Pirate Attack on Italian Cruise Ship Foiled

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
Originally posted by: Craig234
It is all about risk assessment. Right now it is high reward with low risk, we need to change that to high risk and then they will stop. It will probably take a LOT more than three dead teenage pirates too.

How many foreign ship crews stealing their fishing and polluting their waters will it take to make that 'high risk', and do you support our taking those actions?
I am going to guess that they are not targeting just the people who are stealing 'their' fish though. How many American fishing vessels do you think are over there?

Never said all the piracy is caused by the fish-stealing and polluting.

It has nothing to do with fish and pollution and everything to do with cold hard cash.

So your position is, make one wrong 'high risk', and ignore the other. Let's be clear.

You say 'it' - whatever 'it' is - 'has nothing to do with fish and pollution and everything to do with cold hard cash.'

Funny, the Somalis would probably say 'it has nothing to do with piracy, and everything to do with the cold hard cash from stealing fish and polluting.' Why are you right, not them?

Why not say both deserve being made into 'high risk' activities to stop them? If you want to save the typing, we know the answer, because only one issue fits your ideology.

theflyingpig

Banned
Mar 9, 2008
This is an excellent solution. The more pirates are slaughtered the better. They must be made to understand fear. Everyone knows this.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Craig you are a fool.

The only time you see evil or people acting badly is if those people are American. Everyone else in the world is just misunderstood or acting that way because others forced them into those circumstances.

Think about it.

A Somali can spend a year on a boat as a fisherman and make perhaps a few hundred dollars.

Or.

He can pirate one ship and in the course of a few weeks make over $100,000.

Do you really think these guys are pirating just because the fish have gone away and they have no other way of making a living? Or could it be due to the fact that they can make a ton of money with very little risk??

These aren't poor beleaguered fishermen forced into a life of crime. They are nothing more than common thugs and criminals preying on the weak.

imported_Lothar

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2006
Originally posted by: KK
I'm sure the liberals will be saying that we should negotiate by sitting down at a table and discussing what the pirates needs are. No need to escalate the situation into cold blooded murder.

The liberals will negotiate by sitting down at a table and discussing what the pirates needs are and also snipe them in the process.
Sounds like a good strategy to me...especially if it saves lives. ;)

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
Craig you are a fool.

The only time you see evil or people acting badly is if those people are American. Everyone else in the world is just misunderstood or acting that way because others forced them into those circumstances.

Think about it.

A Somali can spend a year on a boat as a fisherman and make perhaps a few hundred dollars.

Or.

He can pirate one ship and in the course of a few weeks make over $100,000.

Do you really think these guys are pirating just because the fish have gone away and they have no other way of making a living? Or could it be due to the fact that they can make a ton of money with very little risk??

These aren't poor beleaguered fishermen forced into a life of crime. They are nothing more than common thugs and criminals preying on the weak.

Well, the guy who got nailed and shipped here said he wanted to be a pimp after he got the money.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Originally posted by: Lothar
I'm sure the liberals will be saying that we should negotiate by sitting down at a table and discussing what the pirates needs are. No need to escalate the situation into cold blooded murder.

The liberals will negotiate by sitting down at a table and discussing what the pirates needs are and also snipe them in the process.

What? :confused:

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
It is all about risk assessment. Right now it is high reward with low risk, we need to change that to high risk and then they will stop. It will probably take a LOT more than three dead teenage pirates too.

How many foreign ship crews stealing their fishing and polluting their waters will it take to make that 'high risk', and do you support our taking those actions?
I am going to guess that they are not targeting just the people who are stealing 'their' fish though. How many American fishing vessels do you think are over there?

It has nothing to do with fish and pollution and everything to do with cold hard cash.

So your position is, make one wrong 'high risk', and ignore the other. Let's be clear.

You say 'it' - whatever 'it' is - 'has nothing to do with fish and pollution and everything to do with cold hard cash.'

Funny, the Somalis would probably say 'it has nothing to do with piracy, and everything to do with the cold hard cash from stealing fish and polluting.' Why are you right, not them?

Why not say both deserve being made into 'high risk' activities to stop them? If you want to save the typing, we know the answer, because only one issue fits your ideology.

I seriously think you just devil's advocate just to troll.

Kill any person trying to illegaly board, problem solved.

manowar821

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2007

Yes, that's EXACTLY what I'd say. Holy butt, you people know me so well! /internet-sarcasm

Let's have a lesson, again, shall we? Social Liberalism/Permissive = The belief that one should be able to do anything they like so long as it doesn't harm anyone else.

These Somali pirates are trying to HURT people, right? So, one ("one" being somebody with basic cognitive ability) would conclude that any real liberal would say "blow their asses out of the water". Do you know why I'm condescending toward you? Because you're a fucking dipshit.

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004
the nice hotels being built where the pirates stay etc etc.

yeah, i heard there are throngs of tourists heading for the paradise that is Somalia.

you are such a f'ing joke.

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
Originally posted by: alien42

yeah, i heard there are throngs of tourists heading for the paradise that is Somalia.

looks like you r the f'ing joke here..

Text

"Years ago, our life depended on fishing, but now we have a lot of money. We have luxury cars, beautiful houses and everything we want in our coastal village," said Salah beloved patriot Bahdon, who identified himself as a pirate in a phone interview with The Associated Press from the community of Eyl. The region is where many hijacked ships are anchored while pirates negotiate ransoms.

Bahdon added, "It is like a small paradise where people are oblivious of the problems going on in the other corners of Somalia."

Piracy has improved the economy somewhat around Eyl, in the northern Puntland region. Commerce has increased because the pirates bring cash to spend. The pirates have promised to build new schools and better roads, but they have yet to deliver on those projects.

The AP called villagers in Eyl who had provided reliable information in the past, and they independently verified that Bahdon and two other men were pirates. The villagers also put an AP reporter in touch with the men.

One of the men insisted his pirate gang was not merely a band of ruffians, but a well-organized, business-minded group that also had philanthropic concerns.

"We have leaders, investors, young people who go to the sea for hunting ships and also negotiators in many areas," said the man, who identified himself only as Madobe and said he was in his 20s.

He said pirates also have "very reliable support from the people on the ground." And, he added, the pirates give a share of their ransom money to local elders, militia commanders and politicians to curb any threats.

Last year, pirates made off with up to $80 million in ransom money, said Roger Middleton, a piracy expert at the London-based think-tank Chatham House. Those hauls included payment for a Saudi oil tanker and a Ukrainian ship loaded with military tanks, both of which were later released.

Jack Flash

Golden Member
Sep 10, 2006
We really should look at attacking their land bases.

Identify some of the ships they use and blow them out of the water.

Or perhaps better, we should just sink them while at sea nice and quietly. That way the liberals don't get all excited over it.

Let's do it with helicopters! :cookie:

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004
Originally posted by: spacejamz

Text

"Years ago, our life depended on fishing, but now we have a lot of money. We have luxury cars, beautiful houses and everything we want in our coastal village," said Salah beloved patriot Bahdon, who identified himself as a pirate in a phone interview with The Associated Press from the community of Eyl. The region is where many hijacked ships are anchored while pirates negotiate ransoms.

Bahdon added, "It is like a small paradise where people are oblivious of the problems going on in the other corners of Somalia."

Piracy has improved the economy somewhat around Eyl, in the northern Puntland region. Commerce has increased because the pirates bring cash to spend. The pirates have promised to build new schools and better roads, but they have yet to deliver on those projects.

The AP called villagers in Eyl who had provided reliable information in the past, and they independently verified that Bahdon and two other men were pirates. The villagers also put an AP reporter in touch with the men.

One of the men insisted his pirate gang was not merely a band of ruffians, but a well-organized, business-minded group that also had philanthropic concerns.

"We have leaders, investors, young people who go to the sea for hunting ships and also negotiators in many areas," said the man, who identified himself only as Madobe and said he was in his 20s.

He said pirates also have "very reliable support from the people on the ground." And, he added, the pirates give a share of their ransom money to local elders, militia commanders and politicians to curb any threats.

Last year, pirates made off with up to $80 million in ransom money, said Roger Middleton, a piracy expert at the London-based think-tank Chatham House. Those hauls included payment for a Saudi oil tanker and a Ukrainian ship loaded with military tanks, both of which were later released.

nice hotels not found. it is a known fact that pirates have been raking in millions in ransom, no surprise there. you may now resume buffing Prof Johns new luxury car.

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003

Text

nice hotels not found. it is a known fact that pirates have been raking in millions in ransom, no surprise there. you may now resume buffing Prof Johns new luxury car.

why don't you back and read his post to the 'context' of what he was trying to say instead of being a jackass...

Atheus

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2005

No god forbid we should talk to people at a table of all things, I mean nothing ever got fixed by talking right, whereas violence has always been universally successful at solving problems...

This is the real world, not some ridiculous American movie, and it is actually possible to fight individual hijack attempts while also doing something about the root casue of the problem. I wonder how many of you wouldn't hijack a ship if you thought that was the only way to feed your family?

What this has to do with liberalism though I have absolutely no idea.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Harvey

I'm one liberal who's glad the cruise ship had security personnel onboard and that they were successful. This may be the only short term solution to stopping, or at least disuading the pirates. :thumbsup:

But nice generalization. Your certainty and a dollar bill wouldn't cover the price of a single item in a 99 Cents Store. :laugh:

He must have learned it from the master.

Now if he only progressed to using ostentatious amounts of bold font in his replies, then he would have truly arrived.

racolvin

Golden Member
Jul 26, 2004
Personally I'm all for taking the pirates at gunpoint, slashing their legs a few times with a good blade and then pushing them back into the water ...

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
Originally posted by: racolvin
Personally I'm all for taking the pirates at gunpoint, slashing their legs a few times with a good blade and then pushing them back into the water ...

maybe they should slash one leg off at the knee and then attach a peg leg before they throw them back in the water...

racolvin

Golden Member
Jul 26, 2004
Originally posted by: racolvin

maybe they should slash one leg off at the knee and then attach a peg leg before they throw them back in the water...

Good idea .. give the sharks a toothpick ;)

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003

:roll:

SammyJr

Golden Member
Feb 27, 2008

Big difference between thugs and Heads of State...

imported_Lothar

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2006
Originally posted by: OCguy
Originally posted by: Lothar

What? :confused:

WHOOSH!
Did you feel that?

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: OCguy

I seriously think you just devil's advocate just to troll.

You probably do, which says more about your lack of understanding than about my posts.

Kill any person trying to illegaly board, problem solved.

Completely irrelevant respnse to my post.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
What hypocrites! Due process! Treat them like criminals! We are Americans, we don't torture!

/liberal