Playing Fallout 1 again

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
Hearing about Wasteland 2 inspired me to start playing the original Fallout again. It's pretty fun so far, and it's been so long since I played it that I've forgotten most of the storyline and quests. I'd also forgotten how difficult combat is when you're first starting off. I'm not a huge fan of how it looks with the high-res patch, unfortunately playing it on an LCD in its original resolution is even uglier. Has anyone else been tempted to dust off this classic?

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Both games have VERY difficult starts. New Vegas is probably the easiest cuz yur free as soon as you start.
F3 isnt too bad cuz its hard to get killed in Vault 101, after that you're free.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
Hearing about Wasteland 2 inspired me to start playing the original Fallout again. It's pretty fun so far, and it's been so long since I played it that I've forgotten most of the storyline and quests. I'd also forgotten how difficult combat is when you're first starting off. I'm not a huge fan of how it looks with the high-res patch, unfortunately playing it on an LCD in its original resolution is even uglier. Has anyone else been tempted to dust off this classic?

I also started playing FO1 recently. I didn't get too far though, just to Vault 15, but couldnt get in and havent gone back since. Where did you get a high res mod gor the game? I think some UI adjustments would help me get back into the game.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Both games have VERY difficult starts. New Vegas is probably the easiest cuz yur free as soon as you start.
F3 isnt too bad cuz its hard to get killed in Vault 101, after that you're free.

The Bethesda FO games are about as far as you can get from what the originals were.

I have yet to play FO1, but I did manage to get it free from GOG not too long ago.

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
I also started playing FO1 recently. I didn't get too far though, just to Vault 15, but couldnt get in and havent gone back since. Where did you get a high res mod gor the game? I think some UI adjustments would help me get back into the game.

I just googled Fallout 1 High Res Patch. I believe it's hosted by No Mutants Allowed.

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
The Bethesda FO games are about as far as you can get from what the originals were.

I semi-disagree. I thought that Bethesda's games captured the atmosphere of Fallout pretty well even if they were aimed a little more at the shoot em up crowd. I'd love to see somebody dig up Van Buren (the original Fallout 3) complete it and release it though. I see no reason why a game like that couldn't co-exist with the current fallout sequels.

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
Once I finish FO1 I'm playing FO2 again. I even still have my FO2 CD so I don't need to buy it from GOG.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
I semi-disagree. I thought that Bethesda's games captured the atmosphere of Fallout pretty well even if they were aimed a little more at the shoot em up crowd. I'd love to see somebody dig up Van Buren (the original Fallout 3) complete it and release it though. I see no reason why a game like that couldn't co-exist with the current fallout sequels.

A little more? They're completely different games. The only thing they share is the name and setting.

Note I never said anything about comparing the quality between the old and new.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Tried FO1 a week-2 ago when GoG offered it Free. Hated it. Just not as immersive as 3/NV and AP are as annoying as hell. Just not the gametype I like, I suppose.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
FO New Vegas was done by ex-Black Isle staffers who worked on FO 1-2, with some of the same good writing for quests.

FO 1 combat was tough at first, especially the scorpion cave. The empty vault wasn't bad if you went slowly. If you pick up Ian, make sure he only gets a pistol, don't give him the SMG!

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
My memory may be biased, but from what I recall both FO1 and 2 had harder combat until quite late in the game. In FO3 it didn't take all that long before I could stomp all over everyone with ease. That wasn't the case in FO2 until I was close to finishing the game.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
My memory may be biased, but from what I recall both FO1 and 2 had harder combat until quite late in the game. In FO3 it didn't take all that long before I could stomp all over everyone with ease. That wasn't the case in FO2 until I was close to finishing the game.

-Both FO1 & 2 were fairly challenging right up to the point where you pick up some Power Armor.

Always liked FO 1 more though, thanks to the writing and atmosphere. FO1 was campy with a cool throwback feel to it and it never got as cheesy or Hokey as FO2. FO2 was certainly the larger, more refined game though.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Even with power armor a super-mutant with a minigun could still critically hit and turn you into Little Lisa's Slurry. Save often, in more than one slot.

Also, in FO 1 when you get to the bridge over the toxic lake in the gun runner area, do not save on the inner merchant side of the lake, only save on the outer side. Saving on the merchant side can leave you trapped forever. This bug was infamous enough to rate coverage (with color picture) in Computer Gaming World back in the day.

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
I got the free FO1 from gog and downloaded it to my laptop the other day. I have a trip coming up and I'm going to play it then.

I have BG and BG2 on it as well. gog is good for that kind of stuff: no disk needed.

DominionSeraph

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
-Both FO1 & 2 were fairly challenging right up to the point where you pick up some Power Armor.

Well, your NPC's still aren't covered, so I didn't find the power armor to make such a huge difference in FO1. The Turbo Plasma Rifle is what did it for me. When I switched over to that it made farming deathclaws a breeze. I was expecting the later enemies to be harder, so you can imagine my disappointment when I finally encountered Super Mutants and found out that I could one-shot every single one.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
I loved Fallout 1 and 2. I still haven't tried 3. If it's not in the same league as 1 and 2, I think I'd cry on the inside.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I loved Fallout 1 and 2. I still haven't tried 3. If it's not in the same league as 1 and 2, I think I'd cry on the inside.

tissuebox4c.gif

thespyder

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2006
A little more? They're completely different games. The only thing they share is the name and setting.

Note I never said anything about comparing the quality between the old and new.

They are very different styles of games, but the world is very similar. and the atmosphere is definitely of a similar nature.

I played fallout 1/2 back when they came out and was a huge fan. When FO3 came out I was just as sceptical as the rest. But found myself really getting back into the old Fallout mentality.

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011

I replayed it but consulted walkthroughs to get some good character builds. Bad choices in perks/skills/attrib in FO1/2 will screw up your game big time esp during the start, good endgame choices will also be a little tough. I remembered the big guns and throwing skills are quite useless in FO1.

It is possible to cheat a little in FO2 by trekking thru the desert the minute you are out of the vault and getting the power armour and good weapons.

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
You could do the same thing in fallout one just needed to go get some radiation medicine and head the to bombed out vault.