Playing the original Mass Effect

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
On the 'getting around to it' list.

It's a great game and is still good.

It's well-rounded. Good story, good character variety, good balance of interesting skills but not too complicated, nice balance of gameplay, nice quests, nice flow, good artwork.

I think we underestimate the creativity needed to say 'make alien world architecture and races'.

It's not perfect - a bit cookie-cutter sometimes - but very good.

Reactions: Omar F1

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
I love the story nature of that free add on. Be sure to get it. It is free but requires a code - you can google it or if the one you find is invalid contact ea support and they will provide the free key. I actually liked all 3 ME (have not played the 4th); but thought the story nature of 3 was awful since they totally ignore the setup created by 1 and to a lesser degree 2.

Reactions: Vivendi

KB

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 1999
I really liked the side mission explorations in the first game. The second had anamolies but they were fewer and the third got rid of them. The first was actually the best.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I love the story nature of that free add on. Be sure to get it. It is free but requires a code - you can google it or if the one you find is invalid contact ea support and they will provide the free key. I actually liked all 3 ME (have not played the 4th); but thought the story nature of 3 was awful since they totally ignore the setup created by 1 and to a lesser degree 2.

First I heard of an add-on. Is that something I should have loaded early for the game?

May 11, 2008
I am planning to buy this game on steam when i finished wolfenstein: new order.
Seems very interesting.

PhatoseAlpha

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2005
It's not perfect. Lots to love - but also some things to hate, like the uber clunky inventory management.
Playing on PC lets you improve the sometimes very slow gameplay, in parts where you're just walking around waiting for elevators. Console command SloMo changes game speed, and if you do SloMo 1.5 the game runs 50% faster, or however high you want to go. Saved my sanity on replays.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
I love ME1. It is by far my favorite game in the series. It went downhill from there.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
It's not perfect. Lots to love - but also some things to hate, like the uber clunky inventory management.
Playing on PC lets you improve the sometimes very slow gameplay, in parts where you're just walking around waiting for elevators. Console command SloMo changes game speed, and if you do SloMo 1.5 the game runs 50% faster, or however high you want to go. Saved my sanity on replays.

I've been referring to the game as the 'elevator riding game'.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
i thought ME2 was the pinnacle of the series, but ME1 was certainly great.

i still remember that first mission on Eden when the reaper ship rises in the background... set the stage for the whole game imho. might have to play through them again but my PC copy doesn't want to register on Origin

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
And to think that ME1 is 10 years-old... well almost there, will be in November this year.

ME1 is among my absolute favorite games of all time, definitely in my personal Hall of Fame. It was virtually perfect, a masterpiece. I only disliked the GUI, but nothing else, literally nothing else; not even the Mako or the 'elevator rides'. But that's referring to when I first played it and maybe for the subsequent year or two. I finished ME1 3 times for three different Shepards. Then I played two other games to about mid point and never completed those, lost interest eventually. My only gripe today nearly 10 years later is that contrarily to ME2 and ME3, in my opinion anyway, ME1 has aged very poorly. It was the first in the series, and the game runs on a very, very old version of the UE3 engine, and it shows. A ME1 remaster would do wonders for that game.

ME2 was good for the characters and their respective stories (and most, although not all their 'loyalty' missions), it also had a fantastic DLC in Lair of the Shadow Broker. I genuinely liked most of the characters in that game, more so than in ME1 for the larger part. I did, however, prefer Liara in ME1. When I first heard her 'new' voice (not the voice actress, she was the same, but the voice tone was completely new) I genuinely thought that the character had an actual cold in the story at that point. But the new cast and the returning characters were, overall (with few select exceptions here and there) fantastic, mostly well-written too. Also, I absolutely adored the soundtrack for ME2, possibly even more than ME1's. However, the main story arc with the Collectors and Reapers (or little there was about them to start with) was absolute rubbish. The suicide run mission was fantastic, sure, but was completely farted on by that space Terminator thing wannabe, stupid design, stupid lore explanation, shocked me by how overall just... stupid it was. A very anti-climactic 'revelation', boring battle, followed by a very abrupt game ending. Many RPG elements from the first game were gone, and so was the customization of gear for the teammates (I.E., no actual gearing system), which at the time blew me away and still does in retrospect, since I realize that they never brought it back and even Andromeda doesn't have any at all, even after FIVE YEARS in development. It's... simply astounding.

ME3... nah I won't bother, not worth my time. It was something I'd like to have never experienced in my life, it never happened.

Andromeda is... such a waste of potential for the whole franchise. Sure, good graphics, but overall game's "production quality" makes some Indie games shine, with a very forgettable and nonsensical main story arc, with very forgettable characters and "soundtrack" as well, if you even want to call it that. Literally, the entire cast was bad, with maybe the exception of Drack, simply because I love Krogans in general (but nothing, absolutely nothing will ever top Wrex). I enjoyed Dragon Age 2 more, and I'm not even joking. I actually liked my Hawk, but could never care about my teammates nor my own Ryder. Although, I have to say that I sort of 'cared' about my Ryder a little more than my Inquisitor in Inquisition, now that one was... oh boy, but that's another subject. Andromeda also pretty much didn't make it possible to play 'evil', or at least 'renegade' style, or to 'turn evil' at some point or to develop into an asshole if I wanted to, or to become dangerous or doing reckless things or make important life-or-death-style decisions à la Vermire in ME1, or "fire" specific teammates from the group like I could in Inquisition. Nothing interesting came out of playing Andromeda.

Anyway, I could go on and on but basically it went down the drain starting with ME2 in part, and ended up destroying itself from the inside out with ME3, and stays a dead horse with Andromeda. The only REAL Mass Effect game, for me, will always be the first. But it could definitely use some extensive remastering work.

Reactions: Omar F1

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
ME1 has the best Story of the 3. That Inventory Management though.....later in the game it will be filled up and you'll have to try and empty it, then you'll know why people always mention it.

Reactions: Red Hawk

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
I didn't think ME3 was that bad until the last hour or so where they completely ignored the setup created by the rest of the series. It was so incredibly lame. to be honest I've lost a lot of respect for the creator. A 3 year old could have tied the ending together better than they did.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Topic makes me sad .. cause Andromeda. What a letdown. Not as much as DAI though ... Thanks EA.

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011
I was advised over here to skip ME1 so I started the series from ME2. Something about ME1 interface being frustratingly clunky.

Edit- After looking up the thread, I found that I was mistaken. The advice was only to skip AC1, Witcher1.

Last edited:

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
I didn't think ME3 was that bad until the last hour or so where they completely ignored the setup created by the rest of the series. It was so incredibly lame. to be honest I've lost a lot of respect for the creator. A 3 year old could have tied the ending together better than they did.

I never really felt the system was that bad. Sure it was clunky, but I never had so many weapons that it took forever to deal with. I either sold or gel'd most things. I guess for "pack rat" style players it would be very annoying.

Omar F1

Sep 29, 2009
And to think that ME1 is 10 years-old... well almost there, will be in November this year.

ME1 is among my absolute favorite games of all time, definitely in my personal Hall of Fame. It was virtually perfect, a masterpiece. I only disliked the GUI, but nothing else, literally nothing else; not even the Mako or the 'elevator rides'. But that's referring to when I first played it and maybe for the subsequent year or two. I finished ME1 3 times for three different Shepards. Then I played two other games to about mid point and never completed those, lost interest eventually. My only gripe today nearly 10 years later is that contrarily to ME2 and ME3, in my opinion anyway, ME1 has aged very poorly. It was the first in the series, and the game runs on a very, very old version of the UE3 engine, and it shows. A ME1 remaster would do wonders for that game.

ME2 was good for the characters and their respective stories (and most, although not all their 'loyalty' missions), it also had a fantastic DLC in Lair of the Shadow Broker. I genuinely liked most of the characters in that game, more so than in ME1 for the larger part. I did, however, prefer Liara in ME1. When I first heard her 'new' voice (not the voice actress, she was the same, but the voice tone was completely new) I genuinely thought that the character had an actual cold in the story at that point. But the new cast and the returning characters were, overall (with few select exceptions here and there) fantastic, mostly well-written too. Also, I absolutely adored the soundtrack for ME2, possibly even more than ME1's. However, the main story arc with the Collectors and Reapers (or little there was about them to start with) was absolute rubbish. The suicide run mission was fantastic, sure, but was completely farted on by that space Terminator thing wannabe, stupid design, stupid lore explanation, shocked me by how overall just... stupid it was. A very anti-climactic 'revelation', boring battle, followed by a very abrupt game ending. Many RPG elements from the first game were gone, and so was the customization of gear for the teammates (I.E., no actual gearing system), which at the time blew me away and still does in retrospect, since I realize that they never brought it back and even Andromeda doesn't have any at all, even after FIVE YEARS in development. It's... simply astounding.

ME3... nah I won't bother, not worth my time. It was something I'd like to have never experienced in my life, it never happened.

Andromeda is... such a waste of potential for the whole franchise. Sure, good graphics, but overall game's "production quality" makes some Indie games shine, with a very forgettable and nonsensical main story arc, with very forgettable characters and "soundtrack" as well, if you even want to call it that. Literally, the entire cast was bad, with maybe the exception of Drack, simply because I love Krogans in general (but nothing, absolutely nothing will ever top Wrex). I enjoyed Dragon Age 2 more, and I'm not even joking. I actually liked my Hawk, but could never care about my teammates nor my own Ryder. Although, I have to say that I sort of 'cared' about my Ryder a little more than my Inquisitor in Inquisition, now that one was... oh boy, but that's another subject. Andromeda also pretty much didn't make it possible to play 'evil', or at least 'renegade' style, or to 'turn evil' at some point or to develop into an asshole if I wanted to, or to become dangerous or doing reckless things or make important life-or-death-style decisions à la Vermire in ME1, or "fire" specific teammates from the group like I could in Inquisition. Nothing interesting came out of playing Andromeda.

Anyway, I could go on and on but basically it went down the drain starting with ME2 in part, and ended up destroying itself from the inside out with ME3, and stays a dead horse with Andromeda. The only REAL Mass Effect game, for me, will always be the first. But it could definitely use some extensive remastering work.
I'd say the contrast is very clear between ME1/ME2, and SWKOTOR1/2 as a similar example, in the aspect of exploring various beautiful planets, well designed levels and attention to the details - in almost everything.

Reactions: Craig234

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I was advised over here to skip ME1 so I started the series from ME2. Something about ME1 interface being frustratingly clunky.

Seems like bad advice.

I have only played 1, and like it a lot as do others here, and the interface isn't even close to being a reason not to enjoy it.

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011
Seems like bad advice.

I have only played 1, and like it a lot as do others here, and the interface isn't even close to being a reason not to enjoy it.
I can't remember exactly but it was probably the interface dealing with inventory management. Another game which I skipped was Assassin's Creed 1, also started from 2.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Inventory management was definitely bad, but by no means something that should prevent one from playing an otherwise fantastic game.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Inventory management isn't even all that bad.

It just means sometimes you need to click the worst items you have to get rid of them from a list. I've seen worse.

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011

I love ME1 myself, but I think calling it "virtually perfect" is an overstatement when there are glaring flaws and cut corners in the experience. Largely redundant and forgettable inventory, with an annoying size limit. A grand total of four level layouts recycled ad nauseum for uncharted world missions - even Dragon Age 2 had more recycled levels than that. Leveling up is a mess of minute, inscrutable increases to various stats. Enemy AI is more or less brain dead, with two modes - find cover and shoot, or CHARGE!!! The main campaign is pretty short in comparison to other BioWare RPGs, the squadmate writing is a bit stiff (Tali, Garrus, and Liara don't really get interesting to me until the later games). Saren is a bit generic as a villain and isn't directly present for much of the story. I agree with your point about ME2's final boss being disappointing, but ME1's final battle isn't all that impressive either.

But there's still a lot that I love. The whole sci-fi aesthetic, the fact that they came up with a very distinct, interesting and well thought out sci-fi universe. The Citadel is one of my favorite "hub areas" ever, and I much prefer it over ME2 and ME3's hub areas. The story missions are very dramatic, my favorite having to be Virmire. I love Wrex, Ashley, and Kaidan as characters. Biotic and tech powers are cool as hell. And the soundtrack is phenomenal. I could go on.

ME2 may have swung a bit too far in the other direction by stripping out inventory and oversimplifying upgrades and leveling up. But I do ultimately enjoy ME2's combat more, finding it smoother and more exciting than ME1, and more fun to replay. There are more tense moments in gameplay, like holding out on Horizon, the ambush on the Collector ship, following Tali as she works through the vents on the Collector ship (it's always Tali, you're wrong to choose someone else), etc. And I think that ME3's mechanics struck a good balance between the strengths of ME1 and ME2.

(As an aside, it's interesting that you say it sounds like Liara had a cold in ME2, because I remember hearing that her voice actress, Ali Hillis, did have a cold when recording her lines for ME2. Some things just can't be helped).

Terrible advice. That's like recommending someone skip watching Star Wars Episode IV and just going straight to watching Empire Strikes Back.

Last edited: