Please Help!! Asrock P67 Smoked!! Need new Motherboard Suggestions Urgently--

x26

Sep 17, 2007
Hi All;

I flashed Asrock P67 BIOS--Said Sucessful--It wasn't. Smoke and burning smell.

I need a New Motherboard--ASUS Please--that will work with my 2500k and all the new intel cpu's out and coming out.

Price is not that important--want ASUS. Please help with suggestions so I can order now--

* Would like to buy from AMAZON--no Tax and Prime shipping.

Which one??

ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-P8Z77-V-DELUXE-Intel-Motherboard/dp/B007G51VEQ/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

OR

ASUS P8Z77-V PRO/THUNDERBOLT LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.amazon.com/P8Z77-V-PRO-T...rboard/dp/B008B6OO1G/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Thanks so Much!!

Last edited:

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
Smoke from flashing a BIOS??? o_O

People seem to be happier with the P8Z77-V Deluxe, it gets my vote from the two unless you need PCI slots.

x26

Sep 17, 2007
Smoke from flashing a BIOS??? o_O

People seem to be happier with the P8Z77-V Deluxe, it gets my vote from the two unless you need PCI slots.

Flashed BIOS--Claimed it was sucessful--rebooted and would not boot into windows--Swapped out Memory and Puff--Smell of Burning component--Dead--

Has not happened in 20 years of Computer Building--First time for everything!!

bankster55

Golden Member
Mar 24, 2010
just get the Z77 V Pro $210 at amazon
best all round mainstream board
If you must have the extra features, I guess you could get the deluxe

I might mention that with these 1155 mobo one should never ever swap ram with PSU still plugged in and lights still on on mobo (caps not discharged)
The +5VSB is always on and since the RAM slots only have one lock you cant pull the sticks straight up - just asking for trouble, angling them out with juice still live.

Sleepingforest

Platinum Member
Nov 18, 2012
I would not get any of these boards. I would get the P8Z77-LX at most, because honestly, what could these more expensive boards possibly get you (particularly the P8Z77-V Deluxe)? The cost doesn't really justify the features you're getting, unless you value the Thunderbolt port on the P8Z77-V Pro/Thunderbolt at over $100 over, say, the Asrock Pro3 ($90). Even the P8Z77-V doesn't really show it's worth when a Biostar board ($120) is equally good for overclocking. A Wifi dongle just isn't worth $70.

Seriously, even if money is no object, you should still care about what is being spent and why. You know that for at least one major retailer that Asus has the highest return rate, right? More than twice that of Asrock. I'm not saying that Asus is bad, but I'm saying that it isn't magically better than Asrock just for costing more.

Last edited:

Vectronic

Jan 9, 2013
Since money isn't very important, and you want some future-proofing, then I agree with Crashtech, between those two, go with the Deluxe unless you really need/are interested in Thunderbolt.

Deluxe is a better built board, and better at overclocking (maybe not important now, in 2 years when Haswells are becoming Skylakes it might be).

Otherwise no real reference point... to do what? what else is in your system? etc.

x26

Sep 17, 2007
just get the Z77 V Pro $210 at amazon
best all round mainstream board
If you must have the extra features, I guess you could get the deluxe

I might mention that with these 1155 mobo one should never ever swap ram with PSU still plugged in and lights still on on mobo (caps not discharged)
The +5VSB is always on and since the RAM slots only have one lock you cant pull the sticks straight up - just asking for trouble, angling them out with juice still live.

Thanks Bankster-
I just ordered the Deluxe--I hate to cheap out on Motherboards Features/Quality/Reliability, etc.

Good suggestion about unplugging PSU--I wonder if that RAM is Cooked as well?

x26

Sep 17, 2007
Since money isn't very important, and you want some future-proofing, then I agree with Crashtech, between those two, go with the Deluxe unless you really need/are interested in Thunderbolt.

Deluxe is a better built board, and better at overclocking (maybe not important now, in 2 years when Haswells are becoming Skylakes it might be).

Otherwise no real reference point... to do what? what else is in your system? etc.

Thanks for response!

x26

Sep 17, 2007
I would not get any of these boards. I would get the P8Z77-LX at most, because honestly, what could these more expensive boards possibly get you (particularly the P8Z77-V Deluxe)? The cost doesn't really justify the features you're getting, unless you value the Thunderbolt port on the P8Z77-V Pro/Thunderbolt at over $100 over, say, the Asrock Pro3 ($90). Even the P8Z77-V doesn't really show it's worth when a Biostar board ($120) is equally good for overclocking. A Wifi dongle just isn't worth $70.

Seriously, even if money is no object, you should still care about what is being spent and why. You know that for at least one major retailer that Asus has the highest return rate, right? More than twice that of Asrock. I'm not saying that Asus is bad, but I'm saying that it isn't magically better than Asrock just for costing more.

Thanks for your input;

Hard to believe ASUS QC--First bootup failure--has increased so much since 1998 when they were by far the most reliable by leaps and bounds on any other MB--in 1998--When I actually worked at Treasure Chest Computers. :)

x26

Sep 17, 2007
I recieved the Asus P8Z77 Deluxe from Amazon--Prime overnight $3.99--

Installed and running Flawlessly so far...
Still need to finish installing some stuff--but so far so good;
Board Truly exudes Quality--as it should for $269.00.

Thanks for Help everyone!! :)

tweakboy

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2010
www.hammiestudios.com
Hi All;

I flashed Asrock P67 BIOS--Said Sucessful--It wasn't. Smoke and burning smell.

I need a New Motherboard--ASUS Please--that will work with my 2500k and all the new intel cpu's out and coming out.

Price is not that important--want ASUS. Please help with suggestions so I can order now--

* Would like to buy from AMAZON--no Tax and Prime shipping.

Which one??

ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-P8Z77-V-D...pr_product_top

OR

ASUS P8Z77-V PRO/THUNDERBOLT LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.amazon.com/P8Z77-V-PRO-TH...pr_product_top

Thanks so Much!!

You should have bought a ASUS from the beginning and we wouldnt have these problems. gl