Plasma screen Q's

Magicthyse

Golden Member
Aug 15, 2001
I've had a old Sony TV for ages, served me well, but which recently has begun to show signs of senility. So I'm replacing it, and have decided to splurge on a Plasma screen. My budget is about $7,000. I haven't really done a huge amount of research yet, and I forgot to ask these questions to the guy in the shop.

I'm not one to sit down to watch movies on a regular basis and it's likely to be used more frequently for other things. What I'm looking for is something which I can hook up a TV input (Cable/DVD), a PC input and a Playstation 2 input.

I have a few Q's that someone here might be able to answer...?

* Given what I intend to use above, am I better off getting a 4:3 screen like the Hitachi CMP307? Would I get effectively a larger image compared to a widescreen when using it with a PC or PS2?

* If the screen can't do the switching for all the above, is there a remote-controlled display switch I can get?

* I've learned that some plasma screens have fans inside them for cooling, which I imagine makes them noisy - obviously I'm looking for something that behaves like a TV - i.e. no extra noise. Many of the shops I've called don't know whether models they haven't got in stock have fans or not. Most mail order companies don't seem to know anything about their products beyond what they list. Is there a comparison site anywhere?

Ameesh

Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
pioneer elite has a awsome model but im not sure if its in your budget range, just make sure its capable of doing 1080i, 720p, and 480p a bunch of plasma tvs dont support the full spectrum of hdtv. Just make sure you do your research about this point.