Pictures and google account on android

memory

Oct 3, 2010
This stuff really confuses me sometimes. With pics that are tied to a google account on a android phone, can you have it where they are stored on the phone itself as well? I have looked through settings and couldn't find anything.

Ravynmagi

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2007
No that I'm aware of. They are basically stored in the cloud. When you see an image you want to store locally, there is an option to download that image to the phone. But I'm guessing you want all your photos to download to the phone? I'm not aware of an easy way to do that. Google Drive has a desktop tool that you can use to sync all your photos to your computer. And from there you can copy all your pictures to your phone.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Yes

Would like to get all pics transferred. Figured there might be a simple way to do it but guess not
No easy way that I know of. I use GCloud backup to keep my images backed up and then easily transfer them to a phone when I get a new device. I use Google photos on the phone to keep them organized, but GCloud for transfer.

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
Open Camera app. Go to camera settings, then storage location, chose SD card. I use a 512GB microSD card with my note 9 (512GB).

transfer-files-images-android-storage-location-sd-card.jpg.optimal.jpg

If you have a Google Photos account....

After you take your pics/videos. Open the Google Folder. then tap on Photos. Tap on your profile picture tied to your Google account.
Click/select the photos/videos you want to upload to Google Photos and tap on Backup.

I also backup my photos/videos to a external HDD by connecting the phone to a PC via its USB-C port.

memory

Oct 3, 2010
So if I have photos tied to a google account, I have to have backup turned on in order to have each pic go to google photos? I don't get why there can't be an option that allows you to choose your google account to store pics. If I understand this right, even if photos tied to a google account, they are still stored on the phone, right? I figured there would be a way to store it to the google account instead of the phone.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
So if I have photos tied to a google account, I have to have backup turned on in order to have each pic go to google photos? I don't get why there can't be an option that allows you to choose your google account to store pics. If I understand this right, even if photos tied to a google account, they are still stored on the phone, right? I figured there would be a way to store it to the google account instead of the phone.

If you use the google photos app it will backup the photos to your cloud account with them. Yes the photos will stay on the phone but they are super easy to remove off of your phone. In settings there is a button that will remove all photos from your device that are backed up to the cloud. Easily freeing up space with one button press.

DaaQ

Golden Member
Dec 8, 2018
No, if you haven't went in and set up permissions, all photos will goto the Google Photos cloud.

You have to really put effort into not letting photos/video goto the cloud storage. To keep them on the device itself. Think XXX stuff you don't want floating around the ether.