Pixel 4A and 5 Rumors

Ravynmagi

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2007
What do ya'll think about the Pixel 4A and 5 rumors?

* Pixel 5 no longer a high end phone?
Supposedly the Pixel 5 won't be shipping with a high end Qualcomm Snapdragon 865 or any 800 series SoC, but instead get the upper mid range 765G or 768G. The performance could be somewhere around the same level as the Pixel 3 with it's Snapdragon 845, with a bit weaker GPU performance. Resolution would probably max out at 1080p. So not really an upgrade path from the Pixel 3 or 4.

* Pixel 4A still alive?
It was supposed to launch in May with Google IO. And I kind of wonder if it would launch at all in light of the Pixel 5 now aiming to be more of a mid range device. But supposedly it's still alive and could even launch this month. I'm not holding my breath. Haven't seen much on the processor other than speculation it may be the Snapdragon 730.

* Pixel 4A XL dead?
While the Pixel 4A may still be alive, it sounds like the 4A XL version might have been canceled. So we'll only have one size for the 4A model this year. With the 5 and 5XL being downgraded in specs, I can understand why the 4A XL would get killed off.

* Pixel 5 XL triple cameras?
The Pixel 4A and 5 are supposedly going to stick with the 2 rear camera setup. But the 5 XL may finally all the third wide angle camera people have been asking for. I'm not a big fan of this being an XL only feature though if true.

* Fingerprint Scanner and Headphone Jack lives on?
The Pixel 3 took away the headphone jack, but the Pixel 3A brought it back. The Pixel 4 also removed the fingerprint scanner. But rumors say the Pixel 4A and 5 will have both the headphone jack and physical rear fingerprint scanner. Great news. The physical fingerprint scanner works so great and in-display fingerprint technology just doesn't feel mature and accurate enough.

* Hole Punch Cameras?
Supposedly the Pixel 5 reducing the top bezel found on the Pixel 4 and going with a hole punch camera instead. Rumors are less clear on if the 4A will keep it's top bezel like the 4 or go with a punch out like the 5.

* So Long Soli?
Project Soli aka Motion Sense featured in the Pixel 4 doesn't look like it'll be on any Pixel phone this year. It under performed on the Pixel 4 and with Google trying to reduce the phone costs, this seems like an obvious feature to cut.

* Prices?
Pixel 4A starting at $399 and Pixel 5 starting at $699? The Pixel 4 started at $799, so the 5 would start at $100 cheaper. Is the Pixel 5 going to still be a good deal with the 765G processor and 1080p display? I am hoping the Pixel 5 would start even cheaper, like $550 or $600. But we'll see.

Overall I think it's very smart Google is focusing more on the mid range market. The last two high end Pixels started at $800 and while the Apple and Samsung phones have gone from starting at $800, to $900, to now starting at $1000 base price. Apple and Samsung are in a race to make the most expensive phones, glad Google is detouring from that craziness. I think the compromises Google is making are in the right places. QHD displays are nice, however I've been running my Galaxy S20 at 1080p for a while now to take advantage of the 120Hz display and I don't miss the 1440p QHD at all. On phones this size I think it's hard for most of us to really appreciate the difference. And the newest Snapdragon 800 series are getting crazy fast, more speed than what know what to do with on a phone. The step down to the 765G seems like another worthwhile cut to get costs down.

I'll obvoiusly be skipping these devices since I have the 4XL and Galaxy S20. But hope this works out better for Google because we need more viable alternatives to Samsung and Apple, at least in the US.

Feb 19, 2001
As a Pixel fanboi who has bought every generation but also has a lot of heavy criticism for Google:

1) The downgrade to a mid range CPU is concerning. I've been a longtime critic of Android stutter and choppiness, and we're on the cusp of finally eliminating that. I don't see how a downgrade helps. The Pixel 3 XL today is already visibly slower than my iPhone XS. While the Pixel 4 is reasonably fast, the 11 Pro and even my XS Max feels a lot faster in hand even just for basic UI scrolling.

2) Triple camera is needed absolutely. I'm not on the boat that says the camera should've been ultra wide last year because I recognize from a photography perspective a zoom makes more sense first, but given the competition has gone triple camera, they need to follow.

3) Fingerprint sensor might be a nice to have. I think it's particularly important in our mask wearing times, but there's also some improvements Google can make. iOS 13.5 made it such that the password prompt shows IMMEDIATELY even while FaceID is still working. Google can at least update their OS to follow in Apple's footsteps to make the unlock process more painless in COVID times.

While I don't mind the headphone jack removal, I wouldn't mind it coming back either. I just don't think this is the trend so it's probably not happening.

4) Hole punch cameras -- I don't like the look but Google needs to improve the front face design for the Pixel 4. Their use of rounded display edges that don't line up with the body frame is annoying. Apple, Samsung, OnePlus do this very well making their devices look like just a single piece of display. The Pixel 4a leaks make it look better than the Pixel 4.

5) I don't care for Soli but would rather see Google stick to something and continuously improve it rather than ditch it so quickly.

6) Prices: I'm all for a premium Pixel, but Google needs to actually compete. Last year's prices were too high for what we got, but had we gotten 3 cameras, and maybe 20% longer battery life along with more features (e.g. better video quality, 4K60 recording, higher quality speakers, a fingerprint reader), then yeah the reviews would've been a lot more positive. Personally I prefer a premium Pixel rather than a $349 Nexus where all the apologists will spend all day excusing Google for cutting corners.

Ravynmagi

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2007
9to5Google has revealed that someone digging into Google’s beta code has confirmed the names of the 3 Pixel phones as the Pixel 4, Pixel 4A 5G, and Pixel 5.

People thought the 4A XL was dead because two phones had a Snapdragon 765G and one was larger. But appearently the phone people thought would be the Pixel 5 XL may really end up being the Pixel 4A 5G. The smaller Pixel 4A will have a Snapdragon 730, and the larger Pixel 4A 5G will have a Snapdragon 765G. And the Pixel 5 will also have a Snapdragon 765G, but be smaller than the 4A 5G. Very confusing.

All 3 of these phones look very similar to each other from the alleged leaks. But I’d guess the Pixel 5 will have some extra features the 4A phones won’t. Not sure what they might be. But why call 2 of the phones the 4A and the other the 5? Clearly all 3 of these phones are going to be very similiar in specs and really share the same design language and launch window. Why not just call the high end one the Pixel 5 and the lower end ones the 5A and 5A XL?

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Pretty much the 4A is a single shooter, like the 3A, but has wireless charging capabilities. That's nice, but it's definitely not a reason for people that own the 3a to upgrade to a 4a.

What's up with the radar chip? You would think google would want to be putting a 5 dollar chip into its budget phone. Also why not add a few more cameras? They are cheap...one would expect at least something that is on the pixel 4 setup.

I don't understand, why they aren't at least making a small effort to appease future customers. I did buy a pixel 3a xl, just because it was cheap. Figured maybe the newer pixel 5 would be something to upgrade too later. I did however get a survey from google asking me about my pixel 3a and them asking me if I would upgrade, or recommend the phone to friends or family. A few things are high on my list of a new cell phone and the camera and battery.

It will be interesting to see if they start getting the message, can't be the only one.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I don't mind if google doesn't make the pixel 5 & 5XL into super duper $1k plus flagship phones, but I still want a higher end experience. Also I'd like to keep facial recognition, it works very well on my Pixel 4Xl and would not like to go back to fingerprint if I don't have to. I wish LG and other manufacturers would make phones with stock Android with fast updates. All I need is stock Android with NovaLauncher and I'm good to go. I had a couple of the Nexus devices including the first one, the Pixel 2XL and now the Pixel 4XL. Somewhere in there I had an LG V20 and a Samsung Galaxy S4 I think.

Ravynmagi

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2007
Seems almost certain the Pixel 4A will launch Monday. Oddly seems the Pixel 4A 5G may not launch until the fall with the Pixel 5 (seems weird).

Pixel 4a
5.8" 2340x1080 OLED display with hole punch camera on top left corner
Snapdragon 730G
6GB RAM
64 or 128GB storage (update 8/3/20, only 128GB size)
Rear fingerprint scanner
$350

Looks really impressive for the price. Even if it is a few months late.

pixel4a.jpg

Last edited:

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Camera is getting rave reviews. It's a lot of good phone for $349 is the consensus.

Cogman

Lifer
Sep 19, 2000
The 5XL is dead? Man I hope not. I'm currently using a 2XL and I really wanted to move to the 5XL.

Now I honestly don't know where to go. Does anyone do vanilla Android + 3 years of updates?

I'm starting to seriously consider making the leap over to iOS. I love the ideal of android but I feel like the support is just terrible. It's crazy that 3 years of support is considered a long time :(

Ravynmagi

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2007
Pixel 4A reviews are in. And it seems like the generous consensus is a basic mid-range phone that does the basics nearly perfectly.

Basic all matte black plastic body that some may like for it's clean look and others might find boring. I like it's look. It still keeps the accent power button color. Bezels are mostly gone, a first for a Google phone, just a single camera cut out in the front. And a large camera housing on the back, which I'm not so crazy about considering there is only 1 rear camera, but everyone is doing big square housings now, so Google continues that trend.

That single camera is said to take amazing pictures. This is going to be it's strongest feature again like it was on the 3A.

Google will support this phone for at least 3 years. Though that 2020 mid-range processor might be struggling a bit by 2023.

This is definitely strong competition for the iPhone SE 2020. Pixel 4A looks like it'll be a kind of camera quality, definitely in it's price range. And Google promises 3 years of Android support. The iPhone SE on the other hand has a much faster processor, longer Apple support, but a more dated looking design as well. Can't go wrong with either phone.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
The 5XL is dead? Man I hope not. I'm currently using a 2XL and I really wanted to move to the 5XL.

Now I honestly don't know where to go. Does anyone do vanilla Android + 3 years of updates?

I'm starting to seriously consider making the leap over to iOS. I love the ideal of android but I feel like the support is just terrible. It's crazy that 3 years of support is considered a long time :(

I don't think the 5XL is dead. I'd hold off until the announce the 5.

Ravynmagi

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2007

I think Google put the nail in the Pixel 5 XL hopes today when it teased a picture of two more phones coming this fall. One of the phones is almost certainly the PIxel 4A 5G which is expected to be a bigger version of the Pixel 4A with 5G and a slightly better processor. And the other phone is the Pixel 5, which may have the same processor as the Pixel 4A 5G, but a more premium (but smaller) body and quality and at least 2 rear cameras.

google5gtease.jpg

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Seems like the Google Pixel 5 will only have two cameras, ultra wide and the standard wide. Also a rear fingerprint sensor, no face unlock, just a hole punch front-facing camera on the front left. 8gb of Ram and a 4000 mAh battery. Also no TOTL SOC. Also no metal back, plastic or polycarbonate. The screen will be 5.8 or 6", depends upon the source. Hopefully 6".

I have no issue with them coming in at a lower price point with a lower SOC, from building desktops for over 20 years, getting the absolute TOTL chip comes at a very high cost, when you can get such close performance by going a bit lower. So that's cool. No metal back, save more money there, also cool. But taking away face unlock and the telephoto lens feel like two big steps backwards. This phone should have the three cameras, and dual face and rear fingerprint unlock.

I'll wait for the reviews. I'm 50/50 on this phone. I really like naked android with Nova Launcher for a few tweaks, and the 3 years of updates. My 4XL is still going strong and I'd miss the telephoto a bit. a 6" screen would be fine I think.