Playing Fallout 1 again

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MrDuma

Nov 23, 2011
i was always considering Fallout to overrated TBH that is until i played the last one; that game also made me go to the 1st one and learn the entire story about the game atmosphere

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
One thing I'm loving so far is that unlike in FO3/NV FO1 doesn't tell you where to go to solve a certain quest. You just get told to do something and have to figure it all out yourself.

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
Finally finished FO1 and started making my way through FO2. I was glad to see that my old version still works fine on Windows XP, and the high resolution patch works quite nicely as well. Unlike some haters I liked both Fallout 3 and New Vegas, but FO2 will always be the high point of the series for me.

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
One thing I noticed is that the top down view of the first two games makes exploring vaults much less annoying. Finding my way through vaults was a PITA in FO3 and NV.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
I just played through FO1 for the first time about 2 weeks ago. It was fun, although I used a unorthodox build with high Charisma and Strength with low Agility. While my character did not fight that well, the game was still pretty easy because I was able to talk my way through pretty much the whole game.

I should try out Fallout 2 next. They came out after my time, so I missed them. It is funny whem people call BG and Fallout old games, I think they are new since they came out during the time I was in College and didn't have any time to play games.

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
Some people claim that FO1 was the best of the bunch but I think that FO2 really improved the mechanics. Party members are much more useful and less annoying in FO2.

Maybe it's just me but a high speech skill didn't seem nearly as useful in FO1 as it was in FO3 and New Vegas. For my FO2 character I tried using melee as a tag skill but it ended up not being that useful past the very beginning of the game.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
Some people claim that FO1 was the best of the bunch but I think that FO2 really improved the mechanics. Party members are much more useful and less annoying in FO2.

Maybe it's just me but a high speech skill didn't seem nearly as useful in FO1 as it was in FO3 and New Vegas. For my FO2 character I tried using melee as a tag skill but it ended up not being that useful past the very beginning of the game.

Once I got the Supersledge in the Hub, melee became my primary form of attack. Mostly because I could attack 3 times with the sledge and only once with a rifle or twice with the. 22 pistol. But early melee weapons were useless to me.

DefDC

Golden Member
Aug 28, 2003
I'm playing through FO1 again as well. I picked it when it was free at GOG, but I have a few copies laying around, anyways. I would give the FO1/FO2 combo packs out to friends who haven't played the series.

I recently discovered the joy of playing with a high luck, and lower other attibutes. This was especially helpful in New Vegas, when at the tables.

I'll have to try this in FO2 to see if there's quick money to be made in New Reno. :)

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
Once I got the Supersledge in the Hub, melee became my primary form of attack. Mostly because I could attack 3 times with the sledge and only once with a rifle or twice with the. 22 pistol. But early melee weapons were useless to me.

The Supersledge is much harder to find in FO2. I suspect that once I do get it it'll be a useful complement to a longer ranged weapon, although I might give it to Sulik instead.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
In all games melee can actually be the best once you acquire the right stats and feats. If nothing else it saves ammo.

In New Vegas you do double damage with melee while in VATS. (I didnt know that until just recently).

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
Made it to San Francisco in FO2, and so far I think that's the weakest part of the game. Somehow they screwed up the dark, post-apocalyptic atmosphere with all the jokes they poke at Scientology (killing the Hubologist in NCR was fun though) and those two guys doing Kung Fu.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
In all 4 games the dark grimy atmosphere is always punctuated by silliness.
Theres probably more silliness in New Vegas than any other games. And in the Alien add-on for FO3.

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
I realized that FO2 would be pretty easy if you could go to San Francisco early on. The merchants there have plenty of cash so you can sell off all the guns you pick up from dead people. It's also easy to buy the super tool kit that you need in order to get the car. As far as I can tell there's absolutely no penalty for stalling on finding the GECK.

OCNewbie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2000
I'm thinking about giving Fallout 1 a go, for the first time (have only played Fallout 3, and a little bit of NV). What are some (practically) mandatory patches (unofficial, etc.), or mods/addons ?

and AP are as annoying as hell

Is AP referring to armor piercing (bullets?)? I saw that there's a patch available online to address this.

Here is the patch I'm talking about - http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/dload.php?action=file&file_id=51

This patch fixes the armor piercing ammo problem in Fallout

What is the issue with armor piercing ammo?

Last edited:

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
If you get the GOG version of Fallout 1 you don't really need any patches, although you might want the high-res mod.

Yesterday evening I got to the point where I have power armor and the gauss rifle in FO2 and the game instantly became absurdly easy. At this point I could probably walk into the Enclave base and blow everyone to pieces without issue.

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
I'm thinking about giving Fallout 1 a go, for the first time (have only played Fallout 3, and a little bit of NV). What are some (practically) mandatory patches (unofficial, etc.), or mods/addons ?

Is AP referring to armor piercing (bullets?)? I saw that there's a patch available online to address this.

Here is the patch I'm talking about - http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/dload.php?action=file&file_id=51

Pretty sure he means action points, FO1 and 2 are fully turn based with action points determining what you can do each turn.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Go sign up for FalloutNexus and NewVegasNexus (same login) you can get all kinds of mods but the MOST important things are the Official Mod Manager (works for both games) and the Script Extenders for each game. Most mods require the Script Extender.

PrayForDeath

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2004
Go sign up for FalloutNexus and NewVegasNexus (same login) you can get all kinds of mods but the MOST important things are the Official Mod Manager (works for both games) and the Script Extenders for each game. Most mods require the Script Extender.

Um, I'm pretty sure he was asking about Fallout 1, not the Bethesda games.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
Pretty sure he means action points, FO1 and 2 are fully turn based with action points determining what you can do each turn.

Combat is turn based, but luckily they made non combat relatively real time (I believe it still follows the rules set by the turn based combat, but it runs them in real time ala Baldurs Gate)

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007

If I recall correctly, the AP ammo would do less damage than non-AP ammo in every situation, even when the enemy had armor. It was essentially only useful if you ran out of all other kinds of ammo.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Picked it up from gog when it was free, gotten to junk town and completed some of the local quests. Pretty good for a retro throwback game, I'm sure it was incredible at the time.

Overall, I like it. One or two annoying glitches and "save early, save often" definitely applies, but it's very well put together.

DominionSeraph

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
In all games melee can actually be the best once you acquire the right stats and feats.

With the Turbo Plasma Rifle I will crit 100% of the time, with 95% chance to hit the eyes at pretty much any distance, with +20% to the crit roll table. Deathclaws are a one shot kill ~85% of the time. And I have 3 attacks/rd.

thespyder

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2006
With the Turbo Plasma Rifle I will crit 100% of the time, with 95% chance to hit the eyes at pretty much any distance, with +20% to the crit roll table. Deathclaws are a one shot kill ~85% of the time. And I have 3 attacks/rd.

Yeah, once you get the modified plasma rifle, it is pretty much game over. But then you don't get it till very late in the game.

instead of making this a flaw, merely don't use it. Just my opinion.