Playing X-COM

Geosurface

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2012
Never did play the original, to my everlasting shame.

I'm really enjoying Enemy Unknown though. I can see now why the original had such a good reputation.

It seems like it must be pretty similar to the original, is that fair to say?

Very cool game.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
For me it started out fun but because the number of maps are so few it kind of got old later on. Also it has a lot of fatal flaws; there is really not much in the way of time limit so no choices need to be made in what you build, research or buy. Just take forever and you can build everything research everything and buy everything.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
For me it started out fun but because the number of maps are so few it kind of got old later on. Also it has a lot of fatal flaws; there is really not much in the way of time limit so no choices need to be made in what you build, research or buy. Just take forever and you can build everything research everything and buy everything.

You haven't played on classic have you? Try taking on Mutons with assault rifles while you're "taking forever" to research everything.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Original is a far better game then the new version out,even XCOM-Apocalypse is a better game,better inventory,more maps,more bases etc...

However its not a bad game.

Last edited:

Anteaus

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2010
As with other Firaxis remakes they keep the spirit while streamlining the game and make it more accessable. They did a great job with XCOM, just as they did with Pirates. If you are looking for the original X-COM verbatum with just new graphics, you'll never ever be satisfied. If you judge it by what it's trying to be and not what fans say it "should" be, then you'll find it's great experience overall.

There is one rule that I've learned when dealing with remakes: Nostalgia will win everytime.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
btw I never played the original; but I have played (imho) better turn base strategy games.

Born2bwire

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2005
I've been playing the new one a bit and I would agree that they addressed a lot of the annoyances and so forth in the original. In fact, I haven't really come across anything that I found particularly annoying. There are things that I would like to change in the new one, but it's still a pretty solid package. There are a lot of things that I liked about the original, and honestly, you can always get it pretty cheap off of Steam and whatnot. If I wanted to play XCOM: UFO, I could just boot it up in DOSBox. If you like the new one, it's certainly worth a go. There was more micromanagement in the old one. You could build multiple bases, had to keep track of inventories more carefully, had to build extra facilities to add more staff and storage. Certainly nice though that I don't have to worry about my soldiers shooting each other in the back, though I haven't given classic a go yet.

murphy55d

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
I like the new one. My biggest complaint, as already mentioned, is too few maps.

GaiaHunter

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2008
The old one is pretty good, with a better geoscape mode than the new version.

Enemy Unknown is also a very good game.

Be ready for atrocious UI and controls, though if you play the old XCOM.

Anteaus

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2010
They are already working on an expansion/DLC. Maybe they will add some of the features that the nostaglia hounds talk about.

EDUSAN

Golden Member
Apr 4, 2012
i havent played the new xcom... but everyone seems to be saying "the game is great and feels like the original, but even though its hard it lacks a lot of the strategic the game had and some stuff that added variety to it"(like more maps... where the maps in the old xcom randomly created?)

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
i havent played the new xcom... but everyone seems to be saying "the game is great and feels like the original, but even though its hard it lacks a lot of the strategic the game had and some stuff that added variety to it"(like more maps... where the maps in the old xcom randomly created?)

It was designed with consoles in mind. In terms of console gaming it's probably one of the most complex games you could buy, but from a PC perspective it really is "streamlined". In some ways this good, they cut out a lot of the problems the original had, but with that they took some of the complexity and depth.

As for the maps, that was a design choice. The original's were randomly generated from one of several palettes/environments. The remake features hand-designed maps with night and day variations. This adds more detail and atmosphere at a cost to variety.

Geosurface

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2012
It was designed with consoles in mind. In terms of console gaming it's probably one of the most complex games you could buy, but from a PC perspective it really is "streamlined". In some ways this good, they cut out a lot of the problems the original had, but with that they took some of the complexity and depth.

As for the maps, that was a design choice. The original's were randomly generated from one of several palettes/environments. The remake features hand-designed maps with night and day variations. This adds more detail and atmosphere at a cost to variety.

I've reloaded and started a mission again before to see the map layout quite different.

Geosurface

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2012
I just finished the game.

I had a lot of fun with this!

Maybe I've been wrong to blame myself for all my unfinished games... maybe it's that the games tend to be less engrossing nowadays. Maybe I still have the mojo to finish a game when it's actually good!