pic of my pricey betta after a water change

Naer

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2013
gonna surround myself with animals. gonna make my inside look more like the outside

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
Looks lonely...

You need to give him another male friend to hang out with. :sneaky:

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
Your pricey "betta"? Now I can officially say, "I've seen betta!" :p

kt

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2000
Looks lonely...

Used to have two bettas in a fish tank. Of course, there was a glass divider in the middle to separate the two.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Some used to go for more than others, the common ones are pretty low.

Used to breed them a bit in the past myself. can be a bit tricky but interesting. You have to pay attention to what they are up to a bit.

Easy to maintain, don't even really need filters, etc, but better if you do have a small one.

Just a partial water change once a week or so and they do fine without one.

Last edited:

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
cool looking fish. i personally just can't get excited for fresh water aquariums for the most part just because the colors just aren't there compared to salt water fish.

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Looks lonely...

na, he needs several females

and pricey? by who's standards? I've bought marine that cost more than your average betta.
I had one of these but they're hard to keep alive

Mandarinfish-Pictures.jpg

Last edited:

Blue_Max

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2011
Pricey? Aren't those things like $3 at any pet shop?

The cheapies are, but there are 'fancies' that can go into the $20's and $50's.

They love them' bloodworms! Mmm-mmm mosquito larvae. ;)

My lil' $5 fishy is much happier and larger since being moved to a heated tank much larger than this pic. (Heh... $50 tank for a $5 fish!) :D

Mister_B.jpg

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
There are some exceptions, such as discus.

because nobody wants the gold master fish.

I used to have a really nice Discus tank with 4 large adults, they can be touchy to maintain.

Killifish are very colorful and can be maintained separately in small tanks, but that is a niche hobby in itself. I used to have a few, I knew one guy had at least 20 2.5 gallon tanks set up in a bank and had several varieties that there were people would mail eggs back and forth to each other to trade.

Probably even more common these days, that was pre WWW in the mid 80's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killifish

Usually just takes keeping the water conditions right, but that is a big part of discus also of course.

Used to have a few different species of bivittatums and a few others, they are pretty cool.

Aphyosemion-bivittatum-funge.jpg
14246166484_0c5f5dee53_z.jpg

Last edited:

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
As a kid I had a betta very similar to the OP's. Lasted almost exactly a year, we fed it small worms on occasion and one day we found it floating with half of one still in its mouth. Don't know if it choked on it or if it was just its time. RIP, whateverthehellyournamewas.