Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Announced

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
So, managed to get in like 4 hours of play yesterday. Spent almost two creating my character :p Mostly coming down to what race, class, and subclass I wanted to be. I ended up going with a Pale Elf Ranger with Sharpshooter subclass and a bear as my pet. But I was really tempted to go godlike wizard. I may still do that, need to play more as the ranger to see if I like it.

I have not had any technical issues. Frame rate is solid, load times are way less than what some have mentioned (Most likely comes down to drive speed). And so far I like it. I love that you can use the vox machina character voices (characters from critical role).

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
So, wasn't digging the Ranger. So started over with a Sorcerer (Wizard/Warlock Multiclass), so far liking it more.

ArenCordial

Sep 18, 2012
I got to play all yesterday because I was feeling sick (cough) and had an absolute blast. Went back and forth but settled on a fighter/cipher (soul blade). I basically lead off with penetrating strike, build up a lot of focus then soul annhilate. Works really well and then mob stance gives me a free full attack when I down someone. If there’s too many foes I quickly dominate one and turn the odds.

Got to Neketaka (the first major city) and pretty much spent all day there and there still is a decent amount of things in the city to do.

The game has won me over despite some reservations on some changes like the move to a per encounter resource system. Combat is fun, the game world is a lot more interesting that Pillars 1, even the ship combat isn’t terrible despite my fears and you can always to for a quick board if you don’t want to bother with it.

Overall I like it way more than the first.

bguile

Nov 30, 2011
I got to play all yesterday because I was feeling sick (cough) and had an absolute blast. Went back and forth but settled on a fighter/cipher (soul blade). I basically lead off with penetrating strike, build up a lot of focus then soul annhilate. Works really well and then mob stance gives me a free full attack when I down someone. If there’s too many foes I quickly dominate one and turn the odds.

Got to Neketaka (the first major city) and pretty much spent all day there and there still is a decent amount of things in the city to do.

The game has won me over despite some reservations on some changes like the move to a per encounter resource system. Combat is fun, the game world is a lot more interesting that Pillars 1, even the ship combat isn’t terrible despite my fears and you can always to for a quick board if you don’t want to bother with it.

Overall I like it way more than the first.

My only complaint so far is that I got to Neketaka, and am being bombarded with quests. I really like the city, very interesting and colorful, so I want to explore it but everywhere I go, someone wants something. It's sorta like going straight from the starter Engwithian Ruins in Pillars 1 to Defiance Bay, so the pacing seems a little off in that regard. Been doing a lot of talking, but haven't really had much combat at all. I did have some issues with the mouse during conversations, but turning off steam overlay cleared it up.

bfun_x1

May 29, 2015
The ability to choose the the class of your companions is an interesting idea but it also tricky trying to predict which class will the most useful down the road. I'm stuck deciding if I need Serafen to be a barbarian or a cipher. Whats the general opinion of chanters? I didn't really like them in the last game. They seemed like a good choice for multiple easy battles but not so great for the hard ones.

ArenCordial

Sep 18, 2012
The ability to choose the the class of your companions is an interesting idea but it also tricky trying to predict which class will the most useful down the road. I'm stuck deciding if I need Serafen to be a barbarian or a cipher. Whats the general opinion of chanters? I didn't really like them in the last game. They seemed like a good choice for multiple easy battles but not so great for the hard ones.

I made Serafen a Witch. Cipher is a really good multi class for melee characters with some great passives. Having some buffs/debuffs gives them nice utility. So far Chanters seem like they are one of the best improved classes because their chants give really nice passive boosts and their summons are good and they have some okay heals.

The only classes that strike me as underwhelming is the Ranger and Rogue because none of their high level abilities are that good. They make great multi-classes though because all their good stuff comes early on. The only classes that probably should remain single class are the big spellcasters (Druid, Priest, Wizard) because they have nice high level abilities and getting them a few levels faster can matter.

Last edited:

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
I was not happy with Ranger as it doesn't seem to want to be a ranged only class. I think everything should be to make it an awesome archer, but it just isn't.

Been happy with my sorcerer though.

bguile

Nov 30, 2011
After 150+ hours, and multiple restarts (kept experiment with different classes), I finally finished this. Overall I really enjoyed it. This was despite the fact that two of the strongest points in the game, the main story, and the companions & their side quests, were not as good as the first game. The main story is really short, and should have been fleshed out more. There is no real villain to defeat, instead, in the end you end up making some significant changes to how the world of Eora will function, and it should have been expanded more to give it more weight. As it is it felt rushed, like you were just along for the ride, especially the final area. Also, you will be interacting with the Gods of Eora face to face quite often, and it cheapens their quality/mystique quite a bit. Finally, the companions didn't do much for me. Eder is pretty good, and Serafin is really good, but the others I didn't care for, for various reasons. Also the companion side quests were kinda short, and rather uninteresting.

What I really enjoyed was the exploring the islands and their dungeons, interacting with the four main factions, the side quests, and the small details they put into the game (like sloshing through swamps, the shanties, the way Xoti's lantern cast party shadows around as moved, the background NPC's chattering away, etc). The dungeons seemed much smaller compared to the first, but also more detailed and interesting.

The combat was super easy (after about level 10-12 I felt like I was on autopilot), but they are working on fixing that. Not sure how I liked the way spells and weapons skills were implemented compared to the first, but I did like combat skill tree, and the character skills (stealth, diplomacy, etc) all came into play during conversations, and scripted encounters on the islands.

I would probably wait until they finish balancing the combat, and cleaning up some bugs before getting it, and maybe the first dlc, but if you were a fan of the 1st, I would recommend deadfire.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I remember I thought I backed this so went to check and found it has my $45 package for 'deluxe' tier, but says it still needs to be 'confirmed'.

So apparently I can go pay $45 and get this, or not and wait to buy just the game later for less. Wonder if it's worth doing the $45 option.

"REWARDS
  • Digital Copy of Pillars II
  • Digital Guidebook Volume II
  • In-Game Pet
  • Special In-Game Item #1
  • Special In-Game Item #2
  • Digital Soundtrack
  • Forum Badge
  • "Cooking with Tim, Vol. 1" Digital RPG Cookbook
  • Pillars of Eternity Pen & Paper Starter Guide
  • Tyranny 50%-off Coupon"
So I guess I'd be getting it now when that's about the going price (currently same on gog, cheapest is $36).

Main benefits look like the 'in game pet' and whatever 'in game items 1 and 2' are and the 'digital guide volume ii' (not volume 1?)

Hm, I'm not sure but I might have $5 off that price making it $40.

bfun_x1

May 29, 2015
I finished yesterday at 92 hours. This glitch makes it look like I fought Susan from Monsters VS Aliens.

lbiuDs0.jpg

bfun_x1

May 29, 2015
And did you enjoy your journey ?

I think the game mechanics are it's best features. Leveling and fighting are a lot of fun. The graphics look nice. The main quest is pretty good but the side quest are weak and I felt like exploring the map wasn't rewarding. The companion relationships are another area that could stand some improvements. Conversations seemed to come at inappropriate times or would repeat. At the end of the game I got both the Eder+Xoti and Player+Xoti endings. I had fun playing but I also felt that it was unpolished and lacking good side content. I'd give it a 7/10

Reactions: you2

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
No opinion whether it's worth getting that $40 'deluxe' version?

The items that come with deluxe and what I think (I purchased the deluxe version):

Soundtrack: I do really like the music, so for me its great.
In Game Pet: Better than most you will find until you get 20+ hours into the game. So cool, but not an absolute must or anything.
In Game Item: Handy, but you will get by fine without them.
Digital Pen & Pager Guide: Very cool if you like playing D&D, and wan't to play PoE with people
Digital Hi-Res Map: This is actually pretty cool
Digital Guidebook Vol II: Very nice if you are new to the game (like me, I did not play PoE 1).

However, the steam summer sale is over now, so the prices are back up too.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
The items that come with deluxe and what I think (I purchased the deluxe version):

Soundtrack: I do really like the music, so for me its great.
In Game Pet: Better than most you will find until you get 20+ hours into the game. So cool, but not an absolute must or anything.
In Game Item: Handy, but you will get by fine without them.
Digital Pen & Pager Guide: Very cool if you like playing D&D, and wan't to play PoE with people
Digital Hi-Res Map: This is actually pretty cool
Digital Guidebook Vol II: Very nice if you are new to the game (like me, I did not play PoE 1).

However, the steam summer sale is over now, so the prices are back up too.

Ya, I backed it in their funding period. Didn't realize I already paid for it, but I'd decided to go ahead anyway; I have the $45 tier (they had a $5 coupon). I could upgrade further but nope.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
Yep patch notes were release the other day... Surprise it is such a large update; the notes were small.

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
Played though the first bit of the DLC last night. Traps seem broken in DLC, they are impossible to spot. I'm there with an end game party, which is a bit overleveled at the start. IIRC 16-17 is the target.