Please close this

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
PLEASE CLOSE THIS

I am looking to get something that would combine the functions of a 3D computer monitor, and a television. That being said, as I understand, I DO NOT need this to be a full blown TV because I have a cable box. (correct me if I am wrong)

I dont think I need a tuner or any antennae becuase my cable box has an HDMI port so it will take care of all the channels and all that. The TV/monitor is just an output, no?

Aside from this as already mentioned, I need this to be a capable 3D monitor for gaming, so that it would have that capability to create fancy graphics with nvidia glasses. (dont know much about that stuff) and I will also play my Xbox 360 and PS3 on this thing, so 3d for that would be nice as well.

I dont want this to be very big. Something around 37 inches or a little less.

What features should I be looking for? Is 120Hz enough or should I look for 240? Is it possible to get something like this for $500 or BELOW?

Thanks very much.

PLEASE CLOSE THIS

Last edited:

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
most 3d monitors aren't much bigger than 23". but i know Samsung has one that's 27" $566. Not sure how many HDMI ports it has though.

also, if you want to play PS3 in 3d. you need to use the glasses that come with your tv or monitor. so make sure such is available. Not sure if its possible to get NV glasses to work with PS3, but i doubt it.
careful of cheap 3d displays. ghosting is serious

Last edited:

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
i don't think what you're looking for even exists at this point...check back in 3-4 years.

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
So I guess I have to get either/or.... But then why are there TVs with 240Hz refresh rate? Isn't that better than 120Hz?

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
So I guess I have to get either/or.... But then why are there TVs with 240Hz refresh rate? Isn't that better than 120Hz?

in 3d its 60hz per eye. the 240hz plus stuff is mostly marketing i believe. i think they add a frame or something but either way its for 2d, i'm pretty sure frame adding is off in 3d.

blanketyblank

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
Sony sells their 23" 3d TV display. I've heard it's not that great a monitor, but it's relatively cheap for what I've heard is a nice looking albeit glossy VA monitor. There is also an interesting Samsung monitor on Newegg for 350, but reading the reviews it seems to only work with ATI cards as you only get the 120 Hz out of display port.
Since you're looking for an NV card you'll probably need to get one of the monitors on this list:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-vision-system-requirements.html

kami

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
What you are looking for doesn't really exist. 120hz/240hz TVs still only accept a 60hz signal. They just interpolate it to something higher. If you want a 3d vision monitor that is true 120hz, the biggest you are gonna get right now is 27 inches. 3d vision 2 just came out and the first monitor that supports it is the Asus vg278h. The main benefit of a 3d vision 2 monitor over an older one is more brightness. Running in 3d mode lowers the brightness considerably but with 3dv2 it is a lot better. It's called "Lightboost."