Question Picking the right 13gen chip

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Looking to build a new computer either later this year or early next year. The i5-13600 family seems to be the right price point. Since I'm not planning on using the integrated GPU or overclocking should I be waiting for the 13600? Will there be a performance drop between that and the 13600K? When can be expect it to be released?
The other concern is motherboards. I was thinking of staying with the old chipset and fast DDR4. Which brand would be better MSI or Gigabyte?

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
For fast DDR4 (or for that matter DDR5) you need unlocked VCCSA voltages, and the non-K CPUs have VCCSA locked, limiting the memory speed you can run with 12th and 13th gen.

You should therefore be looking at the i5 13600KF, and motherboard choice depends on what features you want and brand preference, along with pricing.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
he other concern is motherboards. I was thinking of staying with the old chipset and fast DDR4. Which brand would be better MSI or Gigabyte?

NO.

Get on DDR5.
Get a PCI-E 5 Board.
Spend the extra 75 or so and the extra 50 on the ram, as it will be worth it.

Unless this machine is intended to be a office workstation for your admin to only run microsoft office, and other productivity software for office sittings, go with the better board option.

With a higher tier board, typically comes better build quality, and longer support.
Don't go with dying tech, unless your name happens to be AdamK who flips a PC every 4-6 months when he's bored.
But seriously... a newer gen board will have way more support for a longer duration in time, then an older one, that is set to retire out soon.
And DDR5 is a faster ram, and will offer you greater performance out of said machine.

As for vendors, i hate both.
Gigabyte only refurbishes RMA old boards even if they are 3 months old when they failed.
Im pretty anti gigabyte these days, as the entire AUROS line is the same exact board with only features being added on the higher tiers, but still the same exact board.

MSI, i have had hell with its build quality unless you get the Godlike series, which people say isn't that much better then MEG, but both the MEG and Godlike are very expensive boards.

I have had great luck with ASROCK Taichi series. Its actually one of my favorate.
ASRock Steel Legend is a mixed board, if you get a good one, its a excellent board, if you get a bad one, its a total nightmare.
ASRock PRO.... no.... id rather play the Steel Legend Lottery.....

ASUS... ahhh .... i have a Love Hate Detest relationship with ASUS....
STRIX... love.... but HATE the price.
MAXIMUS... adore.... but my wallet will cry...
All other ASUS line... i think of it almost like a COVID...
In short.... try to aim at a ROG brand board as its full of options, but your wallet will not enjoy it.

Avoid eVGA Dark unless your an overclocker, which u claim your not, as its a cut down dry board only designed for overclocking.

Last edited:

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Get on DDR5.
Get a PCI-E 5 Board.
Spend the extra 75 or so and the extra 50 on the ram, as it will be worth it.
Waste of money IMO. I went DDR4 and got PCIE 5 on a Z690. Savings was hundreds not just $125.

The board I went with has a mix of 3/4/5 on the slots and 3x gen4 for the M2's. There's even a model that has a gen5 slot for an M2 which even on the Z790 spread of boards doesn't look to he happening which chews up your X16 slot.

I've used ASRock / MSI for the past ~7 years and multiple builds / rebuilds and none have had issues. Well, the current 690 has an issue in Linux that requires blacklisting the on board NIC module to load the correct one but, otherwise it's great. Runs 24/7 w/o a hiccup.

Nothing in the OP screams the need to go DDR5. Frankly the speeds of DDR5 are comparable to DDR4 when you factor in the latency numbers that compensate for the higher speeds and split controller on the chips. You might be paying for 6000's but, then get a latency of 60 and then you're down to 3000/30 with the split on the chip. It's a mess at this point with no real benefit.

BTW I'm using the Steel Legend.

Reactions: igor_kavinski

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
I'd go with a Z690, 32 GB of DDR4 and a 13600K. KF if you want to save $30 but I'd get the K just for diagnostics purposes or if your video card ever dies and you got nothing on hand to use while your warranty processes. I'd pounce on a Z690 while they're still affordable and in production.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
@JTsyo another thing to consider is rebuilding every couple of years as things progress to recoup some money and get new tech advances at a cheaper price. The net cost upgrading from 8700k to 12700k was about the price of the CPU. Same goes for laptops. I picked up a barebones 12700h for $1300 and added ram/M2/4k120 screen for under $2k when a prebuilt with those options would have been twice that.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
I'm still rocking my i5-6600K. AAA games have dropped in quality in my eyes so I end up playing older games after they are on sale. With Intel the chipset doesn't last long enough for me to just upgrade. Also I pass down my PCs so it makes more sense to do a new machine.

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
Looking to build a new computer either later this year or early next year. The i5-13600 family seems to be the right price point. Since I'm not planning on using the integrated GPU or overclocking should I be waiting for the 13600? Will there be a performance drop between that and the 13600K? When can be expect it to be released?
The other concern is motherboards. I was thinking of staying with the old chipset and fast DDR4. Which brand would be better MSI or Gigabyte?

My only advice would be don't try to save $20 or so on a KF. An Igpu is a life save when troubleshooting issues, something I have missed on the Ryzen's I have been getting for a bit. Also Quicksync is worth it on its own. If you want to save money get a B class instead of Z class MB if you aren't going to over clock (though base clocks and turbo usually makes a K CPU worth it over a non-k).

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
My only advice would be don't try to save $20 or so on a KF. An Igpu is a life save when troubleshooting issues, something I have missed on the Ryzen's I have been getting for a bit. Also Quicksync is worth it on its own. If you want to save money get a B class instead of Z class MB if you aren't going to over clock (though base clocks and turbo usually makes a K CPU worth it over a non-k).
Yea, that was another thing I wanted to be sure of was that the Ks didn't have advantages over the non-K other than overclocking. Seems it's the 13600K for me.

Aapje

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2022
My only advice would be don't try to save $20 or so on a KF. An Igpu is a life save when troubleshooting issues, something I have missed on the Ryzen's I have been getting for a bit.

Another advantage of an iGPU is that you can use it in an office machine or sell it to someone who wants to use it that way. As CPU's get older and become unsuitable for gaming, they are still perfectly suitable for office work, but then you preferably don't want a discrete GPU with the extra power draw and cost.

Last edited:

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Will most of the motherboards need a BIOS update to run 13th gen? Or can we expect them to have the latest BIOS by the end of Nov?

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Will most of the motherboards need a BIOS update to run 13th gen? Or can we expect them to have the latest BIOS by the end of Nov?
If it's a 690 you should have a UEFI update applied before putting in a RPL CPU.

If it's a 790 then it should work out of the box.

nicalandia

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2019
I can't believe no one has mentioned that the 13600 non-x is not a True Raptor Lake, there is a Huge difference between the 13600 and 13600K, the K version gets the upgraded Raptor Cove cores(2MiB L2$ which is good for gaming), the 13600 use The Golden Cove cores(1.25MiB of L2$), The 13600K also have cores with faster ring bus and 4MiB of L2$, while the 13600 has e cores with OG gracemont cores with 2MiB of L2$ with lower ringbus.

1666794241767.png

Last edited:
Reactions: IEC

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
I tried putting together parts on PCPartPicker but wanted to go with ASROCK Z690 Phantom Gaming 4 but none of the Z690s are showing up int he filter. I'm guessing it's because they would need a BIOS update.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
I'm guessing it's because they would need a BIOS update.
That would be a correct assumption or PCP just paired the 790 with RPL to keep it simple. A good percentage of 690's work with a UEFI upgrade. Personally I went with the steel legend for ADL for the best mix of options.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
That would be a correct assumption or PCP just paired the 790 with RPL to keep it simple. A good percentage of 690's work with a UEFI upgrade. Personally I went with the steel legend for ADL for the best mix of options.
What options does SL have mover the Phantom? I'm going to have 2 M2 max and not upgrading anything other than maybe the GPU in 2 years.

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005

Agreed, "IF" the price difference is $20. There's been like a $200 price difference on Amazon between the 13900K and 13900KF for couple weeks now in November lmao, at once point the 13900KF was $550 and the 13900K was $765. At this price point might as well get a cheap GPU for troubleshooting and the KF.

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
Agreed, "IF" the price difference is $20. There's been like a $200 price difference on Amazon between the 13900K and 13900KF for couple weeks now in November lmao, at once point the 13900KF was $550 and the 13900K was $765. At this price point might as well get a cheap GPU for troubleshooting and the KF.
Yeah at that price difference find a Intel A380, get quicksync and AV1 encode/decode support, as a secondary card or something like that.