Question Please help me understand why this setup doesn't have gsync selectable in the driver

Caveman

Platinum Member
Nov 18, 1999
Per title, HW is:

Gsync Compatible Monitor (165Hz): https://www.msi.com/Monitor/Optix-MAG274QRF-QD
Graphics Card: 4090 FE

Monitor is connected via the HDMI (2.0b)

Adapative sync is on the monitor

There is no choice for gsync in the driver. Wondering why... Others seem to think switching to DP solved their issue but can this be right?

There seem to be conflicting answers from "VRR only works on DP" to "yes it works over HDMI"... To the latter sentiment, I see that the LG C3 TV marketed with Gsync only has HDMI (no DP), so by deduction, it must work.

Again, wondering why my driver doesn't have gsync as something I can enable.

daveybrat

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jan 31, 2000
I think Gsync requires a DP connection. Both of my monitors have Gsync enabled through DP.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
What driver set?

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
It appears that you are experiencing issues enabling G-Sync with your MSI Optix MAG274QRF-QD monitor and an Nvidia RTX 4090 FE graphics card over HDMI. G-Sync compatibility can sometimes be affected by specific monitor and cable combinations. Here are some points to consider:

G-Sync Compatibility: G-Sync compatibility can vary depending on the specific monitor and the version of G-Sync technology it supports. Some monitors are labeled as "G-Sync Compatible," which means they support Nvidia's adaptive sync technology over HDMI or DisplayPort. Other monitors are labeled as "G-Sync Ultimate" or "G-Sync" and may have stricter requirements.

HDMI vs. DisplayPort: While G-Sync compatibility is possible over HDMI in some cases, G-Sync has historically been more closely associated with DisplayPort. Nvidia has typically recommended using DisplayPort for the best G-Sync experience. However, G-Sync Compatible monitors should support it over HDMI as well.
Is this a chatGPT thing? It reads like chatGPT.
(Apologies if you are human!)