Pixel 6 camera quality

spdfreak

Mar 6, 2000
I have a Pixel 6 non-pro and I've never been impressed with the camera even though the reviews rave about it. My LG G6 took better pictures and my Nokia Icon was probably better than both the P6 and G6. In sunlight, the P6 seems to blow out the colors.

I was taking pictures of a bike I just painted ice blue for a show and outside under an awning, the color looked pretty close but out in the sun, the blue was ridiculously bright- like sky or Carolina blue. My friends Samsung was also off but not as bad as the P6. Any suggestions for settings so the colors aren't so blown out? Any suggestions for a phone that has a better camera? BTW, another friend has a iPhone 11 and it also made the blue much brighter in the sun.

PXL_20220514_225709977.jpg

PXL_20220514_223939530.jpg

Reactions: Villalobos gil

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
The Pixel 6 does very well in some situations, but Google can't claim the crown like it did in years past. The color balance seems a bit cool, and clearly the detail preservation falls a bit short.

You don't have many alternatives; I'd go with the iPhone 13 or 13 Pro if you want richer colors and wider dynamic range. The S22 produces better shots than the Pixel in some cases, including portraits, but I wouldn't call it a slam dunk unless you either want optical zoom on a 'small' phone (and want to undercut the iPhone 13 Pro) or want to splurge on the S22 Ultra.

spdfreak

Mar 6, 2000
You just wanted to show us your bike, admit it!
Actually, not mine... it was done for the Triumph dealer to ride in the Distinguished Gentleman's Ride later this month. But I wish it was mine!

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Actually, not mine... it was done for the Triumph dealer to ride in the Distinguished Gentleman's Ride later this month. But I wish it was mine!
Well, it is a nice bike. Too bad I have such a bad back these days. I miss riding.

spdfreak

Mar 6, 2000
The Pixel 6 does very well in some situations, but Google can't claim the crown like it did in years past. The color balance seems a bit cool, and clearly the detail preservation falls a bit short.

You don't have many alternatives; I'd go with the iPhone 13 or 13 Pro if you want richer colors and wider dynamic range. The S22 produces better shots than the Pixel in some cases, including portraits, but I wouldn't call it a slam dunk unless you either want optical zoom on a 'small' phone (and want to undercut the iPhone 13 Pro) or want to splurge on the S22 Ultra.
I do like smaller phones so maybe the S22 regular. But I guess I'm looking for the phone that has the most accurate colors since I'm constantly sending pictures of bikes/cars or parts to customers and asking if that is the color they want.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
I do like smaller phones so maybe the S22 regular. But I guess I'm looking for the phone that has the most accurate colors since I'm constantly sending pictures of bikes/cars or parts to customers and asking if that is the color they want.

I would be sorely tempted to suggest the iPhone 13 or 13 Pro. The cameras are good, but more importantly Apple now offers "photographic styles" that change the default tones for your shots. I like Apple's regular color processing, but you can make it warmer, cooler, more vibrant or contrasty... so if you don't get the output you want out of the box, you can change it without having to edit your photos after the fact.

Reactions: spdfreak

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
When I had the pixel 6 pro I thought the photos it took were very good. Colors are not as punchy depending on the lighting and are more natural. I guess it's personal preference but I would never call them bad photos.

If you are looking for more sharpness in color the s22 ultra camera does that. One thing I do miss from the 6 pro that my s22 ultra doesn't do well is taking pictures of moving objects.

Of course the latest iphones are also very good too but again in my opinion it does come down to personal preference.

I've always had pixels and this is my first Samsung device and I really can't complain about the camera aside from moving object photos but I dont take too many of those.