Picked up a S&W M&P Compact 9mm

Journer

Banned
Jun 30, 2005
looks cool. i wish i was a student. i've got a permit but you still cant take weapons near school, oh well :p my gun is way to damn big to carry anyways.

i was going to make another thread for this, but i guess i could just save space and ask in this one.

I've been thinking about adding a m1911 (.45acp) to my collection (lol 1 gun) and i was wondering if anyone recommends a specific brand. there is a gun show next weekend and i want to pick up a used one there. preferable under 400 bucks.

Imyourzero

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2002
Nice. I've used an M&P full size 9mm and it was great. I really considered buying an M&P .40 compact when Bud's Gun Shop had them for $439 + 2 free mags + free range bag, but the reports of mag drop problems made me hold off.

The newer ones should be OK -- congrats on a nice gun!

tfinch2

Lifer
Feb 3, 2004
Originally posted by: Journer
looks cool. i wish i was a student. i've got a permit but you still cant take weapons near school, oh well :p my gun is way to damn big to carry anyways.

i was going to make another thread for this, but i guess i could just save space and ask in this one.

I've been thinking about adding a m1911 (.45acp) to my collection (lol 1 gun) and i was wondering if anyone recommends a specific brand. there is a gun show next weekend and i want to pick up a used one there. preferable under 400 bucks.

I don't know if you're going to find a good 1911 for under $400 bucks.

I would look for a Springfield GI Mil-Spec for ~$500.

http://www.impactguns.com/store/706397866686.html

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
After reading that review it sounds like a nice weapon. I like the way the grip was moved a little forward in relation to the barrel. It looks like there are opportunities to get some of sharp corners rounded (melting) if you would want to do that in the future.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I am suprised Guns & Ammo gave it such a good review.
Many other places and lots of dealers I know say its crap.

Hopefully they are all incorrect.

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
Originally posted by: shortylickens

The local PD carries them now and swears by them.

I have shot one and it shot great for me. Only put about 24 rounds through it though.

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
Originally posted by: shortylickens

A couple of schools though apparently say they don't make it through their thousand round + courses very well though.

Otherwise, I hear nothing but good things from them, and mostly from the full-sized line with the mag drops and the occasional broken internal piece.

Not sure what state you're in, Orsorum, but do you have a waiting period? You did get in on the 50 rebate and 2 free mags, right?

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
Journer: I have a Springfield 1911A1 mil-spec, bought it from a Marine friend of mine for $500 even, and it is the most reliable firearm I've ever used. If I wore a uniform every day I would wear it without a doubt. As it stands, it's quite difficult to carry, even on my frame (I'm a pretty big guy), so I only plan on carrying if I'm hiking.

Kelvrick: I'm in WA, but I have a CCW so I didn't have to wait. I bought on January 31st and sent in my rebate form on February 1. :D Two free mags for the win!

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
I went shooting for the first time yesterday (I've shot rifles and shotguns a number of times, but never handguns), and now I'm debating whether or not I want to buy one, and if so, what. Hmm...tough call.

You don't find the grip a bit a little short for accuracy?

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
Originally posted by: jagec
I went shooting for the first time yesterday (I've shot rifles and shotguns a number of times, but never handguns), and now I'm debating whether or not I want to buy one, and if so, what. Hmm...tough call.

You don't find the grip a bit a little short for accuracy?

I'd say find a range that allows you to rent a variety of different types. I can say that I have fired several dozen different handguns of various calibers and it's only been recently that I really can decide what I like in terms of weight, grip, etc.

I found that I had a consistent group with the M&P Compact, better than with the full size. For me, I think the shorter grip actually induces me to hold it more firmly, for some reason.

I still want a S&W Model 19, but that will have to wait for a while... too many toys in too short a time.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Interesting. I guess they must have a better grip design, or it could well be that I just have sloppy technique.

I did get a chance to try a few different calibers and pistols. I went with a friend, and we started on a Glock 19 and some compact 9mm I don't remember. Both of us hated the compact...it felt like it was trying to jump out of your hands every time you fired. We traded it for another Glock 19 (one of the guys behind the desk's personal weapon, actually), which fired even better, and then tried out a .40 (S&W?) with a muzzle brake. Then I heard a catastrophic bang from a few spots over, and talked to the guy who had just brought in what I believe was a S&W 686 with .357 magnum rounds. He told me to fire off a few, and so I obliged. That was quite an experience compared to the smaller stuff I'd been shooting--put a big smile on my face. But I certainly wouldn't want to haul it around on my person all day long, or try to aim it in any self-defense situation.

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
Zenmervolt has a Model 19 that is a beauty, and quite enjoyable to shoot. I cannot imagine carrying it, but as a home defense piece I think it's just fine.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
My cousin is actually thinking about getting a G23C for concealed carry. Yeah, seems a little big to me. I might have to try other compacts if I go back out to the range and see if I can find something that works. I wonder if they have that S&W...

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Nice, I just got a hand me down S&W model 916 pump action shotgun today in beautiful condition. Old police gun, still has the trunk # on it.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Weak. Real men carry Deagles or Beagles.