Pixelation and Intel G620

Alamat

Apr 30, 2003
I have it set-up as the HTPC in the basement with movies on MKV streaming in at 1080p. I have it on wireless N and frankly that seem to work fine. Recently though, I have been noticing that the movies would have those blocky pixelations once in a while then now occurring regularly. Now I did think it might be the connection, so I hooked it up to the router where the mediabox isvia an ethernet cable, and it seem to keep doing it. Mind you, if I actually transfer the mkv file onto its own SSD, the pixelations seem to persist on that specific movie. Other movies that I have yet to play on it ran fine. I was then thinking it might the mkv file. So I run the same file on a different PC and everything would be fine.
So i'm thinking now, is this particular chip really able to handle 1080p or do I have to get a discrete yet cheap card?
If anyone has suggestion as what other settings I can try, I would appreciate it very much.

System is..
Silverstone SST-GD05B HTPC Case with 500 wat PSU
Intel G620
Asus Maximus V Gene
Crucial 8 GB DDR3
OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB SSD
Lite on DVD writer
Win 7 64 bit
XBMC with PleXBMC

LoveMachine

May 8, 2012
In the Intel HD video driver application I believe there are some "denoise/deblock" settings somewhere. Have you fiddled with those? Also, what is this connected to? The AVR and TV usually have various methods for reducing noise, some of which are more effective than others. You just need to play around with various combinations. The iGPU of the Pentiums is not stellar for games, but the video/audio section is the same as the HD2500, which Anand reviewed and gave a qualified thumbs up.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
I have it set-up as the HTPC in the basement with movies on MKV streaming in at 1080p. I have it on wireless N and frankly that seem to work fine. Recently though, I have been noticing that the movies would have those blocky pixelations once in a while then now occurring regularly. Now I did think it might be the connection, so I hooked it up to the router where the mediabox isvia an ethernet cable, and it seem to keep doing it. Mind you, if I actually transfer the mkv file onto its own SSD, the pixelations seem to persist on that specific movie. Other movies that I have yet to play on it ran fine. I was then thinking it might the mkv file. So I run the same file on a different PC and everything would be fine.
So i'm thinking now, is this particular chip really able to handle 1080p or do I have to get a discrete yet cheap card?
If anyone has suggestion as what other settings I can try, I would appreciate it very much.

System is..
Silverstone SST-GD05B HTPC Case with 500 wat PSU
Intel G620
Asus Maximus V Gene
Crucial 8 GB DDR3
OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB SSD
Lite on DVD writer
Win 7 64 bit
XBMC with PleXBMC

What are you using to play the files? XBMC? Have you tested it out with other players like VLC or plugin equipped WMC?

I recently have had issues playing certain movies in XBMC that play fine using straight VLC.

(currently trying to wrap my head around you components list)

ecosmartpc

Aug 15, 2012
www.ecosmartpc.com
It seems to me if the G620 wasn't able to handle 1080p it would have been an issue all along not just start happening suddenly. I suspect a driver or software problem -- perhaps a recent update.

frowertr

Golden Member
Apr 17, 2010
It seems to me if the G620 wasn't able to handle 1080p it would have been an issue all along not just start happening suddenly. I suspect a driver or software problem -- perhaps a recent update.

This. I built my father a HTPC rig using the G620 and it works flawlessly with 1080p. Now 1080 will tax that chip quite a bit (80% CPU usage). So if you are doing anything else in the background that may cause some problems.

Alamat

Apr 30, 2003
OK, I tried VLC and everything was fine for it, no pixelation.
I'll try turning off the DXVA but..how do u do that?

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Its broken with XBMC. This is an XBMC issue and they have not fixed it with Intel iGPUs.

Hmm, seems to work okay here. If its on the CPU and iGPU both have very low, usage %, xbmc shows aCPU at 100% though. With it off playing 1080p the iGPU is ~50%, cpu is at ~30%.

I see this sometimes on certain content:

screenshot000.png

Thats called macroblocking right? Ive just come across that term, never known what to call that effect, i used to google for "artifacts" or "colors messed up" to no avail :( Im gonna try without DXVA to see if its the cause.

assassin24

HTPC Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
Hmm, seems to work okay here. If its on the CPU and iGPU both have very low, usage %, xbmc shows aCPU at 100% though. With it off playing 1080p the iGPU is ~50%, cpu is at ~30%.

I see this sometimes on certain content:

screenshot000.png

Thats called macroblocking right? Ive just come across that term, never known what to call that effect, i used to google for "artifacts" or "colors messed up" to no avail :( Im gonna try without DXVA to see if its the cause.

That's precisely why it doesn't work with Intel.