Playing Titan Quest again

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
This time I'm using a combination Warrior/Dream Mastery. Using two weapons with a "double weapon" skill kicks ass. I completely wiped out the Telkine in Egypt by just standing there chopping away with both weapons with an occasional Brute Force (I think that's what it's called) move. Click left button for striking, hit right button for health potions. The game is so simple, yet so addictive.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
I got it for $5 last month from Direct2Drive and am playing it now for the first time.

I have a spirit / storm character using mostly melee with the storm aura (cold/lightning damage) and using the life drain spell to heal. It's not a powergaming build but it's fun and I like the Lich pet.

Undead were giving me trouble since the life drain has no effect (= no damage to them, and no health recovery for me) but I found armor with damage resistance against them and a relic to add +24 damage vs undead. Ha ha you (un)die now!

Yep, fun game.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
I had a short sword that could do +50 damage to undead, but my other weapons (one being an axe called Raging Bull) are just too fun.

BTW, I have the axe called "Raging Bull" and a bow call "Ram Bow". hmmmmm.....interesting, i doubt it's coincidental that their names are movie names.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Grab the unofficial Fan Patch.... fixes up a few things :)

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
Yeah I love Titan Quest. It's a Diablo 2 clone and doesn't care.

I played Sacred 2 and it's not bad but I dislike the lack of a town portal spell and the fact that I keep finding the same unique ring/armor around every corner. Also it is far too easy. I never even came close to dying

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Elcs

Can I apply it mid-game or will I need to start over?

kalrith

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2005
Originally posted by: CPA
Originally posted by: Elcs

Can I apply it mid-game or will I need to start over?

You can apply it mid-game just fine. titanquest.net has the fan patch, some good info, and a good following for this game. I'm playing through it for the first time with a Ranger (hunting/nature). I don't have a lot of time to devote to it, so I just made it to Act 2.

Malak

Lifer
Dec 4, 2004
I started a new game with defender/dream, but I ALWAYS do that combo. I need to try something different...

kalrith

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2005
Originally posted by: Malak
I started a new game with defender/dream, but I ALWAYS do that combo. I need to try something different...

With 45 possible choices there's no reason to be the same build again and again. Here's a list of some possible builds. And you can read about all the different classes here.

If you want a challenge, then don't play dream. I've read that it's overpowered compared to the other classes. Also, hunting is pretty overpowered too unless you stick with a spear instead of a bow. If you're set on defender, you could change it up a lot by going with something like storm or spirit. If you want all fighting, you could do warfare/defense or warfare/rogue. My next character is either going to be some sort of melee character or a combination of spirit and storm.

coloumb

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
What about the Paladin build [defense/storm]? or perhaps defense/dream [if that's possible]? :)

Ryland

Platinum Member
Aug 9, 2001
I just finished Immortal Throne last night and found that Hades was much easier to beat than his Generals. I stuck with a sword I picked up in the early game throughout the entire game because of all the buffs that were on it.

Malak

Lifer
Dec 4, 2004
Originally posted by: kalrith

With 45 possible choices there's no reason to be the same build again and again. Here's a list of some possible builds. And you can read about all the different classes here.

If you want a challenge, then don't play dream. I've read that it's overpowered compared to the other classes. Also, hunting is pretty overpowered too unless you stick with a spear instead of a bow. If you're set on defender, you could change it up a lot by going with something like storm or spirit. If you want all fighting, you could do warfare/defense or warfare/rogue. My next character is either going to be some sort of melee character or a combination of spirit and storm.

I've been playing since the game released. My game style has had me playing Defender/Hunter for most of my play until the expansion when I switched to Defender/Dream. Defender is such a nice tree it's hard to avoid using it. Was thinking of skipping dream this time around though and go dual wield, haven't done that yet. Maybe use rogue as my secondary.

kalrith

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2005

I've been playing since the game released. My game style has had me playing Defender/Hunter for most of my play until the expansion when I switched to Defender/Dream. Defender is such a nice tree it's hard to avoid using it. Was thinking of skipping dream this time around though and go dual wield, haven't done that yet. Maybe use rogue as my secondary.

If you're going dual wield, you could go with warfare as there's an entire skill set devoted to dual wield. You could also try going defender/hunter or dream/hunter and use a spear instead of a bow. That would make things more difficult and switch things up a bit.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001

Even though I'm using Dream, I'm finding I am plowing more of my skill points into my Weaponry Mastery - can't get away from upping my dual wield skills - Dual Wield, Hew, Cross Cut. I kill so quickly, I don't even worry much about my defense.

kalrith

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2005
Originally posted by: CPA

Even though I'm using Dream, I'm finding I am plowing more of my skill points into my Weaponry Mastery - can't get away from upping my dual wield skills - Dual Wield, Hew, Cross Cut. I kill so quickly, I don't even worry much about my defense.

It sounds like you're doing dream/warfare and not dream/defense like you originally mentioned. Dual wield, hew, and cross cut are all warfare skills. Dual-wielding warfare is likely to be my next build. I'm not sure what I'll pair it with though. I'm only in Act 2 the first time through (I have hardly any time to play right now), so I've got a long ways to go before choosing a second build, especially if I play through it three times with my ranger.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001

If you're going dual wield, you could go with warfare as there's an entire skill set devoted to dual wield. You could also try going defender/hunter or dream/hunter and use a spear instead of a bow. That would make things more difficult and switch things up a bit.

Yeah, it's Warfare. I called it Weaponry and Warrior, before. Knew it started with a W. :D

BlueWeasel

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Originally posted by: CoinOperatedBoy
Haruspex (dream/hunting) is pretty unbeatable.

I just started TQ (thanks to the D2D deal) and that's my first character. Hunting first and Dream at level 8.

I need some sweet gear, though. Somebody give me some. :)

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Originally posted by: BlueWeasel

I just started TQ (thanks to the D2D deal) and that's my first character. Hunting first and Dream at level 8.

I need some sweet gear, though. Somebody give me some. :)
TQ Vault. If you have one item of a set, you can right click on it and add all the other items of a set.

CoinOperatedBoy

Golden Member
Dec 11, 2008

That's what I did. You should decide at some point if you'd rather focus on spear or bow, but Haruspex is crazy overpowered either way.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002

That's what I did. You should decide at some point if you'd rather focus on spear or bow, but Haruspex is crazy overpowered either way.

Brigand is the same.

Combine the passive bow skills with the poisons (slow/confusion), add all the +skills until you are maxed and some way of ensuring your energy runs out and you're golden.

Maximising Call of the Hunt and one of the Rogue skills which deals insane Piercing % damage is all you need to deal major hurt on the bosses.

datalink7

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
I did Hunting/Defense and used spear/shield. Was trying to make a Spartan Warrior. Worked out pretty good actually.

BlueWeasel

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000

I tried both, but have settled on spear.

Overpowered sure, but a good character for someone completely new to the game and genre (I never played D2 much). Good way to learn the game I think.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
I've played a ton of d2 in my life. I did pickup titan quest once and it was pretty fun. It was before expansion. Can't remember if I played through the game completely.

Is there online play?