Plane crash in florida

bubbadu

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2001
So I am watching MSNBC, and they quickly mentioned a LARGE plane had crashed in florida, YET they didnt cut away to focus on that, and are sticking to the michael jackson trial. WTF is going on?

MaxDSP

Lifer
May 15, 2001
seeing this on msnbc right now...holy crap, its like in the middle of the street

Wallydraigle

Banned
Nov 27, 2000
Michael Jackson getting acquitted is obviously more important than the hundreds of lives that might have been lost in the crash. I say might have been, because nobody really knows, since all the news is about Jacko.

brxndxn

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Wallydraigle
Michael Jackson getting acquitted is obviously more important than the hundreds of lives that might have been lost in the crash. I say might have been, because nobody really knows, since all the news is about Jacko.

He better be guilty.. dammit..

klah

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2002
Hmmm... unloaded DC3 headed for Jamaica. I wonder what 'cargo' they were picking up...

cavemanmoron

Lifer
Mar 13, 2001
Originally posted by: iamwiz82
It was a DC-3, that sucker is close to 70 years old!

Plane crashes near Fort Lauderdale
Two victims reportedly taken from sceneBREAKING NEWS
NBC, MSNBC and news services
Updated: 4:37 p.m. ET June 13, 2005A plane crashed near Fort Lauderdale, Fla., Monday afternoon, sending flames and smoke into the air.

advertisement

The plane, a twin-engine DC-3, went down shortly after it took off at 3:48 p.m. ET, WTVJ-TV reported. The DC-3 took off from Fort Lauderdale Executive Airport, a source with the Federal Aviation Administration told NBC News. There is no commercial service from that airport. The crash site in a residential neighborhood was about three miles from the airport.

Officials said at least two people were taken to a hospital, officials told WTVJ. There was no word on whether there were any deaths or other injuries. Capt. David Erdman of the Broward County fire-rescue service said it was not clear how many people were aboard.

The plane clipped three or four homes, causing minimal damage, WTVJ reported. TV pictures showed fire trucks dousing the fuselage with foam, bringing the flames under control as the wreckage lay in the street.

The DC-3 was designed in the 1930s and is used by some cargo operators into the Caribbean.

The plane was a workhorse military transport in World War II, known then as the C-47. After the war, the plane was converted to civilian use and renamed the DC-3.

The planes still in service are about 50 years old on average, though many have been fitted with newer turboprop engines and have had other modernizing modifications.

Although the basic design of the aircraft is now almost 70 years old, hundreds of DC-3s and C-47s remain in military, commercial and private use worldwide.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8206866/

Zim Hosein

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Super Moderator
Nov 27, 1999
Originally posted by: klah
Hmmm... unloaded DC3 headed for Jamaica. I wonder what 'cargo' they were picking up...

Where's Baked? :p

91TTZ

Lifer
Jan 31, 2005
I think "crash" is too dramatic of a term. They emergency-landed the plane safely on a road, clipped a few things, and it caught on fire. None of the people on the plane was seriously hurt, and nobody on the ground was hurt, either.

Usually the term "crash" means that you didn't have control of it. They were forced to land, but did have control.

thirdlegstump

Banned
Feb 12, 2001
There's nothing small about a DC-3. Media is so fvckin stupid in that anything smaller than a 747-400 is considered small...bah.

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
Was up the road not to far from me, I was watching it on the news before I left work today.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Originally posted by: 91TTZ
I think "crash" is too dramatic of a term. They emergency-landed the plane safely on a road, clipped a few things, and it caught on fire. None of the people on the plane was seriously hurt, and nobody on the ground was hurt, either.

Usually the term "crash" means that you didn't have control of it. They were forced to land, but did have control.

If you run into something it's a crash. They hit a house and some cars, I think "crash" is the appropriate term.

RollWave

Diamond Member
May 20, 2003
Originally posted by: bubbadu
So I am watching MSNBC, and they quickly mentioned a LARGE plane had crashed in florida, YET they didnt cut away to focus on that, and are sticking to the michael jackson trial. WTF is going on?

I hate the media...alot.

booger711

Platinum Member
Jun 15, 2004
Originally posted by: rnp614
Originally posted by: bubbadu

I hate the media...alot.

yeah, all they really need to do is say that MJ is not guilty. no need for video footage of hysterical fans releasing white doves

91TTZ

Lifer
Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: GagHalfrunt
Originally posted by: 91TTZ

If you run into something it's a crash. They hit a house and some cars, I think "crash" is the appropriate term.

In aeronautic terms, that's just a "collision". A crash is when you make a smoking hole in the ground.

cavemanmoron

Lifer
Mar 13, 2001
Originally posted by: FrankyJunior
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8206866/

Just saw this on the local news,

Nobody killed!!!!!!!

They landed in the street,damaged a couple houses.

Emergency landing on street averts disaster
3 on plane suffer minor injuries in fiery Fort Lauderdale landing.

NBC, MSNBC and news services
Updated: 11:53 p.m. ET June 13, 2005FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. - A World War II-era cargo plane sheared off treetops and narrowly missed homes as its crew guided it to a fiery landing on a Fort Lauderdale city street on Monday. All three people on board survived.

advertisement

Though hospitalized, the three were ?sitting up and talking on their cell phones? hours after the crash, hospital spokeswoman Maria Soldani said. Two people on the ground also were hurt, one seriously.

The DC-3 cargo flight en route to the Bahamas crashed about three miles east of Fort Lauderdale Executive Airport shortly after takeoff, said Greg Martin, a Federal Aviation Administration spokesman.

The co-pilot told firefighters a fuel line broke and one of the plane?s two engines was in flames before the crash, said Stephen McInerny, assistant chief of operations for Fort Lauderdale Fire Rescue.

Pilot Charles Riggs, co-pilot Charles Wirt and passenger Hector Espinoza were in fair condition at Holy Cross Hospital. The two people injured on the ground were also hospitalized, including one in serious condition, McInerny said.