Please check out my Resume

TommyVercetti

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2003
Is this how it's going to look like, or did you just do a fast conversion from DOC to HTML?

Did you just use the most basic Word resume template?

ajpa123

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2003
If i was the guy hiring you i would be singing:

:music: Dude, we're gettin O'Dell! :music:

Seriously, i like it.. tonz of experience.. you shouldnt have much problem gettin a decent job .. Good Luck !
Sorry about the lame-ass joke.

Dufman

Golden Member
Dec 29, 2002
Originally posted by: ajpa123
If i was the guy hiring you i would be singing:

:music: Dude, we're gettin O'Dell! :music:

Seriously, i like it.. tonz of experience.. you shouldnt have much problem gettin a decent job .. Good Luck !
Sorry about the lame-ass joke.

i couldnt even tell you how many times i have heard that since that annoying pot head steve started doing thoes dell commercials.

Feldenak

Lifer
Jan 31, 2003
Hide your real info from the animals here.

Your objective is a little bland. If you write a decent cover letter you can do away with the objective entirely.

Ditch the template. According to a friend of mine people can spot a *.doc template from 20 paces.

Your info at the top is jumbled. I'm assuming that's from converting it to HTML from Word?

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I don't see what want, or even can, do. It seems like it lacks focus and detail, because it seems like you do everything from managing carnival rides to doing databases. What is an "entry level computer consulting position?"

Dufman

Golden Member
Dec 29, 2002
Originally posted by: Descartes
I don't see what want, or even can, do. It seems like it lacks focus and detail, because it seems like you do everything from managing carnival rides to doing databases. What is an "entry level computer consulting position?"

Snake river falls isnt a carnie ride, it is a HUGE water ride at Cedar Point.
i am planning on writing a cover letter to describe my can do's and wants better. This is just my first attempt at a decent resume, and i think i did ok.

Feldenak

Lifer
Jan 31, 2003

Good point.

Duffman, try hitting up the websites of some accounting firms to see what they're looking for. When you've narrowed it down, you can ditch the objective and then tailor a cover letter to each specific consulting company you're interested in.

DougK62

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2001
Remove the objective - it's not needed.

Remove your interests. It's extremely unprofessional to have on a resume.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
There were some conversion problems, but I'll ingore all of that.

When evaluating that I keep thinking of one thing. Average. There is nothing in that resume that really makes you stand out from the pack. If I were hiring a computer consultant, I don't see any reason why I should hire you instead of the 100 other applicants. I realize that is quite a tall order I'm giving you, but really think about it. Is there anything that really makes you a desireable employee?

For example: "Completed basic office work as assigned". Doesn't anyone who worked at the same job from 2001 to 2004 fit that category? If you didn't do the jobs you were assigned you would have been fired. Thus that falls into the "duh" category. That line doesn't make you sound like a great employee, it doesn't make you sound any better at all. It is just another boring statement in a file full of boring resumes.

Is there anything at all that makes you stand out more from the crowd? Your short and bland objective is a great place to improve this overall "average" or "blah" feeling I get from your resume. Obviously working on winning awards, or doing something similar will also remove the blahness but that will take some time.

I'd also drop the interests section. A section like that can only hurt your employment chances.

Dufman

Golden Member
Dec 29, 2002
Originally posted by: dullard

When evaluating that I keep thinking of one thing. Average. There is nothing in that resume that really makes you stand out from the pack. If I were hiring a computer consultant, I don't see any reason why I should hire you instead of the 100 other applicants. I realize that is quite a tall order I'm giving you, but really think about it. Is there anything that really makes you a desireable employee?

For example: "Completed basic office work as assigned". Doesn't anyone who worked at the same job from 2001 to 2004 fit that category? If you didn't do the jobs you were assigned you would have been fired. Thus that falls into the "duh" category. That line doesn't make you sound like a great employee, it doesn't make you sound any better at all. It is just another boring statement in a file full of boring resumes.

Is there anything at all that makes you stand out more from the crowd? Your short and bland objective is a great place to improve this overall "average" or "blah" feeling I get from your resume. Obviously working on winning awards, or doing something similar will also remove the blahness but that will take some time.

I'd also drop the interests section. A section like that can only hurt your employment chances.

i think the fact that as a 20-21 year old student, i managed a large budget. i think that shows a lot of focus and trust from my bosses to give me that power.

also, i do not know anyone who works 2 jobs and takes 15 credits, and still passes all of the classes. granted not with a 4.0, but i get by.

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Dufman

i think the fact that as a 20-21 year old student, i managed a large budget. i think that shows a lot of focus and trust from my bosses to give me that power.

also, i do not know anyone who works 2 jobs and takes 15 credits, and still passes all of the classes. granted not with a 4.0, but i get by.

Then expound on that some more, because right now it looks like you want to be a junior developer and/or a carnival manager or something. You listed VB, C, and Java as skills; could you perform all the necessary tasks of a junior developer if hired based on those skills? If so, why did you almost mention that very high-level knowledge in passing? I just don't understand why you felt it was important to note that you 'Ensured safety of 5000 guests per day", but you mention three programming languages as though it's almost a superfluous detail.

Let's put it this way: I work in a consulting firm, and if provided you resume I wouldn't know what the you wanted (or could) do. You should have a resume that's somewhat specialized for the job to which you're applying, and in the case of a position in computers I think the knowledge of three programming languages would supercede your ride manager experience.

Dufman

Golden Member
Dec 29, 2002

Then expound on that some more, because right now it looks like you want to be a junior developer and/or a carnival manager or something. You listed VB, C, and Java as skills; could you perform all the necessary tasks of a junior developer if hired based on those skills? If so, why did you almost mention that very high-level knowledge in passing? I just don't understand why you felt it was important to note that you 'Ensured safety of 5000 guests per day", but you mention three programming languages as though it's almost a superfluous detail.

Let's put it this way: I work in a consulting firm, and if provided you resume I wouldn't know what the you wanted (or could) do. You should have a resume that's somewhat specialized for the job to which you're applying, and in the case of a position in computers I think the knowledge of three programming languages would supercede your ride manager experience.

Thank you very much for your great input. I really appriecate it. I guess i am more proud of the fact that i have been a leader through out my college carear. i am proud that i know programming languages, but anyone applying for a job like this will have thoes same skills.
When i revise this, i will use your suggestions to help make a better resume.

Feldenak

Lifer
Jan 31, 2003

Thank you very much for your great input. I really appriecate it. I guess i am more proud of the fact that i have been a leader through out my college carear. i am proud that i know programming languages, but anyone applying for a job like this will have thoes same skills.

If you have a Career Development Center on your campus I strongly suggest you make use of its resources. Also, see if you can find any friends in tech writing. I have a friend who is working on his masters in tech writing and his input was invaluable.

Dufman

Golden Member
Dec 29, 2002
Originally posted by: Feldenak

If you have a Career Development Center on your campus I strongly suggest you make use of its resources. Also, see if you can find any friends in tech writing. I have a friend who is working on his masters in tech writing and his input was invaluable.

i have a class next semester that we do technical writing and develop resume's in. so i am not worried about going to the career development center just yet