Question Please Advise: Senior to Upgrade to get FREE W11Pro?

SiHawk

Dec 3, 2012
My present system, while not old, does not qualify for MS to give me free W11Pro, but instead of buying a whole new system, I am considering replacing about everything in my Case, except my SSD "C" Drive and my other Hard Drive. I am assuming we have until 2025 to do this and still get our FREE W11 OS!
If I did it right now, I am looking to build around something like the i5 12600K, if I decided to do that now, appears I'd be in @ $500 for that CPU and a GOOD MOBO, then I'd need new Memory, a Cooling fan for the CPU, and probably a NEW PSU. Right now I guess, we have around 3 years to do this, so if I waited till 2023 that CPU would probably be at lease $50 cheaper + Memory too.
I would sure appreciate any/all advice from 'puter wise people here to enable me to make the BEST/Wisest decisions that will be best for a Senior who lives on Soc. Security alone.....TKS

Jimminy

May 19, 2020
Win10 isn't going away any time soon. If you're comfortable with your current PC, then stick with it.

That's exactly what I'm doing. After 2025, I hope to be able to buy a refurbed dell, lenovo, or hp tower with win 11 already installed. Right now I'm using an old dell refurb, and it has been a very good machine after adding an SSD and more memory. (I don't play any games or mine bitcoins though)

Refurbs aren't as good as building your own, using high end components, but a hell of a lot cheaper for old retired guys like me :)

Reactions: SiHawk

SiHawk

Dec 3, 2012
A couple of the reasons I have been thinking this was my BEST Plan....my "C" Drive has W 10 PRO on it and I do have quite afew GOOD Games on my other hard drive, so IF I installed one of the NEW Intel CPUs' with W 11 PRO I'd be using the NEW built in Security/performance built ins in that CPU + all of those games would still be useable w/o having to reinstall them. Truth be told though - I have not been playing any of those games for many moons. I am now definitely leaning more toward the wiser/conservative suggestions shared here - finally, start acting my age at 82, God only knows, I may not be here that much longer anyway.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
W11 is a bit more of a new skin vs performance upgrade at this point. I upgraded my laptop to it to squelch all of the W10 update bombardment. It still needs some tweaks though. It's stable and does what an OS needs to do but nothing special.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
As others have said, Win11 is nothing special except a skin change + capability to run Android APP.

If you definitely need Android APP running on WIndows 11, then use Rufus to burn downloaded Win11 ISO onto a USB drive and fesh install from it.
Rufus adds Windows 11 "Extended" installation support (Disables TPM/Secure Boot) since v3.16

or using registry / powerscript to upgrade

Last edited: