Plasma vs LCD vs Rear Projection

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
Originally posted by: funboy42
Front Projection FTW
Screw your puny 80' or less pictars, give me 100 inches or more!
WTH if your going with a rear projection tv you have to change a bulb it it as well if it isnt a CRT rear projection tv and if your going to do that you may as well go for BIG since thats why your buying it anyway.

I went FPJ 100" and will never go back, cant watch a movie on anything else anymore.

OP update the poll with front projection you bias sob :p

Projection isn't an option for most people.

SagaLore

Elite Member
Dec 18, 2001
Originally posted by: RagingBITCH
Who buys a TV for "movies" only? Most people expect it to serve several purposes, unless it's a rarely used TV, like a bedroom TV.

Me.

LS20

Banned
Jan 22, 2002
right now plasmas look better to me
lcds give that smudging/smearing effect. if i were to buy in the next year, definately lcd - for power consumption, higher resolution, etc

TheAdvocate

Platinum Member
Mar 7, 2005
Originally posted by: Aikouka
EDIT: To summarize, DLP is my favorite overall. Good picture quality, lightweight and great price. My 46" cost $1250 and the 42" I got my mom for Christmas cost $1500. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to do that math ;). Even adding in your precious bulb doesn't make it go over and it still wins in overall size.

Huh?

Over a 20 year life cycle of a DLP, you will have to replace the $200 bulb between 6 and 10 times. Add that $1200 to $2000 to the price and tell me again how DLPs are cheaper? You buy a plasma or an LCD and you're done. I'd rather pay $400 more on the front end and be done with the hassle.

Also, note that the DLP is a true 720p (1280x720) set versus the LCD and the Plasma which contort the size.

Again, what? My LCD's native setting is 1920x1080p (which is what I watch TV & game @). Someone has sold you on some BS marketing.

MBrown

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
Originally posted by: CraigRT
I dont even know how people can think an LCD looks better than a good plasma... Plasma bar none has the best most convincingly real picture.

LCD is the best for everything else and sadly would win for my house. All around usage.

But for a movie only TV, 42" or so... Plasma for the win.
I don't think so. I seen them side by side and the LCD blows the Plasma away.

royaldank

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2001
I dont even know how people can think an LCD looks better than a good plasma... Plasma bar none has the best most convincingly real picture.

LCD is the best for everything else and sadly would win for my house. All around usage.

Aren't 1080p plasmas still pretty darn expensive? In comparision to cost, DLP and LCD are better options if you are movie buff since 1080p is obviously the best right now.

teckmaster

Golden Member
Feb 1, 2000
Originally posted by: SagaLore
Originally posted by: teckmaster
I'm thinking about getting CRT rear projection.

DONT DO IT!!!!

WHY NOT????

CRT rear projection uses Direct View Technology. Basically, if you are not sitting directly in front of it at the right height, the picture gets dark. They are bulky, and just not as nice as some of the other technologies out there. If you really want to get a Big Screen TV, either save up the money if you need to or just spend a little more on a different technology.

You can thank me later for the heads up.

sao123

Lifer
May 27, 2002
DLP... same picture quality as LCD & Plasma...
cost about 1/2 as much.

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Originally posted by: MBrown

I don't think so. I seen them side by side and the LCD blows the Plasma away.

Umm yeah, no.

LS20

Banned
Jan 22, 2002
dont like limited viewing angle on DLP and LCD

also DLP has limited viewing height .. must have stand of the right height. Wall mount flat panels = awesome

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Originally posted by: royaldank

Aren't 1080p plasmas still pretty darn expensive? In comparision to cost, DLP and LCD are better options if you are movie buff since 1080p is obviously the best right now.

Resolution isn't the end all be all for PQ. But to address your first question, I'd say the best LCDs and best plasmas are VERY close in price now! I'd say the best LCD out now is the Sony 52XBR3 which sells for a little over $5000. And the best 50" plasma around now is the Pioneer Elite Pro-FHD1. The Pioneer used to sell for $10,000 just a few months ago, but now is down to just under $5000!! And let me tell you, the Sony vs the Pioneer is a no contest. The Pioneer slaps the Sony in the FACE! So the prices are REALLY coming down. Once that Pioneer is down to $3000, IT IS MINE!!!

patentman

Golden Member
Apr 8, 2005
All three present excellent options, depending on the make and model, but I would put them in this order:

Plasma: Best image and viewing angle, but most expensive. Flat panel coolness. Burn is partially true. A better term to describe the effect is "image retention" which is not permanent. New technologies=longer lasting panels.

Rear projection: Offers excellent image quality, but with reduced viewing angle relative to plasma. The SXRD's have excellent brightness and color retention. Bad thing is that all commercially available rear projection tv's except for one Samsung model require a high intensity lamp that is usually only rated for a few thousand hours, meaning that you'll be paying out a couple hundred bucks every few years to replace it. The Samsung I mentioned utilizes LED backlighting, but is very expensive now.

LCD: I put these last because I personally am very very senstive to motion blur, which is a problem with all LCD's. It literally makes me ill to watch a fast scene on an older LCD tv. Newer technology has faster response time, which lessens the nausea effect for me. LCD's can be very inexpensive, but you have to be very careful about what you are buying, considering the large variety of options out there. A large price tag does not necessarily translate into the best picture.

Slikkster

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2000
Panasonic Plasma, without exception. And with the agressive price discounts, you can now get a 42" for about $1250 (frys.com) and free shipping on the TH42PX60U. Fantastic PQ. Sorry fellas; nothing comes close right now.

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
Front Projection FTW
WTH if your going with a rear projection tv you have to change a bulb it it as well if it isnt a CRT rear projection tv and if your going to do that you may as well go for BIG since thats why your buying it anyway.

I went FPJ 100" and will never go back, cant watch a movie on anything else anymore.

Neither is the others because of the price-size :p

I'm thinking about getting CRT rear projection.

DONT DO IT!!!!

WHY NOT????

CRT rear projection uses Direct View Technology. Basically, if you are not sitting directly in front of it at the right height, the picture gets dark. They are bulky, and just not as nice as some of the other technologies out there. If you really want to get a Big Screen TV, either save up the money if you need to or just spend a little more on a different technology.

You can thank me later for the heads up.

BUT CRT rear projection give you the best picture with the best contrast ratio of anything else on the market. Plus it will outlast almost anything with a tube life of over 80,000 hours.
But because you have to sit in front of it is the only reason one shouldn't get one?? Thats bull sh!t reasoning. You saying get a lcd or pay out the ass for something else that also smaller but looks like sh!t com paired to the picture quality a CRT rear projection can produce because you cannot sit to the far side to the tv :p For your information on the much newer sets that has pretty much been addressed, and they are actually stop making CRT tubes because there really no money in them. So if you can get your hands on one and rear projection is you thing or way to go CRT is the ONLY way I would do it. They are faxing them out because DLP is much cheaper to produce now, and the crt tubes last to damn long and when they break people buy newer set with the newest technology. Except today everything has a stupid fvcking bulb in them forcing you to purchase a new bulb every 100-3000 hours to keep using the set.

WHY I mentioned above if your going to go with a rear projector now a days and its not a CRT read projection you may as well go frontal so you can atleast got huge ass screen if your forced into buying damn bulbs all the time. Not to mention front projectors are cheaper, and its slowing getting to the point you dont have to have a completely pitch black room to own one, and HD is around $999 to start.

If you go rear projection, and I dont care if it is LCD or DLP, it WILL have a bulb that needs to be replaced. It will go out sooner or later, and will cost you $250-$800+ depending on the set. So if you paying for a bulb why settle for 50~ inches when you can do 100 to 350 inches and cost much less. Not to mention comes with a better warranty. A rear projection may have, if your lucky, a 1 year warranty. My optoma H31 has a 3 year and cost me $599. I went from a Rear 65" to a 100" front projection and I will never look back. Im looking forward to getting a ceiling mount and a 150" screen soon.

Front Projection FTMFW

5TH

5TH again

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006
Originally posted by: RossMAN
Originally posted by: foghorn67
I don't think I have a favorite for what is best. Maybe for a particular purpose. I love my LCD for my bedroom. For the living room, it might be a DLP.

That's our setup :)

50" DLP - livingroom

32" LCD - bedroom

What is your DLP make/model? I am currently shopping for the living room tv. Won't be for another few months (moving)

BMdoobieW

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 2000
What category does the SONY KDS-50A2000 SXRD fall into? I believe it is LCoS. That's what I have and I love it.

Rob9874

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 1999
Originally posted by: ScottFern
Plasma hands down. It has the best black levels, and colors seem more vibrant and real on a plasma.

You must not have compared LCDs in the last several months. They've made great strides, and now have excellent black levels. My vote is for LCD.

Thraxen

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2001
Originally posted by: BMdoobieW
What category does the SONY KDS-50A2000 SXRD fall into? I believe it is LCoS. That's what I have and I love it.

Rear projection.

ebaycj

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2002
Front Projection FTW

$15,000 Houses aren't either.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Originally posted by: TheAdvocate
Huh?

Over a 20 year life cycle of a DLP, you will have to replace the $200 bulb between 6 and 10 times. Add that $1200 to $2000 to the price and tell me again how DLPs are cheaper? You buy a plasma or an LCD and you're done. I'd rather pay $400 more on the front end and be done with the hassle.

I replace my electronics much more frequently than you then. The bulb is NO ISSUE for me. If you wish to complain about lights, go look up backlights in LCDs.

Originally posted by: TheAdvocate
Again, what? My LCD's native setting is 1920x1080p (which is what I watch TV & game @). Someone has sold you on some BS marketing.

I said 720p, someone sold you some pretty BS marketting if you think you have a 720p TV :roll:. I have NEVER seen a 1280x720 LCD or Plasma television. They're typically 1366x768 (16x9). I've even seen crazier resolutions like 1024x1080.