Please help me with my gaming mouse set up.

diablo5597

Dec 30, 2009
I just got a new gaming mouse, the Logitech G500, and I am using it to play modern warfare 2. I was wondering what the optimum settings are to play the game. I realize that a lot of it is about preference but I have a few questions.

1. What dpi should I set it at? The mouse is capable of going up to 5700dpi. From what I understand which isn't much, is that the higher the dpi is set, the smoother the pointer will be. Also, setting the dpi up high makes the mouse go faster. So once i find a speed I like, should I try to get that speed by making the dpi as high as I can and then lowering the sensitivity? That should be better than low dpi and high sensitivity right? Also, keep in mind I can change the sensitivity from the mouse drivers and on the in game sensitivity bar.

2. I set the polling to 1000 instead of the initial 500. Good move?

Let me know what you think.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Practice and find what you like. Some people like the mouse to move fast and be able to spin easier and some like a slower movement.

Mike Gayner

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2007
This is the most retarded thread in PC Gaming currently. You want us to tell you what settings will work best for you?

BTW, higher DPI =/= faster.

diablo5597

Dec 30, 2009
This is the most retarded thread in PC Gaming currently. You want us to tell you what settings will work best for you?

BTW, higher DPI =/= faster.

I'm not very good with computers so I thought I would come here for help. I'm not really asking what will work best for me, I realize that is about preference. I'm asking how different configurations will effect the performance. For example, You can have the mouse set on 5000 dpi or 2000 dpi and by playing with the sensitivity you can make them go the same speed when you move the mouse. How do they differ from each other? Will the 5000 dpi setting be smoother? Is it negligible?

ScorcherDarkly

Aug 7, 2009
How do they differ from each other? Will the 5000 dpi setting be smoother? Is it negligible?

You won't notice a difference. I'm not familiar with your mouse, but if it will let you increment your dpi on the fly, its nice to be able to do in fps games to when switching between long range shots like sniping (lower dpi for a steadier shot) and close quarters battles when you need to be twitchy (higher dpi for quicker movement). I don't ever touch the mouse sensitivity setting in my games since I can adjust the dpi on the mouse so easily.

Kalmah

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2003
My guess would be to turn the dpi all the way up on the mouse, then turn the speed way down in game. That way you get the best precision to begin with.

I've never owned a gaming mouse though.. so this is just speculation.

PieIsAwesome

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2007
Increasing the DPI setting increases the mouses precision. If its too fast reduce the pointer speed in windows or the game. Increasing the dpi setting wont do much after a certain point, as long as the cursor doesn't skip pixels you are good, but it doesn't hurt to set it all the way up.

I have my Deathadder set to 450 dpi with the pointer speed setting in the middle. I haven't set it to its max 1800 dpi because I am too lazy to find the dpi/pointer speed combination that matches its current sensitivity, which I like, and there wouldn't really be any point because tis already precise enougha t this setting.

CoinOperatedBoy

Golden Member
Dec 11, 2008
My guess would be to turn the dpi all the way up on the mouse, then turn the speed way down in game. That way you get the best precision to begin with.

I've never owned a gaming mouse though.. so this is just speculation.

The opposite is true.

CoinOperatedBoy

Golden Member
Dec 11, 2008
Can you explain this to me please because I thought it was true.

I'm glad someone called me on my comment, because I had misread the person I quoted. Their assumption is correct and I was wrong. It's a good idea to use a low in-game sensitivity and benefit from the DPI bump on the mouse.