Pirate Attack on Italian Cruise Ship Foiled

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
I'm sure the liberals will be saying that we should negotiate by sitting down at a table and discussing what the pirates needs are. No need to escalate the situation into cold blooded murder.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
We really should look at attacking their land bases.

Identify some of the ships they use and blow them out of the water.

Or perhaps better, we should just sink them while at sea nice and quietly. That way the liberals don't get all excited over it.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Originally posted by: ProfJohn

Or perhaps better, we should just sink them while at sea nice and quietly. That way the liberals don't get all excited over it.

At sea would be the best option, if we start going after the land bases, the civilians that they are hiding amongst will no doubt be injured and the world will just hate the US more. Maybe the pirates will piss off the Chinese or the Russians enough so that they take care of the situation on land.

Anyway, I am glad that the ship fended off the attack.

SirStev0

Lifer
Nov 13, 2003
Firstly, KK and Prof you are both pathetic tools.

Second, since I am an educated liberal, I know the only way to defeat pirates are with ninjas or vikings. So unless we start some major diplomacy now with either Scandinavia or Asia, we are screwed.

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
I always thought the best way to do with the pirates is to have the US buy several large pleasure yachts. Outfit the yachts with weaponry and concealed kevlar armor. Have the yachts cruise around off Somalia. When the pirates show up to raid the vessel, allow them to get close and then the weaponry pops out and the pirates wind up dead. If needed keep changing the names on the boats and colors to keep making them seem like different boats.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Originally posted by: KK
I'm sure the liberals will be saying that we should negotiate by sitting down at a table and discussing what the pirates needs are. No need to escalate the situation into cold blooded murder.

you know it. We would carry cake on the boats and give them young white women too.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

I'm one liberal who's glad the cruise ship had security personnel onboard and that they were successful. This may be the only short term solution to stopping, or at least disuading the pirates. :thumbsup:

But nice generalization. Your certainty and a dollar bill wouldn't cover the price of a single item in a 99 Cents Store. :laugh:

Mani

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2001

I'm sure republicans wish they would have hog tied those darkies and tarred and feathered them. See how stupid these generalizations are?

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
:laugh:

You mean their pirates cove?

Do you guys honestly believe these pirates are anything more than Somali street thugs in an inflatable boat?

Land bases...? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

BTW, kudos to the Italian cruise ship for thinking of the most obvious solution ever. If your boat is going anywhere near where Somali pirates dwell, hire a few armed guards. Problem solved.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Originally posted by: jpeyton

Do you guys honestly believe these pirates are anything more than Somali street thugs in an inflatable boat?
Yea... because a bunch of thugs hopped into a small speed boat and cruised 500 miles out from the coast looking for ships to attack.

The fact that they were operating that far away from the coast should tell you a little bit about their operations.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Yea... because a bunch of thugs hopped into a small speed boat and cruised 500 miles out from the coast looking for ships to attack.

The fact that they were operating that far away from the coast should tell you a little bit about their operations.

what about their operations? half of them are fishermen is it unfeasible that they would be able to "sail the high seas". It's not the movies pj there isn't 1 guy at some headquarters sending all these pirates out. Its anarchy. Probably thousands of different pirates doing whatever they want. You have been so discredited about any issue that I would suggest starting a new account so as to not be taken as a complete toolbag wherever you turn.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005

So do your parents know you are online blowing smoke up your ass??
As usual you have twisted things out of proportion.
Your taking this talking to our enemy to extremes why?
Because you a Republican loser!!
Of course if we are attacked we need to defend ourselves.
But when there is relatively nothing going on, whats the harm in talking with those we have issues with??

Me thinks you wish McCain was president...lol

extra

Golden Member
Dec 18, 1999

Can't believe I find myself agreeing with ProfJohn on something. :) For sure...just make them start quietly disappearing...

The thing is, it's a risk vs. reward issue. Once the pirates know that they have a high enough amount of risk, it will stop being worth the reward.

But nice generalization. Your certainty and a dollar bill wouldn't cover the price of a single item in a 99 Cents Store.

Epic. :0 I'm stealing that one.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000

It's a bunch of thugs who happen to have access to boats which can go out in deep water. I wonder how many people realize how far a fishing boat can travel? Hardly a great mystery.

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
If it weren't for the 2nd amendment, those pirates would have overwhelmed the ship. :D

jackschmittusa

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2003
KK

You have it ass-backwards. It was Rush that had a problem with shooting pirates and a Dem that ordered them shot.

Sheesh! Not even a month and you want to respin history. Hell, even my old fart's memory is longer than that.

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
Originally posted by: jackschmittusa
KK

You have it ass-backwards. It was Rush that had a problem with shooting pirates and a Dem that ordered them shot.

Sheesh! Not even a month and you want to respin history. Hell, even my old fart's memory is longer than that.

But does it stink?

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Originally posted by: Hayabusa Rider

It's a bunch of thugs who happen to have access to boats which can go out in deep water. I wonder how many people realize how far a fishing boat can travel? Hardly a great mystery.
And these fishing boats have home ports, places to refuel, places where the crew lives etc etc.

There was a good article a while back about the effect piracy is having on certain port towns in Somalia. The sudden influx of money, the nice hotels being built where the pirates stay etc etc.

There is an infrastructure that is helping to support these pirates and if we wanted we could start working to degrade these facilities.

It is all about risk assessment. Right now it is high reward with low risk, we need to change that to high risk and then they will stop. It will probably take a LOT more than three dead teenage pirates too.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
It is all about risk assessment. Right now it is high reward with low risk, we need to change that to high risk and then they will stop. It will probably take a LOT more than three dead teenage pirates too.

How many foreign ship crews stealing their fishing and polluting their waters will it take to make that 'high risk', and do you support our taking those actions?

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Originally posted by: Craig234

How many foreign ship crews stealing their fishing and polluting their waters will it take to make that 'high risk', and do you support our taking those actions?
I am going to guess that they are not targeting just the people who are stealing 'their' fish though. How many American fishing vessels do you think are over there?

It has nothing to do with fish and pollution and everything to do with cold hard cash.