Playing movies off Media device

Nov 26, 2005
I have an older LCD TV that doesn't have networking capability or a USB port to play media/movies off of. For a while I was using my FireTV box to play movies through, but I forgot that it was rooted and was able to do this because of the some file formatting er something.. found this out after resetting the entire FireTV.. so now I have a spare TV sitting there that I'd still like to play movies off of through a media device e.g. an old SSD with an USB adapter. Are there any devices besides the FireTV that can do this?

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Sure, plenty. But each has their own file container / codec support. I prefer roku's, but many newer blu ray players have a usb port as well. You can try the find something that supports the current video / audio codecs of the files, or encode them to something else.

Reactions: BTRY B 529th FA BN

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
There isn't enough room to hookup a pc to the TV. I've gone over that idea and it kills me everytime rrrr ooof

You wouldn't hook a PC directly to the TV. You can use any set top device (roku, fire stick, etc..) to be the Media server client. The media server would run somewhere else, and stream the content to the set top device. Plex or Emby are the two popular choices.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
There isn't enough room to hookup a pc to the TV. I've gone over that idea and it kills me everytime rrrr ooof
No not hook up a pc to the tv. Rather something like Plex on a dedicated box somewhere on your network and you can use your Fire Box, a Roku or a Chromecast and stream over wifi.