Plea to Smokers Everywhere!

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Turkey22

Nov 28, 2001
Hopefully Darwin will finish off the smokers in time but it's a shame all the pain and suffereing that they will cause along the way.

Ulfwald

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
May 27, 2000
I now deal with stress by walking at night, working out, and listening to music. I have never in my life wanted a cancer stick.

TheCorm

Diamond Member
Nov 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Turkey22
Hopefully Darwin will finish off the smokers in time but it's a shame all the pain and suffereing that they will cause along the way.

If only it were that simple eh?

SagaLore

Elite Member
Dec 18, 2001
Originally posted by: TheCorm

If only it were that simple eh?

Right - if anything, Darwin will accelerate the pervasiveness of smoking, mimicking a new virus humans haven't developed an immunity for yet. The only thing we have going for us non-smokers are higher cig taxes, early education, and public regulations and eforcement. It's like trying to put a stop to a plague - the best you can do is quarentine and prevent new infections.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001

Good gawd the ignorance is astounding. For "Darwin" to "finish off" any trait, it must kill the animal BEFORE it breeds. Last I looked, less than two thirds of people who smoke die prematurely from smoking related diseases. Of those who do die from smoking related causes, the vast majority die well after child bearing age.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: dabuddha
Originally posted by: yayo
Originally posted by: Walleye
How Dare you do this to your family, friends, surrounding people. how dare you keep such a filthy habit that it degrades your health, their health, and all of your financial stability?!?! if you truly love those around you, then you'd stop smoking. Why do this to yourself? if not for you, quit for your family. they love you, and want you to be around longer.

please, rational discussion, no flames.

Go screw urself. How dare you involve yourself with other peoples business.

It is his business and my business and everyone else's business when these moronic empty headed smokers affect my health as well.

It's amazing what people will believe. I bet you have no problem driving in traffic, breathing in the exhaust fumes of thousands of cars each day, yet you catch one whiff of cigarette smoke and start crying about your health.
rolleye.gif

Walleye

Banned
Dec 1, 2002
Originally posted by: Blieb
Originally posted by: Jugernot
You won't get any good replies from this group. Most smokers care about no one but themselves and could care less who else they are killing. Of course, there are always a few who try smoke away from nonsmokers, but they are few and far between.

Jugs

You're obviously:

A) In college
B) Full of yourself.

Only in high school and college did the kids I know not give a f*ck. And since then, they've created new rules.

It's not a smoker's fault they're addicted.

Try not jerking off for a week. Then talk sh!t.
did you mean me?

i'll respond anyway.

no, im in highschool.
yeah, im full of myself. blood, organs, muscles, and bones. yep, keeps me pretty full.

not a smokers fault they're addicted? they're the ones who took up smoking in the first place. they're the ones that continue using said cigarettes. they're the ones who lack the willpower to quit.

my grandfather had been a 30 year smoker, started when red cross gave him cigs when he was in the army. he stopped one day, cold turkey. had been at 2 packs a day, then just stopped. i respect him immensely for that. he's now 90, and learning how to use a computer. he's awesome. :)

Walleye

Banned
Dec 1, 2002
Originally posted by: ausm
Originally posted by: LeeTJ
Originally posted by: Walleye How Dare you do this to your family, friends, surrounding people. how dare you keep such a filthy habit that it degrades your health, their health, and all of your financial stability?!?! if you truly love those around you, then you'd stop smoking. Why do this to yourself? if not for you, quit for your family. they love you, and want you to be around longer. please, rational discussion, no flames.
you preach to people and then say you want a rational discussion? your title is EXCEEDINGLY misleading, what you posted isn't a PLEA, it's a fvcking sermon. i'm not a smoker and i find what you posted offensive.

I thought his little speech was very comical...oh BTW I smoke and dealing with society that puts a tax paying law abiding citizen on a lower rung then a aids infested hatian prositute really pisses me off...

Ausm

er... i dont support aids infested hatian prostitutes. i'd say send em back to hatia, but they got enough problems. hmm... where to send all the aids infested people of the world.... how about bikini? isnt it still a fallout zone? that might work!

Walleye

Banned
Dec 1, 2002
Originally posted by: Jugernot You won't get any good replies from this group. Most smokers care about no one but themselves and could care less who else they are killing. Of course, there are always a few who try smoke away from nonsmokers, but they are few and far between. Jugs
You're obviously: A) In college B) Full of yourself. Only in high school and college did the kids I know not give a f*ck. And since then, they've created new rules. It's not a smoker's fault they're addicted. Try not jerking off for a week. Then talk sh!t.
did you mean me? i'll respond anyway. no, im in highschool. yeah, im full of myself. blood, organs, muscles, and bones. yep, keeps me pretty full. not a smokers fault they're addicted? they're the ones who took up smoking in the first place. they're the ones that continue using said cigarettes. they're the ones who lack the willpower to quit. my grandfather had been a 30 year smoker, started when red cross gave him cigs when he was in the army. he stopped one day, cold turkey. had been at 2 packs a day, then just stopped. i respect him immensely for that. he's now 90, and learning how to use a computer. he's awesome. :) EDIT: hey dumba$$, i dont jerk off at all. so yes i can talk sh1t.
rolleye.gif

Walleye

Banned
Dec 1, 2002
Originally posted by: Jugernot You won't get any good replies from this group. Most smokers care about no one but themselves and could care less who else they are killing. Of course, there are always a few who try smoke away from nonsmokers, but they are few and far between. Jugs
You're obviously: A) In college B) Full of yourself. Only in high school and college did the kids I know not give a f*ck. And since then, they've created new rules. It's not a smoker's fault they're addicted. Try not jerking off for a week. Then talk sh!t.
did you mean me? i'll respond anyway. no, im in highschool. yeah, im full of myself. blood, organs, muscles, and bones. yep, keeps me pretty full. not a smokers fault they're addicted? they're the ones who took up smoking in the first place. they're the ones that continue using said cigarettes. they're the ones who lack the willpower to quit. my grandfather had been a 30 year smoker, started when red cross gave him cigs when he was in the army. he stopped one day, cold turkey. had been at 2 packs a day, then just stopped. i respect him immensely for that. he's now 90, and learning how to use a computer. he's awesome. :) EDIT: hey dumba$$, i dont jerk off at all. so yes i can talk sh1t.
rolleye.gif

SagaLore

Elite Member
Dec 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Amused
How Dare you do this to your family, friends, surrounding people. how dare you keep such a filthy habit that it degrades your health, their health, and all of your financial stability?!?! if you truly love those around you, then you'd stop smoking. Why do this to yourself? if not for you, quit for your family. they love you, and want you to be around longer.

It is his business and my business and everyone else's business when these moronic empty headed smokers affect my health as well.

It's amazing what people will believe. I bet you have no problem driving in traffic, breathing in the exhaust fumes of thousands of cars each day, yet you catch one whiff of cigarette smoke and start crying about your health.
rolleye.gif

Not only is car exhaust cleaner to breath than cigarette smoke, it's also non-addicting. ;)

Zee

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 1999
i definitely want to quit smoking and i do off and on, but regardless i dont need someone to tell me that

LeeTJ

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2003
Originally posted by: Zeero
i definitely want to quit smoking and i do off and on, but regardless i dont need someone to tell me that

actually don't. don't TRY. serious, untill you have enough motivation and are SURE you are going to be able to quit for good, don't make half hearted attempts. the worst thing to do is let some pissant like walleye get you on a guilt trip that get's you to try and quit and then because of lack of real motivation you start up again.

that quitting and starting up again is almost as addictive a habit as smoking itself.

xirtam

Diamond Member
Aug 25, 2001

actually don't. don't TRY. serious, untill you have enough motivation and are SURE you are going to be able to quit for good, don't make half hearted attempts. the worst thing to do is let some pissant like walleye get you on a guilt trip that get's you to try and quit and then because of lack of real motivation you start up again.

that quitting and starting up again is almost as addictive a habit as smoking itself.

Did you get that from Yoda?

dabuddha

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000

If you truly do, then you will quit.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: SagaLore

rolleye.gif

Not only is car exhaust cleaner to breath than cigarette smoke, it's also non-addicting. ;)

Um, no. addiction is not the issue with ETS, so that's moot. As for "cleaner," you need to get a clue. Car, and especially diesel exhaust is many, many times more carcinogenic than tobacco smoke. And there are proven, valid links between diesel exhaust and cancer.

Fear of ETS is hysteria, nothing more. It's funny to me how people are so afraid something that isn't likely to hurt them, yet wallow in something else every day that is proven harmful.

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
I agree with the original post but we all know it's pointless. People who some are too ignorant to care that them smoking affects everyone else around the. They live in a fantasy world where nothing anyone does affects anyone else.

Whether or not it affects people physically, it does affect them emotionally.

Speaking from personal experience, my wife's parents smoked starting when they were about 15. (they are in their 60s now). Her mom continues to smoke and has to walk around the house with an oxygen tube on because she can't breathe well on her own. Walking up the stairs from the basement causes her to have to take about a half hour break before she can do anything else. She goes in the hospital all the time and doctors have told her she'll be dead within a year if she doesn't stop. But she doesn't. Like I said, Ignorant.

My wife's father got smart and quit a number of years ago but it had already taken it's toll. While he doesn't have to wear any tubing to breathe, he can't do many physical things without having to rest after everything he does.

Her family is very close and when her mom dies because her lungs and the rest of her body fail, it's going to be very harsh. ANd then because her dad will be along and he isn't in great health either, it will be even worse.

SO if you really want or have to smoke, fine. DO what you want. Eventually places will pass laws outlawing smoking in public places and the taxes will put a pack of cigaretts at $8 like it is in New York. But you're still affecting those close to you and if you don't care about that, then it's a wonder anyone cares about you back.

SagaLore

Elite Member
Dec 18, 2001
Originally posted by: xirtam

Did you get that from Yoda?

No, LeeTJ is a chronic smoker who is an executive manager at Marlboro. ;)

xirtam

Diamond Member
Aug 25, 2001
Yoda: "Do or do not. There is no try."

Neo: "Free my mind... no problem... free my mind..."

Bart: DOH!

SagaLore

Elite Member
Dec 18, 2001

rolleye.gif

Um, no. addiction is not the issue with ETS, so that's moot. As for "cleaner," you need to get a clue. Car, and especially diesel exhaust is many, many times more carcinogenic than tobacco smoke. And there are proven, valid links between diesel exhaust and cancer.

Fear of ETS is hysteria, nothing more. It's funny to me how people are so afraid something that isn't likely to hurt them, yet wallow in something else every day that is proven harmful.

I don't think so. You will have to show me a report stating that, with conclusive evidence. Car exhaust is mostly Carbon Dioxide, water vapor, and some carbon monoxide, with only small amounts of other nitrogen/carbon/hydrogen emissions. I agree that diesel exhaust is rather toxic when it doesn't completely burn, but it's also not exhausted at face level, and is only commonly used in large trucks (small ratio compared to cars). Cigarettes are burned at low heat, so the result is a much more unrefined mixtures of heated solids and gases. When tar cools it becomes a solid/liquid again and sits in the lungs. Cigarette smoke has a type of stickiness that turns ordinary objects into sponges - clothes or a room will continue to emit smoke residue even weeks after being subjected. Car exhaust simply disperses into the air and returns to the nature cycle.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001

rolleye.gif

I don't think so. You will have to show me a report stating that, with conclusive evidence. Car exhaust is mostly Carbon Dioxide, water vapor, and some carbon monoxide, with only small amounts of other nitrogen/carbon/hydrogen emissions. I agree that diesel exhaust is rather toxic when it doesn't completely burn, but it's also not exhausted at face level, and is only commonly used in large trucks (small ratio compared to cars). Cigarettes are burned at low heat, so the result is a much more unrefined mixtures of heated solids and gases. When tar cools it becomes a solid/liquid again and sits in the lungs. Cigarette smoke has a type of stickiness that turns ordinary objects into sponges - clothes or a room will continue to emit smoke residue even weeks after being subjected. Car exhaust simply disperses into the air and returns to the nature cycle.

Here's a clue:

Use this search phrase in google: "diesel exhaust" +carcinogens

Then try it with automobile exhaust.

BOTH types of pollution have been verifiably and irrefutably tied to lung diseases including cancer. It doesn't NEED to be "exhausted at face level."

Hell, the pollution from coal fired power plants has been tied to disease.

You can twist it all you want, but to anyone who lives in a populated area, the daily exposure to diesel exhaust is far more likely to cause cancer than ETS.

Compare this to the fact that the vast majority of studies on the health effects of ETS on non-smokers have found NO connection between exposure to ETS and disease. NONE.

Modeps

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000

Shut up, nazi.