Pixel 2 Stuff

Page 23 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I should have specified. I meant headphone output :)
Depends on your headphones. I use jaybirds x2 and they are very loud. At the gym I'm using them with the volume one notch down from Max and then I lower it some more using the volume controls on the headphones.

Using the adapter with wired headphones again it will depend on the headphones but they aren't as loud as my Bluetooth ones. Again these are $20 Sony wired headphones I use in the office which I thought would sound nice but they suck. I don't turn them up past half way because there are always people asking for me.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Depends on your headphones. I use jaybirds x2 and they are very loud. At the gym I'm using them with the volume one notch down from Max and then I lower it some more using the volume controls on the headphones.

Using the adapter with wired headphones again it will depend on the headphones but they aren't as loud as my Bluetooth ones. Again these are $20 Sony wired headphones I use in the office which I thought would sound nice but they suck. I don't turn them up past half way because there are always people asking for me.

These are low impedance IEM's but the Nexus 6P could barely drive them to a halfway decent volume. I'm not trying to drive some high impedance open back audiophile headphones here. Someone who had a 6P and a Pixel 1 said the Pixel 1 also sucked equally in that department. Which is why I never bought that phone. I use my phone as my primary music device, like most people, and it's a basic function of the phone that's easy to do right. I don't expect the Pixels to match the Quad DAC output of the LG phones but get somewhat close.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
These are low impedance IEM's but the Nexus 6P could barely drive them to a halfway decent volume. I'm not trying to drive some high impedance open back audiophile headphones here. Someone who had a 6P and a Pixel 1 said the Pixel 1 also sucked equally in that department. Which is why I never bought that phone. I use my phone as my primary music device, like most people, and it's a basic function of the phone that's easy to do right. I don't expect the Pixels to match the Quad DAC output of the LG phones but get somewhat close.
I think they are fine for music, not DAC quality but very nice if you get a decent pair of headphones. I have another pair of wired skull candy headphones that are very loud when using the dongle adapter with the 2XL. They sound better than the wired Sony ones at work.

Ravynmagi

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2007
I went to a concert with my Pixel 2 XL and recorded some video. I get home and play back some of it and the audio is horrible. I thought maybe if I play it back on my TV with Chromecast it might sound better, nope. So I Google Pixel 2 XL audio recording issues and sure enough I got hits. Seems like this is a known issue that Google says they’ll address with a patch in the “coming weeks”. *sigh* WTF LG and Google?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
ive got to say at this point. my pixel 2 non XL is a great phone. i don't have a single bad thing to say about it other than.... i bought some JBL bluetooth earbuds and the earbuds were broken and drained their charge so not having a headphone jack sucked the time my BT earbuds were empty (i have since RMAd them and am bringing the dongle which is fine).

But i got my google home mini today and wow... its amazing. Also I finally found a screen protector that isnt awful. If any of you were looking for a screen protector that sticks get the shattershield one on amazon. Sticks perfect no bubbles on the edge

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
ive got to say at this point. my pixel 2 non XL is a great phone. i don't have a single bad thing to say about it other than.... i bought some JBL bluetooth earbuds and the earbuds were broken and drained their charge so not having a headphone jack sucked the time my BT earbuds were empty (i have since RMAd them and am bringing the dongle which is fine).

But i got my google home mini today and wow... its amazing. Also I finally found a screen protector that isnt awful. If any of you were looking for a screen protector that sticks get the shattershield one on amazon. Sticks perfect no bubbles on the edge
Is that screen protector plastic? I'm looking for a glass one for my XL.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I went to a concert with my Pixel 2 XL and recorded some video. I get home and play back some of it and the audio is horrible. I thought maybe if I play it back on my TV with Chromecast it might sound better, nope. So I Google Pixel 2 XL audio recording issues and sure enough I got hits. Seems like this is a known issue that Google says they’ll address with a patch in the “coming weeks”. *sigh* WTF LG and Google?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Strange cause the LG V20 and G6 are known for their very high quality audio recording capabilities. It seems these manufacturers cut some corners for Google, even now when Google is charging premium prices.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Yea I'm trying to find one for the 2 XL. I had one similar but the sides didn't stick properly.

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
Well after spending the weekend with the 2 XL I'm pretty happy with it, battery life is really impressive and the camera seems a lot quicker. The colors were really muted out of the box, nothing too bad really but I still changed it to saturated, once I changed that it looks pretty good. I have some blue shift, not really that bad imo, I looked for it when I first got it but in use I'm rarely noticing it and it really isn't that distracting to me.

I ran this LCD screen fix test a bit when I first got it, not sure if that would help avoid burn in but I'll probably continue to do it for a week or so. It doesn't look like I have any burn in yet, but it's only been 3 days since I got my phone and I the the update for the fading buttons loaded right when I got the phone.

I hope the audio recording thing gets fixed, I got some good videos from concerts with my Pixel XL and the audio came out really well on there.

I put a skinomi full body protector on my phone for now, I know a lot of people don't like those kind of wet application screens but in my experience they work the best on curved screens. I was able to get it on and it covers the entire front glass which is nice.

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006
Hmm, I would have to test my Pixel XL 2016 vs my Pixel 2. But I know for sure the audio level and quality is leaps and bounds better than my 6P. The 6P is utter garbage in that dept.

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
Just curious but does anyone know if you can activate a Verizon version (like the kinda blue pixel 2) of the phone on project fi? I imagine the bootloader would still be locked but I've seen some info saying the phones aren't locked to Verizon.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Just curious but does anyone know if you can activate a Verizon version (like the kinda blue pixel 2) of the phone on project fi? I imagine the bootloader would still be locked but I've seen some info saying the phones aren't locked to Verizon.
All the pixel phones are unlocked. The Verizon version just comes with a Verizon sim. You should be fine.

Also I now notice burn in on my replacement unit. Thinking about doing an RMA again.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Ugh, my phone's alarm didn't go off this morning and discovered my XL rebooted itself. Then noticed that all of my paired bluetooth devices were deleted. Read that this is a new issue and that some have sent their phones back for replacements. If it happens again, I'll look into RMA'ing it. How do you file a RMA?

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
Might not want to RMA it, seems the reboot issue is known and there is a fix coming for it http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/1...-xl-random-reboots-will-rolling-coming-weeks/

I must be lucky because I don't see any kind of burn in on my screen yet, I have started noticing some poor pixel transitions though which is kind of annoying. Especially when looking through pictures, my gf has dark hair and flipping through pictures leaves a dark trail behind her hair when I'm scrolling through.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Ugh, my phone's alarm didn't go off this morning and discovered my XL rebooted itself. Then noticed that all of my paired bluetooth devices were deleted. Read that this is a new issue and that some have sent their phones back for replacements. If it happens again, I'll look into RMA'ing it. How do you file a RMA?
You can contact google from settings, about, support. Either tap chat or call. Or you can go to the Google store support page on PC and initiate a chat or call them there. There are some fixes coming in December.

ChronoReverse

Platinum Member
Mar 4, 2004
Might not want to RMA it, seems the reboot issue is known and there is a fix coming for it http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/1...-xl-random-reboots-will-rolling-coming-weeks/

I must be lucky because I don't see any kind of burn in on my screen yet, I have started noticing some poor pixel transitions though which is kind of annoying. Especially when looking through pictures, my gf has dark hair and flipping through pictures leaves a dark trail behind her hair when I'm scrolling through.
Yours is the XL right? The LG panel is behaving like the older Samsung OLED's in terms of black to colour transition. Most noticeable when scrolling black objects on a white background.

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
Yeah I have the XL, I did notice it on my Note 4 when I had that too. Not sure it's enough to make me return it but I am tempted to return it and just get the smaller Pixel 2. I usually go with the bigger phones for the increased battery size but everything I've heard says the Pixel 2 still has great battery life. I figure I could go to the Pixel 2 and avoid the growing pains for LG's OLED panels and hopefully they'd be sorted in the next year or 2.

All the pixel phones are unlocked. The Verizon version just comes with a Verizon sim. You should be fine.

Also I now notice burn in on my replacement unit. Thinking about doing an RMA again.

Just curious, what are you using to check for burn in? I've used a few different sites/apps and haven't seen anything yet, I have been somewhat careful about not leaving my screen on a lot but for a lot of people it seems normal use is causing burn in. I did use an app called Screen Color(Burn-in Tool) to try to evenly wear the screen in a bit, it lets you set a time and it rotates through 8 or so full screen colors. Not sure if that helps at all really but I haven't seen any burn in yet.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Yeah I have the XL, I did notice it on my Note 4 when I had that too. Not sure it's enough to make me return it but I am tempted to return it and just get the smaller Pixel 2. I usually go with the bigger phones for the increased battery size but everything I've heard says the Pixel 2 still has great battery life. I figure I could go to the Pixel 2 and avoid the growing pains for LG's OLED panels and hopefully they'd be sorted in the next year or 2.

Just curious, what are you using to check for burn in? I've used a few different sites/apps and haven't seen anything yet, I have been somewhat careful about not leaving my screen on a lot but for a lot of people it seems normal use is causing burn in. I did use an app called Screen Color(Burn-in Tool) to try to evenly wear the screen in a bit, it lets you set a time and it rotates through 8 or so full screen colors. Not sure if that helps at all really but I haven't seen any burn in yet.
I'm using this image I've downloaded and saved to my device.

e7e60574eca84782ed2ad73468a33ba9.jpg

ChronoReverse

Platinum Member
Mar 4, 2004
I also test for Black Crush with this image:
https://imgur.com/a/qYUNO

Many many many phones will not show 1-4. My own HTC 10 does but you can only see it with maximum brightness. This was an issue noticed back in the Galaxy S4 days with its Samsung OLED panel.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
I used that gray image and found that I do have some very slight burn in, but I can't actually see it anywhere other than on that gray image. Since it's covered under warranty I'm not worried about it. If it ever gets noticeable I'll just RMA.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Yea it's not noticeable on anything besides that grey image. We have 2 years warranty so if anything there are lots of chances to send it back.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Yea it's not noticeable on anything besides that grey image. We have 2 years warranty so if anything there are lots of chances to send it back.
My credit card extends that warranty another 2 years (may be 1, but I think it is 2), so I'm most definitely not worried.

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
anyone else install 8.1 beta or whatever it was.

I can't honestly say anything seems different but I guess it turns on the HDR chip

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I'd rather wait for the released stuff in December. Once you opt out of the beta your device gets wiped. It also has a bunch of fixes one of them I think being the garbled sound on video recording.