Picked up a 1993 Mercedes-Benz 190E 2.6

tcG

Golden Member
Jul 31, 2006
I'm surprised more people don't know about old Mercs - pre-merger (1995) Mercedes Benz drive and feel like nothing else on the road, and IMO they are undervalued.

I'm fascinated by 'golden era' German automobiles, especially Mercedes, which seem to have been built and engineered to a higher standard than any other vehicle. The doors feel like a single piece of metal and close with a solid clunk. The switchgear feels like it will last for 100 years. Before Mercedes merged with Chrysler to cut costs, an "engineering first" design philosophy permeated their products. Small details like the side mirrors being asymmetrical because Mercedes engineers studied the ideal shape for the mirrors and found passenger side should be more square, the driver side more rectangular. The windshield wiper is a single blade, with an articulating hinge in the middle to cover maximum windshield era. The switches are hand-assembled with springs and contacts so they can be rebuilt when the contacts wear out, instead of thrown away and replaced. It's amazing Mercedes was building cars like this all the way through '95, and it's obvious why they had to cut costs. A standard trim E class from 1990 cost the equivalent of $100,000 today. Now you can pick one up in almost like-new condition if you're patient for $5000. The interior materials are high quality and do not wear out. The seats are sprung, not foam, and infinitely more comfortable than modern seats.

Cars before 1996 are relatively easy to work on. German-made parts are cheap and good quality thanks to a large aftermarket. The one caveat is that like all highly engineered German automobiles, they do require a bit more upkeep than the equivalent Lexus. An example is that the driveshaft which gives that nice vibration-free ride has 2 vibration dampers on it which eventually wear out and need to be replaced. A Japanese cars may have none or 1, which is one less thing that may break.

This one was purchased somewhat on a whim after finally getting tired of commuting in a loud, stiffly sprung sports car. Can't say enough good things about the baby Benz, trying to put the word out there in hopes that so many won't languish in classifieds and eventually be junked as way too many are! Everything about them, from the interior materials to the rust-proofing on the body were designed to maximize longevity, and they should be repaired, not thrown away.

I encourage anyone with the garage space and passion to learn a little car maintenance to browse for one. They are not sports cars, but in my opinion there is arguably no better luxury automobile.

Anyway, what y'all want to see!

Q6aEcjzAH1NOFGbKtphH6UxuF-p82TLVDkuqUVRoPM4.jpg

60e29651-16f1-40c2-bddb-2d92396a7d37
NYeAMqw.jpg

Reactions: gorb

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
merc didn't merge with chrysler until 1998. and what ze germans did was vampire all the money out of chrysler (to fix their merc's issues) and then dump its corpse on cerberus (who later dumped it on the taxpayers)

that one's pretty clean, though

tcG

Golden Member
Jul 31, 2006
Didn't know that about Chrysler! Interesting.

Ya it's pretty gangster.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
That looks really clean! I remember seeing those cars on the road but I haven't seen one in long time now. The only old Mercedes car I would consider are ones with diesel engines.

Dr. Detroit

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2004
Looks clean!

I know the 80's 190E 2.3 - Cosworth engine is a cult classic, unsure how the 2.6 compares.

tcG

Golden Member
Jul 31, 2006
The 2.3 16V Cosworth is definitely a cult classic.

The 2.6 inline 6 has the distinction of being the largest engine they put into the smallest chassis, but the car is by no means fast. In fact, there is nothing sporty about it at all. It cruises like a 70s Cadillac and glides serenely over bumps and road imperfections in almost silence. Unlike a 1970s Cadillac however, there are no creaks or rattles from the interior even after 126,000 miles and 25 years. It's a completely different experience from something like a period BMW. Most sold were automatics - the manuals are rubbery and vague and you get the feeling that Mercedes put them in only begrudgingly.

Last edited:

monkeydelmagico

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2011
Yep the german taxis are excellent. When I was stationed in Germany we would buy these hoopties as second cars or a car you ran around in before/after shipping your own car. I remember bombing down the autobahn in a diesel version thinking no tractor has any right going this fast.

YuliApp

Dec 27, 2017
desirehive.com
oh yea! have fun, recently got similar one my self in red gold, love the machine.
i liked BMWs from 80ties but somehow from then took daimler over.

tcG

Golden Member
Jul 31, 2006
I brought it to the local Cars & Coffee this Saturday and it received a fair amount of positive comments. Mostly from men over the age of 60, but that's okay.

When I first pulled up a boy, 8 or so, pointed and said to his dad "Look at that Mercedes! I like that car the most..." or something to that effect. Smart kid! Made my morning that of all people, an 8 year old would be impressed by an old Mercedes.

Also you are invisible to cops in this car.

Reactions: Harrod

drnickriviera

Platinum Member
Jan 30, 2001
Nice looking car. Always did like the 190's, but been there, done that. No more. I didn't think the W124 was very easy to work on. Stupid 'biodegradable' wiring harness on the 95' e300d we had. Known evap core issues which is a huge pita to replace. Leaking hvac vacuum pods. Also had an 87' diesel, think those had cylinder head design flaws causing them to crack.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
I loved the '95 AMG C36 I had, but lots of stuff was run by vacuum, meaning there were small plastic tubes going all throughout the car. Can you imagine what happens when you get a small leak in one of those many plastic pipes? Yeah, not fun to even try to diagnose. Mine was leaking so the secondary vacuum pump in the trunk was on constantly, meaning it died pretty quickly, and cost $1200 to replace. Besides that major issue, I loved it.

Does the 190E also use vacuum to open locks, windows, etc?

tcG

Golden Member
Jul 31, 2006
My 190E indeed has the vacuum powered locks and HVAC system. Both of which are awesome (silent, smooth) when they are functioning correctly. The climate control in particular had to have been the height of luxury in 1993 (although Mercedes had climate control at least as far back as the late 70s, maybe earlier). It's nice to just hit a button and never have to touch it again.

The 190E Evo II pictured above is not an aftermarket modification - that's how they came from the factory. Final form of the 2.5 16v Cosworth, expensive when new, expensive now.

Reactions: YuliApp

Insomniator

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
190E's can look ****ing amazing (like the black one above) -- I don't know the technical details/reasons but based on looks alone they should have been as popular and sought after as M3's of that era. There was a short period where a 190E cosworth was my #1 desired car but I soon realized they basically don't exist.

YuliApp

Dec 27, 2017
desirehive.com
i dont know i always liked them, but that is because i come from Stuttgart so am biased.
Here it is still a very common car, one of few you see of that age. Many people hold on them.
Everytime i go with mine in anywhere near car fanatics, they ask if i want to sell it.

Though most people i know, preferred the looks of BMW from the era.