Places no one will remember in 1000 years from now

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Meh. A thousand years isn't that long. The village I live in was still a village a thousand years ago, people lived here, went to work and went to the pub.

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Death Valley. With an average daytime temperature of 165F, it will be uninhabited.
The hottest death valley ever got was 134.

Being a desert, it's actually quite cold in the winter (near freezing).

Incredibly beautiful place.

IronWing is right in that most of its people inhabitants are NPS employees and people running the few lodges in the area.

There are towns "nearby", including Pahrump, NV.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Meh. A thousand years isn't that long. The village I live in was still a village a thousand years ago, people lived here, went to work and went to the pub.
When I think of the UK, that's more than anything what comes to mind sometimes. Has it's plusses and minuses. Tradition can be a bitch that holds you back. The relative lack of tradition in the USA is beneficial in some aspects.

Now, I used to like English folk music, you know... the kind that brings to mind lutes and flutes, damsels with flowers in their hair, unpaved roads, horse driven carts, minstrels, mead ... however these days I tend to dislike that kind of music. It's backward looking, not forward.

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
The hottest death valley ever got was 134.
That record will likely be exceeded, I'd say within the next 10 years, the way things are going.

Modern weather historians such as Christopher C. Burt and William Taylor Reid have also claimed that the 1913 Death Valley reading is "a myth", and is at least 2.2 to 2.8 °C (4 to 5 °F) too high.[18][19] The WMO has come out in support of the current record stating that "We accept that Death Valley temperature extreme record. If any new materials on it surface, we will be prepared to open an investigation, but at this time all available evidence points to its legitimacy."[6]

Last edited:

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001

In America, the world barely existed in 1912.
1843 is deep time
1737 is legend, Dawn of Creation, with very little surviving evidence of it happening

Reactions: Muse

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
I look at things in terms of a 500 year time line...what's going on now is largely irrelevant in the "big picture" of 500 years..we are all shadows and dust and greatly contribute our own demise.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I look at things in terms of a 500 year time line...what's going on now is largely irrelevant in the "big picture" of 500 years..we are all shadows and dust and greatly contribute our own demise.
IMO it's absurd to try to imagine what life on earth will be in 500 years from now. It's simply unimaginable.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

so basicallay this "new you" has been getting stoned off his mind for whateverreason, for the last 3? years, and is suddenly now not the old IGBT of the past, who was a complete and unrepentent cvnt regarding all things "left or very gay-sounding," especially evil illegal drugs.

the fuck happened to you? Other than finally getting super fucking baked all the time, obviously.

Reactions: IGBT

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
so basicallay this "new you" has been getting stoned off his mind for whateverreason, for the last 3? years, and is suddenly now not the old IGBT of the past, who was a complete and unrepentent cvnt regarding all things "left or very gay-sounding," especially evil illegal drugs.

the fuck happened to you? Other than finally getting super fucking baked all the time, obviously.
Noted...carry on zin.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
IMO it's absurd to try to imagine what life on earth will be in 500 years from now. It's simply unimaginable.
Yes...I agree. And plenty are having problems dealing with the "here and now"...much of life is about suffering. Lots of suffering is self induced.

Reactions: Muse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Yes...I agree. And plenty are having problems dealing with the "here and now"...much of life is about suffering. Lots of suffering is self induced.
Here's one that's been circulating in my mind for a while:

"Man was made for Joy & Woe
And when this we rightly know
Thro the World we safely go" - William Blake

From Augeries of Innocence

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
When I think of the UK, that's more than anything what comes to mind sometimes. Has it's plusses and minuses. Tradition can be a bitch that holds you back. The relative lack of tradition in the USA is beneficial in some aspects.

Now, I used to like English folk music, you know... the kind that brings to mind lutes and flutes, damsels with flowers in their hair, unpaved roads, horse driven carts, minstrels, mead ... however these days I tend to dislike that kind of music. It's backward looking, not forward.
"Tradition is just peer pressure from dead people"

I still listen to music like that sometimes, but I also regularly go out and see new local bands in various genres. Looking forward doesn't mean you need to abandon the past. I mean, you also just quoted Blake again ;)

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
1000 years?

The east coast of America will probably be underwater.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
"Tradition is just peer pressure from dead people"

I still listen to music like that sometimes, but I also regularly go out and see new local bands in various genres. Looking forward doesn't mean you need to abandon the past. I mean, you also just quoted Blake again ;)
I feel that Blake transcends tradition completely.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I'm not referring to him with my tradition comment, just the looking back versus looking forward bit.
I feel that Blake even transcends time.

Here's another of my favorite Blakeisms:

"Eternity is in love with the productions of time."

ASK THE COMMUNITY