Player help

rbk123

Aug 22, 2006
Just built up an HTPC and I need recommendations on player software for:
1. MKV and M2TS files - but must be able to process DTS HD MA
2. Stream from my media server (using Mezmo and Serviio)

For 1., VLC will play the files but won't decode DTS HD so I'm looking for other options. I tried firing up WMC but it wouldn't recognize either the MKV's or the M2TS's.

For 2., I haven't tried anything yet as I'm not sure what to use.

rbk123

Aug 22, 2006
I downloaded LAV but when I try to play my MKV's in WMP, it is stuck on whatever screen it's on. i.e. it'll be stuck on the very first screen; or if I advance it to the middle of the movie it'll be stuck on that screen.

I downloaded Media Player Classic and ffdshow, and although MPC plays it, I get no dts-hd audio.

My video card is a PowerColor ATI Radeon HD5450

Shark007

Aug 30, 2012
If you want to use Media Center, LAV on its own will not work; especially if you need subtitle support too.
Uninstall all codec installations. Haali, LAV and FFDshow before proceeding.

Install the Shark007 codecs and also the x64Components addon if your OS is 64bit. After installation, select the [x] SUGGESTED settings checkbox. The only way to carry HD audio is to use HDMI directly from the 5450 to the AVR. If this is your case, go to the Audio TAB of the Settings Application and select the HD audio selection. When doing so, the speaker setup will auto set 'Same as Input'. This is correct for bitstreaming audio signals to an avr for decoding.

If further assistance is required, go to the Shark007 forum.

Last edited:

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
If you want to use Media Center, LAV on its own will not work; especially if you need subtitle support too.

Install the Shark007 codecs and also the x64Components addon if your OS is 64bit. After installation, select the [x] SUGGESTED settings checkbox. The only way to carry HD audio is to use HDMI directly from the 5450 to the AVR. If this is your case, go to the Audio TAB of the Settings Application and select the HD audio selection. When doing so, the speaker setup will auto set 'Same as Input'. This is correct for bitstreaming audio signals to an avr for decoding.

If further assistance is required, go to the Shark007 forum.

+1

rbk123

Aug 22, 2006

Further info to answer your assumptions (which were correct):
- 64 bit Win7
- HDMI from the 5450 goes to my processor/receiver

Do I really have to uninstall ffdshow? I did get Media Classic Player working with ffdshow to pass DTS HD MA to my processor.
Thanks for the instructions - I will work on that next, just hoping I don't have to remove ffdshow.

Shark007

Aug 30, 2012
Do I really have to uninstall ffdshow?

yes.

FFDshow is included in my codec releases and if you have it installed twice, there will be definate problems. Also, if using my codecs, you should also remove your current version of MPC-HC and use the version from my Tools page because that version is pre-configured to use the codecs installed by my releases.

Everything will work - its quite simple really.
Upon installation, you are taken to a 'Setup and usage' page. Bookmark that page for future reference.

ecosmartpc

Aug 15, 2012
www.ecosmartpc.com
I downloaded LAV but when I try to play my MKV's in WMP, it is stuck on whatever screen it's on. i.e. it'll be stuck on the very first screen; or if I advance it to the middle of the movie it'll be stuck on that screen.

I downloaded Media Player Classic and ffdshow, and although MPC plays it, I get no dts-hd audio.

My video card is a PowerColor ATI Radeon HD5450

Did you go into the LAV Filter audio configuration and check the boxes for the audio you want passed through?

I set this up all the time. It's all it takes to get it working. I have the same HD5450 in my main HTPC.

rbk123

Aug 22, 2006
FFDshow is included in my codec releases and if you have it installed twice, there will be definate problems. Also, if using my codecs, you should also remove your current version of MPC-HC and use the version from my Tools page because that version is pre-configured to use the codecs installed by my releases.
I didn't realize I'd be replacing both (ffdshow/MPC) with your stuff, so that makes sense. I'll give it a go; thanks.

Did you go into the LAV Filter audio configuration and check the boxes for the audio you want passed through?
I thought I did but I'll recheck before cutting over to the Shark codec solution.

Shark007

Aug 30, 2012
Shark007/MPC-HC is what I used before LAV. Shark007 is good stuff.

Once LAV came out and I was then able to use the native WMC player I switched to that.

Just to bring you up to speed with current releases, choosing to use the [x] SUGGESTED settings checkbox will setup LAV for use in both WMP and MC including full subtitle support. Of course, any other player utilizing Directshow would also take advantage of this setup.

Things the Shark pack does beyond simple playback...

1. Full color thumbnails including FLV's and 10bit MKV's
(also allows users to select at what point by percentage to grab the thumbnail)
2. Enable the Preview Pane for ALL newly enabled filetypes such as MKV and FLV.
3. Explorer properties are displayed for non native filetypes such as MKV and FLV
4. Updated often - and has update notification builtin
5. Allow use of the PDVD12 decoders for 32bit LiveTV
6. Supports the use of Xbox360 as Extenders to playback MKV files
7. Allows singleclick setup of Bitstreamed Audio
8. Support playback of MOD audio files and M4A files containing ALAC
9. Supports playlist creation for use in Media Center
10. Allow users to Enable/Disable codecs installed on their system
11. Funtionality such as Win7DSFilterTweaker builtin.
12. Support 'Add to Windows Media Player List' using rightclick on all files such as MKV.