Pioneer SP-BS21-LR Speakers $70 shipped for the pair - Probably the last chance

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

EliteRetard

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2006
Any chance these will work as replacements for the speakers on an old Logitech Z-5500?

I picked up a set on clearance years ago for $150...great for the money, but I've always wanted more high end out of it. I like the 2x stereo mode on this thing for music...and I like the 5.1 for when I'm throwing a rave (or whatever). I actually like the sub and however they set it up, I never get voices on it like many other systems and it usually just sounds like its supposed to. I get a BUMP instead of a FUDddd...and there's no stupid rattle or other weird noise. Then again I don't know anybody with expensive speakers.

I could be convinced to build a whole new system, pick up 2-3 sets (one or two as a center? is that possible/good or bad idea?). and a sub? and something to connect it to the PC? I like the 5.1 for some stuff, and dual stereo for music. So what do you guys think? Should I just grab 2 or 3 sets now and worry about the other questions later? I'm definitely a fan of value...and appreciate good sound (though I have damaged hearing and aint an audiophile).

TwiceOver

Lifer
Dec 20, 2002
Pretty good reviews, but no way to wall mount? I would want to use them for surrounds.

cytoSiN

Platinum Member
Jul 11, 2002
Pretty good reviews, but no way to wall mount? I would want to use them for surrounds.

Where there's a will...I'm considering this as well and will report back once I figure out whether it's worth trying a custom mod.

reallyscrued

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2004
Any chance these will work as replacements for the speakers on an old Logitech Z-5500?

I picked up a set on clearance years ago for $150...great for the money, but I've always wanted more high end out of it. I like the 2x stereo mode on this thing for music...and I like the 5.1 for when I'm throwing a rave (or whatever). I actually like the sub and however they set it up, I never get voices on it like many other systems and it usually just sounds like its supposed to. I get a BUMP instead of a FUDddd...and there's no stupid rattle or other weird noise. Then again I don't know anybody with expensive speakers.

I could be convinced to build a whole new system, pick up 2-3 sets (one or two as a center? is that possible/good or bad idea?). and a sub? and something to connect it to the PC? I like the 5.1 for some stuff, and dual stereo for music. So what do you guys think? Should I just grab 2 or 3 sets now and worry about the other questions later? I'm definitely a fan of value...and appreciate good sound (though I have damaged hearing and aint an audiophile).

You could certainly replace the satellites on your Z-5500 (if they use speaker wire, i know later models did, it'd be even easier and the ohms match fine) but you're in an interesting position. Since the Z-5500 got rave reviews and is discontinued, also Logitech keeps putting out speaker systems that are inferior to the 5500s, they have made somewhat of a legendary status for the resale market.

Check amazon, used sets sell for upwards of $400. With that kind of money, an entry Home Theater system should blow your Z5500s away for both far-field and nearfield listening.

Another reason I wouldn't go and replace the satellites on your Z5500s is that the satellites are probably crossed over in your sub/amp combo at about the 150 hz range. This makes your sub sound boomy since it's playing a little midbass/low treble and your speakers tinny since they will be playing only treble. You'll be losing a lot of what these Pioneers or any speaker can achieve with 4 inch woofers.

If you can get lucky and sell your 5500s at a high price, grab a refurbed receiver and go to town.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=89614

EDIT: Due to comb filtering, best to use 1 center channel speaker. But you will gain improvements from the speaker being vertical instead of horizontal.

If you get 3 sets, use 1 speaker as a center and 1 speaker as rear center for a 6.1. Your reciever will downmix new blurays from 7.1 to 6.1 (it will just combine the rear channels)

I'm going to use them as surrounds too.

Grab something like this from your local hardware store:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70103622/

Last edited:

Plugers

Mar 22, 2002

Buy some of THESE

And some of THESE rated for 10lbs, they should be fine as the speakers are 8.4lbs.

..but THESE are rated for 33lbs if that makes you feel more safe.

Just buy the bracket of your choice, make a template out of paper or cardboard and drill the holes for your inserts. Then just bolt them to the bracket.

p_monks33

Golden Member
May 22, 2011
These are some really nice mounts for bookshelf speakers, I have a set with polk audio's on them and they are really sturdy, I used my own screws for the anchor into the wall stud, the ones they provided looked like they might strip, I spent 2 bucks at lowes for some decent ones. I know they are more expensive than the speakers, but they should last forever, god forbid someone swing off of one drunk.

cytoSiN

Platinum Member
Jul 11, 2002
Grab something like this from your local hardware store:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70103622/

Buy some of THESE

And some of THESE rated for 10lbs, they should be fine as the speakers are 8.4lbs.

..but THESE are rated for 33lbs if that makes you feel more safe.

Just buy the bracket of your choice, make a template out of paper or cardboard and drill the holes for your inserts. Then just bolt them to the bracket.

Why am I not surprised that Ikea and Monoprice combine to form some unstoppable beast? Awesome suggestions, thanks guys!

TwiceOver

Lifer
Dec 20, 2002
Screw it. In for 2 pair. Prepping a 7.1 system and I doubt I'd come across better bang/buck speakers to use for the four surrounds.

cytoSiN

Platinum Member
Jul 11, 2002
That's basically what I said...bought a pair to use with my Lepai amp (the same one recommended above, but I've had it for a while) in my basement/shop, but should have bought another set in case I ever wanted 5.1 in there.

Tstorm82

Jan 28, 2007
These are some really nice mounts for bookshelf speakers, I have a set with polk audio's on them and they are really sturdy, I used my own screws for the anchor into the wall stud, the ones they provided looked like they might strip, I spent 2 bucks at lowes for some decent ones. I know they are more expensive than the speakers, but they should last forever, god forbid someone swing off of one drunk.

These are what I used to mount my pioneers. I also used my own screws to attach them to the wall. I screwed the speakers to the mounts as well. They are mounted solidly.

cytoSiN

Platinum Member
Jul 11, 2002
Anyone know how these sound compared to the ubiquitous Dayton B652s? Considering the price of the Daytons, I'm curious what kind of step up the Pios provide. Not that it matters, since I already bought the Pios, but I have another room in mind and trying to decide if it's worth another set of these, or if I should go with the Daytons.

reallyscrued

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2004
Anyone know how these sound compared to the ubiquitous Dayton B652s? Considering the price of the Daytons, I'm curious what kind of step up the Pios provide. Not that it matters, since I already bought the Pios, but I have another room in mind and trying to decide if it's worth another set of these, or if I should go with the Daytons.

My uneducated guess is that the Pios sound better. Unless it's all marketing, here's what I can surmise:

Those Daytons probably don't use expensive crossovers on the inside, they're likely just hardwired to each drivers in a series with a few resistors acting ass low/high pass filters. Open up your Pioneer speaker at the connection port and you'll be amazed at what you find.

The Daytons use a square cabinet. Pioneers and most expensive'er speakers use rounded or curved cabinets to limit parallel surfaces to avoid lulls and standing waves.

The Daytons weigh 11 pounds for the pair...1 BS22 weighs almost 9 pounds. Bigger magnets/heavier cabinet.

The Pioneers have 4 inch woofers are are rated at 60hz low end, the dayton have larger woofers (6.5 inch) and are rated at 70hz low end. I'm sure both manufacturers exaggerated their claims, but it's still odd that with a 6.5 inch woofer they'd rate it with such little bass.

4 ohms? Yeah right. 20 gauge cables? That's cute.

They also said they were reviewed by stereophile... I can't for the life of me find that review. The Pioneers were certainly reviewed though, even have full frequency response graphs in the 'measurements' page.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/pioneer-sp-bs41-lr-loudspeaker-measurements

It's for the Bs41 but they're comparable.

For 30 bucks a pair...that's 15 dollars a speaker, that's less than a decent dinner for a speaker, I'm sure they're a great value and can outperform many speakers that come with Home Theater's in a Box from Walmart or Target. Beyond that you have the Pioneers. Then beyond that you've got the expensive stuff that I'm not privileged enough to own.

cytoSiN

Platinum Member
Jul 11, 2002
Thanks, that's helpful. I read a review of the 21s where the reviewer (an admitted audio snob) said the crossovers in those were poor as well, but that the cabinets were so fantastic that he was going to rebuild the speakers but reuse the cabinets. That alone means they probably sound a lot better than the B652s.

reallyscrued

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2004
Thanks, that's helpful. I read a review of the 21s where the reviewer (an admitted audio snob) said the crossovers in those were poor as well, but that the cabinets were so fantastic that he was going to rebuild the speakers but reuse the cabinets. That alone means they probably sound a lot better than the B652s.

You know...audio is so subjective that it's kind of unfair to make any statements like that (even though my entire previous post reeked of the Pioneers' make-believe eliteness, as if they have any for 50 bucks).

'Sounds good' is something that is so personal and such an intimate satisfaction that it's hard to take people seriously when the majority of the population hop into their cars and turn their EQ's to "+5 Treble, +5 Bass" and love the way it sounds. At the other end of the spectrum, it's equally hard to take professional reviewers seriously when they claim one $80,000 speaker blows away another $60,000 speaker. I mean, really? Is there that much room for improvement?

I've got many songs in Mp3 are ripped from my father's audio cassette collection. I've reacquired many of the these songs released in a digital fashion and I do not like listening to them. I'm sure the mastering is the same, and it's not a rerelease, it's the same damn thing, but feeling of nostalgia in the low-fi audiocassete is rather satisfying to me (even if it was artificially captured by an encoder). How are you supposed to force me to like one version more than the other if my feelings and emotions are already set in stone around how a song is supposed to sound? I'm sure technically, the CD or digital release sounds better, but not to me. I'm convinced it's the same mentality that fuels the vinyl vs. digital discussions; the ones who prefer vinyl are blinded by nostalgia.

My point is, listen to what you think sounds good. How do you purchase a car? Drive a lot of them until you find one that suits your needs, right? Well listen to a lot of speakers until you find one that satisfies. For $30 it may be worth getting the Daytons anyway just to hear how they sound, you can always gift them or do something clever with them.

Too bad it's that mentality that leads most of the posters on this forum acquiring so many unused possessions. Not useless, just unused.

....this is Hot Deals, right?

Last edited:

reallyscrued

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2004
$69.99 now. :\

Yeah. Updated OP and thread title.

Not sure how hot is it anymore. For $84.99 you can grab a pair of the Polk Monitor 30s II which have a larger driver and are more sensitive. They also have the ability to be Bi-amped.

It's an odd decision now, the Polks edge out the Pios in specs but the latter weighs more and appears more solid so in real life performance...who knows. Anyone who has heard both care to chime in? Can't find a review site that directly compared them (which is odd since they both share the same market segment).

craftech

Nov 26, 2000
OK, I received them last night and have been trying them out for around 12 hours total.

Decent sounding set of speakers for $50. These replaced a set from Parts Express in my kitchen that had a blown tweeter. My kitchen is very large (like two normal kitchens in size).

I play them low (it is after all the kitchen) which I would recommend for anyone buying these.
They distort at higher volumes. I am driving them with an older stereo receiver that I moved to the kitchen. The 6 ohm impedance of these speakers rather than the 8 ohm impedance the receiver calls for doesn't seem to be a problem.

Nice deal.

John