Picked up an Evoque - Updated

Insomniator

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
Update 5/22 - ~600 miles driven - warranty paying for:

Driver side headlight washer motor stuck.

Check engine light came on - Turbo needs to be replaced!

Off to a good start!

----------------

Wife needed a new car (10 year old corolla with 200k wasn't cuttin it) so we, for some reason, decided to get her dream car -- a white Range Rover -- maybe a real/full size white Range Rover will be next time.

2014 CPO with 25k miles and fully serviced (brakes, tires, 30k service, 3 year factory warranty) for 30 grand.

I think its a good deal and we love the car, but I just keep thinking I should have gotten a CX-5 for less money. I guess most people with stupid luxury cars could always say they should have gotten a toyota/mazda/honda, but those wouldn't have put a smile on our face every time we get in.

So if this thing can make it to ~75k miles without the transmission exploding in year 4, I'll be happy. I don't care about more expensive tires, brakes etc (we can afford the car plus my mini is a joke in this department all the same)... just worried about a classic Range Rover electrical system explosion making the car a giant paperweight 3 days after warranty expires.

18193060_10107943509729709_3201398713833056274_o.jpg

Anyone on here own one? I know they are probably the least reliable car on the road (next to my own Mini) but damn they look so much better than the competition like the X1 imo.

Last edited:

Pantoot

Golden Member
Jun 6, 2002
I have never been in one. Is the rear visibility nearly as bad as it looks like it would be?

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
It's a nice looking sled for sure. Congrats!

And I agree with you on the "stupid luxury car" comment. I own two of them but we can afford it and we bought ours CPO so they won't really cost us anything other than tires and oil changes for the next few years.

Definitely keep us updated on the long term reliability. I like the Range Rovers but probably wouldn't buy one simply because of the reliability unknown. Well, that and they're bloody expensive!

Insomniator

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
Visibility isnt terrible though the first thing i did was remove the center rear seat head rest which took up half the view. Its a fairly small car so its not hard to see with the side view mirrors and has a back up camera at least.

And yeah on the bloody expensive part. Hard to believe this was 50k new, guess people are afraid of them. I figure if we still love the car (and its held up OK) after 3 years, I'll pick up an aftermarket warranty for the next few. The aftermarket warranty that was transferred to me when I bought my used mini paid off ~$3k of work in the first year!

I'm just thinking... its a 2014 with only 25k miles thats only had the o2 sensor replaced according to carfax so its not an initial total lemon. The engine is a Ford Escape and the transmission is out of a Jeep. Its not like we are talking crazy exotic german engineering here. How bad could it be!!! Either way warranty will be golden.

Demo24

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2004
Nice! I've always liked them, but have been seeing less of them lately. Doesn't seem like range Rover is updating them quite like they should.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Visibility isnt terrible though the first thing i did was remove the center rear seat head rest which took up half the view. Its a fairly small car so its not hard to see with the side view mirrors and has a back up camera at least.

And yeah on the bloody expensive part. Hard to believe this was 50k new, guess people are afraid of them. I figure if we still love the car (and its held up OK) after 3 years, I'll pick up an aftermarket warranty for the next few. The aftermarket warranty that was transferred to me when I bought my used mini paid off ~$3k of work in the first year!

I'm just thinking... its a 2014 with only 25k miles thats only had the o2 sensor replaced according to carfax so its not an initial total lemon. The engine is a Ford Escape and the transmission is out of a Jeep. Its not like we are talking crazy exotic german engineering here. How bad could it be!!! Either way warranty will be golden.

Well... if you google "2014 jeep transmission" I'm sure you won't like what you see

But hey, as long as you keep a warranty you should be good.

tsupersonic

Nov 11, 2013
Surprise? They look nice, but I don't get why people buy these things. I mean the brand is just known for being unreliable!

Insomniator

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
I'll ask for the code(s) when I pick the car up tomorrow.

We still love the car, feels great every time we get into it. I personally don't mind trips to the dealer as long as I don't pay anything -- we get an interesting loaner and a car wash. Though the discovery they gave us feels pretty crappy compared to the evoque even though they are very similar overall -- I must be biased.

The main thing I'm worried about is it simply crapping out in the middle of the highway -- which I have heard of before. Honestly though, this kind of stuff seems to be happening with a lot of new cars these days... not just RR's.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Like the guy on jalopnik and his CarMax warranty on the range rover

Hah, I remember that guy! I had to look up his numbers so far:

$3900 for the Carmax warranty
Almost $7,000 paid out as of 2015

Amazing!