PiPiPiPiPiPiPiPiPiPi...

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001
I thought that would get people's attention, considering the circumstances, but this is a real thread.

Has anyone ever ACTUALLY PROVEN that irrational numbers (like PI) are TRULY irrational, or is it possilbe that one day, with something like quantum computing, we might find out the exact value of PI?

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
I voted for an 'eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee' parody thread but alas, I can't have everything I want, can I?

Vertimus

Banned
Apr 2, 2004
Err.. the proof for irrationality of PI and E and countless other numbers have been around for hundreds of years...

Edit: Pi and E are also proved to be transcendental, i.e. they can't be a root of a polynomial with integer coefficients.

Pi^e and e^pi have been proved to be irrational, but not transcendental.

Mrvile

Lifer
Oct 16, 2004
Deep question:

If someone was to make up an irrational number, and for his whole life just write out random numbers, would there eventually be a pattern? Will he eventually and unconciously begin a pattern? Or maybe complete randomness is impossible? Do irrational numbers even exist?

ActuaryTm

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2003
Originally posted by: UNCjigga
I voted for an 'eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee' parody thread but alas, I can't have everything I want, can I?
I support your cause, and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Vertimus

Banned
Apr 2, 2004
Originally posted by: Mrvile
Deep question:

If someone was to make up an irrational number, and for his whole life just write out random numbers, would there eventually be a pattern? Will he eventually and unconciously begin a pattern? Or maybe complete randomness is impossible? Do irrational numbers even exist?

If I were to make an irrational number:

it would be 0.010010001000010000010000001....

which is not exactly random, but still irrational, since it never repeats.

shuan24

Platinum Member
Jul 17, 2003
Are zebras white with black stripes or are they black with white stripes? If they are indeed white with black stripes, could there exist a species of zebras that are black with white stripes? If so, how can you prove that rationality?

Mrvile

Lifer
Oct 16, 2004
Originally posted by: Vertimus
Deep question:

Are you sure? Forever is a lot of numbers...maybe fractals could explain a larger pattern out there that we don't see.

Vertimus

Banned
Apr 2, 2004
Deep question:

Are you sure? Forever is a lot of numbers...maybe fractals could explain a larger pattern out there that we don't see.

WTF?

fractles have nothing to do with this...

If i have ONE 0 followed by ONE 1
followed by TWO 0 followed by ONE 1
followed by THREE 0 followed by ONE 1
followed by FOUR 0 followed by ONE 1
followed by FRIVE 0 followed by ONE 1
and so on

there would never be a pattern. How do you suppose there could be a pattern?

Mrvile

Lifer
Oct 16, 2004
Deep question:

WTF?

fractles have nothing to do with this...

If i have ONE 0 followed by ONE 1
followed by TWO 0 followed by ONE 1
followed by THREE 0 followed by ONE 1
followed by FOUR 0 followed by ONE 1
followed by FRIVE 0 followed by ONE 1
and so on

there would never be a pattern. How do you suppose there could be a pattern?

You're looking at the world like this *hand gesture* you should be looking at the world like this *hand gesture*

Ahhhh nvm.