Playstation VR - $399 with October ship date.

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
With the free PS+ games, are those games you can download and they are yours to keep forever? Or are they only playable during the free month? Or do they "expire" if you let your PS+ lapse? Like can I just download that Until Dawn VR game now and have it forever? That is one of the games that people said is pretty awesome.

To be clear about one thing, when you get a free game on PlayStation Plus, you are getting a permanent license for the game. However, unlike a standard purchase, the use of the license is conditional upon you being a PS+ subscriber. In other words, if your subscription lapses, the game is unplayable, but once you resubscribe, you can play it again.

They aren't like the XBL Gold games that they give forever even if you aren't a member any longer.

That isn't entirely the case. Microsoft gives you a standard license with Xbox 360 games "purchased" through Xbox Live Gold's Games with Gold promotion; however, Xbox One games attained through that promotion have the exact same stipulation as Sony's PlayStation Plus system. In other words, you need to be subscribed to play them.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Yeah no chance I would spend $400 on headphones. I like good quality audio myself as I have a nice HT with great sound, but I can't really justify that kinda coin for something I'd literally only use for PSVR.

Would spending like $50 - $100 even be "worth" it for some cones? Like are they even decent in that price range?

They can be, but audio is very subjective as you know. It's worth taking a chance from Amazon because they will give you no hassle on a return if they aren't to your liking.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Looks like Amazon is going to be partaking in the $100 off over the next week.

https://bestblackfriday.com/ads/amazon-black-friday/page-5#ad_view

So I hope to snag the Skyrim bundle. I setup an alert on camelcamelcamel so hopefully I'm alerted as soon as it drops.

I was thinking of snagging these and if I didn't like them just returning them back to Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GTL4YSW

They have pretty decent reviews and are only $60.
My brother had those I think for the PS4 I gave him. He liked them and said they were decent. Although he may have had an older model that was compatible with both console and pc. They seem decent for that price.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Snagged those TB headphones so I'll see if their any good once I get the PSVR.

Last edited:

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I did see that bundle, but will that include the new headset model?
I'm not sure I haven't seen any pictures of the side of the box. I would assume so though since it's out after the Skyrim bundle.

GameStop is added to the list of places selling PSVR bundles for $100 off over Thanksgiving.

Chacotako

Apr 29, 2001
According to this thread on reddit, the only bundles that have the new headset are Doom and Skyrim (not GT)? Does that make sense?

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
According to this thread on reddit, the only bundles that have the new headset are Doom and Skyrim (not GT)? Does that make sense?
Yeah the GT one does not have it. I saw a ton of them at BB today and it was the old model. Since the Skyrim one has the new one, I'd suspect any new ones after that will have the new one as well.

Chacotako

Apr 29, 2001
Yeah the GT one does not have it. I saw a ton of them at BB today and it was the old model. Since the Skyrim one has the new one, I'd suspect any new ones after that will have the new one as well.

Okay, that makes sense. Thanks, I haven’t really followed any it.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Okay, that makes sense. Thanks, I haven’t really followed any it.
It's weird though. The GT Bundle I've seen as coming out November 19th, November 17th, and then today I saw like 40+ at Best Buy. And hell even on Best Buy's website it says "coming soon" and shows a release date of the 23rd. I'm not really sure why there is so much discrepancy about it.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
The $100 off is live at Best Buy, Walmart, and GameStop right now. Gonna snag it from BB tomorrow morning when they open.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
They had 1 Skyrim bundle at my local BB so I'm glad I went early to get it. The one near my job had like 40+ GT bundles the other day and a bunch of other bundles/headsets too. Kind of weird how the stock varies so much.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
We're in business!

KiHauip.jpg

There are a lot of wires and things to hook up, but it's all kind of behind the scenes the way I have my stuff setup. I used to care more about wire management until I started getting new shit so now I don't care as much lol. So basically I just have the 1 wire for the headset coming out of the processor box that I sit on top of the PS4 Pro. And then you can see the camera is just sitting on top of my receiver.

I need my other headphones which come tomorrow, the ear buds that come with it are okay but I don't know (yet) how to adjust the volume and it was way too low. I know the ones I got coming tomorrow have an independent volume control on them.

bguile

Nov 30, 2011
We're in business!

There are a lot of wires and things to hook up, but it's all kind of behind the scenes the way I have my stuff setup. I used to care more about wire management until I started getting new shit so now I don't care as much lol. So basically I just have the 1 wire for the headset coming out of the processor box that I sit on top of the PS4 Pro. And then you can see the camera is just sitting on top of my receiver.

I need my other headphones which come tomorrow, the ear buds that come with it are okay but I don't know (yet) how to adjust the volume and it was way too low. I know the ones I got coming tomorrow have an independent volume control on them.

Hope you enjoy it. Skyrim VR is pretty good so far.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
We're in business!

So, are you pretty much just playing in front of your closet? That makes me wonder if I could use it in a weird way too... my PS4 is on one side of the room, which has a doorway right by it. So, I could place the PS4 Camera above the doorway, which I assume would work? The one thing is that I would also need the newer models as I don't want to mess with a control box when trying to use HDR content on the TV, and I'd rather have DOOM over Skyrim. Although, I already own the PS Camera, so if I could just get the updated headset, I'd rather do that.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
So, are you pretty much just playing in front of your closet? That makes me wonder if I could use it in a weird way too... my PS4 is on one side of the room, which has a doorway right by it. So, I could place the PS4 Camera above the doorway, which I assume would work? The one thing is that I would also need the newer models as I don't want to mess with a control box when trying to use HDR content on the TV, and I'd rather have DOOM over Skyrim. Although, I already own the PS Camera, so if I could just get the updated headset, I'd rather do that.
Yeah basically. I have a bunch of fold out chairs in the basement for when people come over to watch football so I used that to sit on. But pretty much everything I did last night was standing. There are some games where standing isn't necessary for sure though but most of the games/demos I tried last night it felt better to stand than sit.

I also noticed that my one Move controller was acting up. I am pretty sure it was because the battery was really low though. I'm going to mess with it a bit more tonight though if I have time and be sure. The London Heist thing on VR Worlds was REALLY fucking cool and I wonder if there are more games like that. The way you pick up things and guns, and then reload by picking up a clip and pushing it into the bottom of your gun, is really cool and feels kind of natural lol. I just wish London Heist was longer it's pretty short. In general VR Worlds is kinda weak but it has 2 things I really like - London Heist and Ocean Discovery. There is some street luge thing which is meh, then this paddle ball game which is meh, and this other game you are in a space rover that was kind of cool but was somewhat disorienting and made me feel a bit dizzy. I definitely felt some sort of "motion sickness" at parts of that game.

As for the bundles, the price of the Doom bundle is really not worth it when you break it down. It's up for preorder at Target for $300 (with the $100 off going on right now) but it still doesn't break down properly.

Headset - $200
Camera - $40
Doom - $30

So you're paying $300 for a bundle that would cost $270 when broken down. It really makes no sense to me. I don't plan on keeping Skyrim (probably won't even open it) but at least I could sell it for like $50 or around there.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Headset - $200
Camera - $40
Doom - $30

So you're paying $300 for a bundle that would cost $270 when broken down. It really makes no sense to me. I don't plan on keeping Skyrim (probably won't even open it) but at least I could sell it for like $50 or around there.

The only problem is that I can't see a way to get the new headset by itself, which is really all that I need. If the change was only the box and I could just buy a new box, I'd be fine with that, but they also added integrated headphones, which is nice. (I've been using the Deluxe Audio Strap with my Vive too.)

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
The only problem is that I can't see a way to get the new headset by itself, which is really all that I need. If the change was only the box and I could just buy a new box, I'd be fine with that, but they also added integrated headphones, which is nice. (I've been using the Deluxe Audio Strap with my Vive too.)
Gotcha. Yeah that is the cheapest way to get the newest one. Sony hasn't said when stand alones are going to be the new version. And the normal price is $300 anyways so chances are it'll be $300 when it happens.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Alright I think I'm more sold now after playing some more last night. I was just playing some stuff on the V2 demo disc that came with the bundle (and is also available for download for free).

Fantastic Contraption - just a cool little puzzle game. I like how they use the 3D space for this. I thought it was very intriguing and engaging.
Tiny Trax - this is like a 3D version of RC Pro Am on NES. The track kind of stays in the same spot and you control cars RC Pro Am style but the track is 3D and you're looking all around following the cars. Pretty neat.
Job Simulator - a cheesy game where you're in an office building making coffee, firing people, checking email, etc. It's kind of funny but I found myself just throwing shit at other cubicles.
Moss - probably my favorite VR game yet and I can't wait to buy it in February when it comes out. You are like an overlord but you also control this little mouse through the world and solve little puzzles and do some combat. The demo has like 4 or 5 rooms to play through, I really want more.
Eve: Valkyrie - pretty neat space shooter game but it was a bit disorienting. Graphics on this were really good though and the sound was cool. But damn being able to fly in every direction can be a bit off feeling.
Raw Data - a shooter where you basically have waves of enemies coming at you and you have to fight them off. The graphics weren't that great with a lot of aliasing, but damn this game was fun as shit. It's my first experience of VR where you "move" by pointing and clicking to kind of "teleport" to the spot in front of you, and to turn you press a button that turns you 90 degrees in a direction, but once I got used to it, it was actually very intuitive. And there is something about dual wielding guns in VR that is fun as shit!
Thumper - this was a very trippy rhythm type of game that I enjoyed more than I thought I would. It was pretty awesome in VR and I think that adds an extra layer to it because videos don't really do it justice. I almost got it on Switch a while back and am glad I didn't because this will be the way to do it if I get it.
Rez Infinite - only game I didn't like, very "meh" on rails shooter where you aim with your head.

There were a few other demo's I didn't get a chance to check out yet but from the descriptions they seemed kind of not my type of game, but I'll give them a go at some point.