Please help me to put THIS GUY DOWN...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

petez

Apr 23, 2001
Here is his latest message...Not sure what to do with it though...

Never been removed by anyone from Ebay nor have we ever left ebay since
becoming a seller in 2000. Check our feedback and beginning member date.

I even offered you a refund, should have taken it before you pulled all of
this stuff.

Lets see who ends up being removed. A guy (you) who violates ebay policy
(feedback violation, threatening emails, links, etc) or a seller with 6
figure ebay sales every month, great feedback and an Ebay Personal
Representative.

BY THE WAY, CHECK OUR FEEDBACK RATING, YOU WILL SEE YOUR NEGATIVE HAS
ALREADY BEEN REMOVED BY OUR EBAY REPRESENTATIVE.

Here's the link just in case you don't believe me
http://cgi2.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?StoreFeedback&id=14901996

Would you like to see how fast I can remove you?

I suggest you drop this before I forward all your and your friends
threatening emails to my Ebay Rep & our Legal Attorneys and have you removed
for additional violations as well as prosecuted under the legal system.

If you continue with any more threats, emails or any other things you might
think of, I will prosecute you via Ebay and our Attorney's.

I may not be a tech head, but I am very well educated in Business and Legal
matters.

Keith

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, April 18, 2003 6:59 PM
To: khower@wi.rr.com
Subject: RE: Hey, thanks for the negative

Don't worry, man
We expect to remove you and get our refund soon once we get ourselves
together. Ebay will see who is really "nice" in this case. BTW, I've heard
somebody came across you before and he did remove you from Ebay once.
You will see,

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
Originally posted by: Citrix
and another reason i will never ever buy crap from egay.

we have a great forum here for buying/selling..... why are you even taking chances there of all places?

Ranger X

Lifer
Mar 18, 2000
It's ironic how people get scammed everyday on eBay, yet, we all use it and can't stop using it. :D

I hate how eBay will do the minimum to protect the buyers. Pay with PayPal next time ... they *may* (and the keyword is 'may') help you next time.

LuNoTiCK

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2001
I hope you can take that guy out. If it was me, I would have just ate the shipping loss, but hopefully you can get him removed from ebay.

AUMM

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2001
Originally posted by: Alistar7
Originally posted by: Citrix
and another reason i will never ever buy crap from egay.

we have a great forum here for buying/selling..... why are you even taking chances there of all places?

because half the people on ebay are morons and will pay more than an item is worth. but then of course you have to worry about possibly getting screwed.

cjchaps

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2000
It appears that in this latest auction for the drive(linky) he has actually changed the description of how fast the drive is:
Speed 8X 4X 24X CD-RW Drive + 8X DVD-ROM

Also, what is the point of the eBay feedback system if this guy can just request to have negative feedback removed???

Be sure to keep records of everything, and save his original listing just in case.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: petez
Damn him, why did he change it?
The original auction is still linked above. I suggest you copy the link. The fact that he has amended his fraud does not change that he commited fraud with you. In fact, you may notice that he is advertising the same model # drive but with the different speeds? Why don't you quit foolishly gang-banging on this con artist like 15-year-olds and approach this politely, assertively, and intelligently (no offense)? After all, you are the injured party not him. Send Ebay the link to your auction (advertising the 24x drive) and the link to his new auction (changed to 8x), explain to them calmly the issue, including this seller's deception and threats (that last email was all threats, rest assured he knows nothing of business using those scare tactics). Using the obvious differences in those 2 pages, it shouldn't be hard to prove his deceptions.
Good luck, as someone who has worked in sales for many years, all I can is that dishonest sellers like him sicken me (and strengthen my desire to never again use Ebay).

rtilghman

Apr 22, 2003

I'm sorry, but I don't want to help you in this (you emailed me regarding a similar auction I won on eBay recently). I don't like the tones either of you struck in your correspondence (very combative and accusatory in both directions), but I just paid for mine and am satisfied with the order.

Yes, he was obviously mistaken about the 24/10/24/8 layout and what cd-r, cd, cd-rw means. I'm not sure how he could sell electronics and not understand that cd-r and cd-rw are two totally diffferent things. However, he did make a good faith offer to refund your money sans shipping for the mistake, and I have found that that is the SOP (standard operating procedure) on eBay. Yes, he should refund the shipping as well, but you should expect a little dirt with any eBay purchase and go in anticipating a nightmare (eBay is a neccessary evil as I think we can all agree). I don't use eBay unless I absolutely have to.

Should he have supplied the drive advertised in the auction even though he was mistaken? No, I don't think so. If you follow ecommerce (I work in the industry) then you know there was a big uproar about misposted goods being bought at ridiculously low prices and not shipped out by many places like buy.com, dell, etc. a few years back. The argument was that just because someone screws up the posting doesn't mean a retailer has to eat $10k for a bunch of laptops that got sold at $5... as long as they offer to refund your money or give you the optin of opting out of teh purchase at the real price there isn't much else you can ask for.

In the end I also think you failed to realize something important here. The x200 mediabase optical cd-rw drive from Dell is $199 for the version he sells, and $249 for the 24/10/24 version. This makes $140 fairly reasonable. Add to that that you can't get the special bezel and plastic needed to slap in another drive (the mediabase uses all unique parts, something that has me all annoyed) and the choices are fairly limited. Yeah, you could buy a standard 24x cd only drive for the mediabase from dell, strip the bezel off, and slap it on an sd-r2102 you got somewhere else. However, the price is going to be much closer to the Dell price anyway. I've searched endlessly for a bezel only purchase and haven't been able to ffind it. Additionally, Dell doesn't sell the bezel on its own unfortunately.

Just my two cents. Good luck with the whole thing either way.

regards,
boc

dabuddha

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Originally posted by: rtilghman
I'm sorry, but I don't want to help you in this (you emailed me regarding a similar auction I won on eBay recently). I don't like the tones either of you struck in your correspondence (very combative and accusatory in both directions), but I just paid for mine and am satisfied with the order.

Yes, he was obviously mistaken about the 24/10/24/8 layout and what cd-r, cd, cd-rw means. I'm not sure how he could sell electronics and not understand that cd-r and cd-rw are two totally diffferent things. However, he did make a good faith offer to refund your money sans shipping for the mistake, and I have found that that is the SOP (standard operating procedure) on eBay. Yes, he should refund the shipping as well, but you should expect a little dirt with any eBay purchase and go in anticipating a nightmare (eBay is a neccessary evil as I think we can all agree). I don't use eBay unless I absolutely have to.

Should he have supplied the drive advertised in the auction even though he was mistaken? No, I don't think so. If you follow ecommerce (I work in the industry) then you know there was a big uproar about misposted goods being bought at ridiculously low prices and not shipped out by many places like buy.com, dell, etc. a few years back. The argument was that just because someone screws up the posting doesn't mean a retailer has to eat $10k for a bunch of laptops that got sold at $5... as long as they offer to refund your money or give you the optin of opting out of teh purchase at the real price there isn't much else you can ask for.

In the end I also think you failed to realize something important here. The x200 mediabase optical cd-rw drive from Dell is $199 for the version he sells, and $249 for the 24/10/24 version. This makes $140 fairly reasonable. Add to that that you can't get the special bezel and plastic needed to slap in another drive (the mediabase uses all unique parts, something that has me all annoyed) and the choices are fairly limited. Yeah, you could buy a standard 24x cd only drive for the mediabase from dell, strip the bezel off, and slap it on an sd-r2102 you got somewhere else. However, the price is going to be much closer to the Dell price anyway. I've searched endlessly for a bezel only purchase and haven't been able to ffind it. Additionally, Dell doesn't sell the bezel on its own unfortunately.

Just my two cents. Good luck with the whole thing either way.

regards,
boc

Sorry but that's just not acceptable. I bought a HP scanner from a person with few thousand positive feedbacks about 2 years ago. The damn thing scanned so horribly (grainy scans, etc.) The seller told me that?s how scanners are which was BS. He then said he'd refund my money minus the shipping costs and I?d have to pay to ship it back to him as well. Of course I said no and told him he has a choice, either refund the full amount and pay to ship the POS back or I'd take it to the next level. After taking the hard stance, he refunded me the full amount plus $20 to ship it back to him. Paid ~$16.00 to ship it back to him and sent back the extra $4 to him. You have to take a hard stance against these idiots. Don't believe his threats. He knows he screwed up. Make sure and keep a copy of the auction and email eBay every day about this idiot. Also email all of his bidders regarding his selling practices.

rtilghman

Apr 22, 2003

It's reallty a Question of effort and what you see as important.

I don't see the point of battling it out for a $10 shipping fee. Yeah, he should cover the cost of returning a misrepresented product, but I make over $200/hr and can't afford to waste my time chasing this guy down or pursue someone in court over the price of a plain cheese pizza.

As for the return, you received a defective scanner, so of course you would want your money back. However, your experience involved a defective product while this guy got aq working but misrepresented drive. This guy didn't get a defective product, he just got a mislabeled product from a boob who doesn't understand how cd-rw drives are labeled (or is trying to pull a fast one).

Regardless of malicious intent, the correspondence indicates he got his maney refunded once the seller understood his mistake without a hitch.

-rt