Playing Titan Quest (AE). What's the Best Class?

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Just bought the game on Steam after watching streams on Twitch of Diablo2 (remastered). I wanted something like Diablo and found Titan Quest on Steam. I like the Greek backdrop, and I am planing on getting the 2 expansion paks. So, my question is what is a good class to start with. I've played around with the warrior class, and the spirit class. The spirit class was cool, as you can do ranged attacks. But, thie special attacks have little effect on the dead in the game. I might go back to the warrior class, and focus soley on strength. The hunter class is interesting but its hard to focus on the bow and arrow when enemies are on you so quickly. The nature class looks interesting as well.

So, what's your favorite class?

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Just throwing this out there, but the best game that's "like Diablo" is Grim Dawn since it was made by the same developers. I'd suggest checking that out if you're still trying to scratch that dungeon crawler itch after TQ. You can check out the stats, gear, skills, etc. here: https://www.grimtools.com/

However, for TQ, the Dreamkiller (Rogue/Dream) always had the highest single-target DPS and could instantly nuke the final bosses with no issue, but I've always been a huge fan of AoE spellcasters and once I tried out the Oracle (Dream/Storm), I never looked back. There's always great synergy with Earth/Storm builds, but Dream augments your spells more than any other class. Before the AE came out, the Warden (Hunting/Defense) had a spear build that would make you immortal while giving you the ability to one-shot every normal enemy and drop bosses in seconds. I do wish TQ had better bow skills and better bows in general since they are all incredibly weak and to make a ranged bow build work, you almost have to spec into either a battlemage, defense, or something with summons to draw aggro and/or tank hits for you.

My only issue with TQ is the slog at the beginning. The last time I ran through it with my ex, I had to install a few mods to increase the run/walk speed because I couldn't handle just strolling through the areas at a speed that's best described as a brisk walk.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Just throwing this out there, but the best game that's "like Diablo" is Grim Dawn since it was made by the same developers. I'd suggest checking that out if you're still trying to scratch that dungeon crawler itch after TQ. You can check out the stats, gear, skills, etc. here: https://www.grimtools.com/

However, for TQ, the Dreamkiller (Rogue/Dream) always had the highest single-target DPS and could instantly nuke the final bosses with no issue, but I've always been a huge fan of AoE spellcasters and once I tried out the Oracle (Dream/Storm), I never looked back. There's always great synergy with Earth/Storm builds, but Dream augments your spells more than any other class. Before the AE came out, the Warden (Hunting/Defense) had a spear build that would make you immortal while giving you the ability to one-shot every normal enemy and drop bosses in seconds. I do wish TQ had better bow skills and better bows in general since they are all incredibly weak and to make a ranged bow build work, you almost have to spec into either a battlemage, defense, or something with summons to draw aggro and/or tank hits for you.

My only issue with TQ is the slog at the beginning. The last time I ran through it with my ex, I had to install a few mods to increase the run/walk speed because I couldn't handle just strolling through the areas at a speed that's best described as a brisk walk.
well, increased walk speed is also a cheat because you can run from enemies faster and escape damage.

Also theres whole websites devoted to the best combos.

And of course lots of discussion on Steam.

Achilles97

May 10, 2000
IDK if it relatively the BEST, but I played a lot of TQ and I recommend the Summoner (Earth+Nature). I had a buffed golem tank, I'd stand back and cast fire-based AOE, and cast heals via Nature. Nature also provided some great buffs (heart of oak, etc). I remember having some awesome gear that have +points to a lot of my Nature skills.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
well, increased walk speed is also a cheat because you can run from enemies faster and escape damage.
Single player game = I don't care. If I was 15 and only had homework to worry about then I'd have no issue running the game countless times (like I did when it actually released) without any mods, but I don't have that kind of luxury anymore, so I use mods to give myself quality of life improvements so I can actually enjoy the experience.

Also, I'm not talking about turning myself into the Flash. I forget the actual numbers, but it was around 125% run speed. Not enough to break the game and nowhere near fast enough to simply outrun the enemies/bosses.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
if you dont care about cheating then just go ahead and cheat. give yourself a thousand stat points and 200 skill points and call it a day.

• Haha
Reactions: BudAshes

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Single player game = I don't care. If I was 15 and only had homework to worry about then I'd have no issue running the game countless times (like I did when it actually released) without any mods, but I don't have that kind of luxury anymore, so I use mods to give myself quality of life improvements so I can actually enjoy the experience.

Also, I'm not talking about turning myself into the Flash. I forget the actual numbers, but it was around 125% run speed. Not enough to break the game and nowhere near fast enough to simply outrun the enemies/bosses.

Just curious. How many hours a week do you allow for gaming. My issue is games today take a TON of time and commitment. The only mod I've downloaded is the better loot one. The loot in TQ is horible, so the mod I have changes this. Its good. I've thought about downloading the mod for a faster character, but haven't done it yet. Thanks.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012

I know that Grim Dawn exist. I wanted to try TQ first, and I really dig the greek and roman myths. I'm a huge fan of God of War as well.

ArenCordial

Sep 18, 2012
It's been years since I played and I know that the game has received new content and gotten patches since but back in the day, Dream/Anything was always a solid combo.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
if you dont care about cheating then just go ahead and cheat. give yourself a thousand stat points and 200 skill points and call it a day.
Such an odd, yet completely asinine thing to comment. By that same mentality, if you're going to mod your favorite Bethesda game, you might as well just add god mode and rush the end boss with fists, right? Adding mods to Rimworld, just give yourself the perfect pawns, start with the starship and win immediately, correct? Maybe if you're in the mood for some nostalgia and want to play some old-school RTS like Starcraft, just download a hacked map to give yourself infinite resources then call it a day. See how dumb this sounds?

Now, I feel like you've been around this area long enough that I shouldn't have to explain this, but given your comment, I guess it's necessary. See, different people enjoy different things and the beauty of mods is that they can add incredibly minor things such as changing color palettes to larger changes like QoL improvements or just completely revamp the entire game. That's what makes them so amazing - you can tailor your experience however you like, but I think the best aspect is that we don't have to get your approval anytime we download a mod. It's pretty great if you ask me.

Just curious. How many hours a week do you allow for gaming. My issue is games today take a TON of time and commitment. The only mod I've downloaded is the better loot one. The loot in TQ is horible, so the mod I have changes this. Its good. I've thought about downloading the mod for a faster character, but haven't done it yet. Thanks.
Honestly depends on the week. Since I work in the oilfield I could be home for a whole week or I could be gone for a few months at a time so I can't set aside any specific time for gaming, but when I get any free time, it's usually spent gaming (assuming I have nothing more pressing to attend to). Even at work, I have an SNES emulator on my phone and I'll play a Final Fantasy 6 randomizer if I have any downtime. That being said, playing slower or longer games like TQ is difficult for me because if I get hooked into a game, I might get sent out of town for a few months and by the time I come back, I've either lost interest in the game or I've completely forgotten where I am or what I'm supposed to be doing. Recently I had this happen where I started a new game on Grim Dawn, was sent out on a job that was supposed to be just two weeks but ended up taking almost two months, and by the time I got back home there were a few patches that completely nerfed the character I had been working on and I lost all interest in continuing.

I know that Grim Dawn exist. I wanted to try TQ first, and I really dig the greek and roman myths. I'm a huge fan of God of War as well.
It's an absolute blast to run through and the setting is what hooked me as well.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
I like Titan Quest but the character classes and skills are almost universally garbage. Characters are weak until they equip uber gear. Something is terribly wrong when boars in the starting area can rek you. All those flashy "one-shot" builds you see online are the result of hundreds of hours' of farming gear.

The only viable build I've found that works well without good gear is Runes + Dream using dual-throw Rune weapon as primary and Distortion Wave as AOE. Also buff up the passives from Dream.

Grim Dawn balances everything far better (especially multi-classing combos), but it literally devolves into nothing more than a spreadsheet simulator with line after line of item stats on even mundane gear, so I can't stomach playing it.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
The only viable build I've found that works well without good gear
I'd argue that most caster builds are pretty powerful without perfect gear. You can go through the entire game without needing to farm for good gear, but farming certainly helps. The only downside is figuring out which spells are going to push you through the end because it really sucks to fall in love with a spell that obliterates everything early on, but very quickly tapers off in higher difficulties and that's where Grim Dawn really shines. Most builds for GD are viable if you're just playing casually and with the absolute insane amount of gear in that game, you can make just about anything work. That's a lot more difficult to accomplish in TQ because I vividly remember my Earth/Storm caster failing miserably around midway into the highest difficulty and having to go back to farm for more gear because I was absolutely determined to make that build work, but sadly those spells were just absolute garbage without incredibly specific gear. In the end, I remember just revamping my entire build and testing different spells out until I found a build that let me progress.