Physx Pack 2!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
ok, downloaded it... went through it... my impressions

Crazy machines 2: It is actually the crazy machines 2 demo... and it crashes every time it starts, the video card does NOT crash, the system is rock solid, the game itself crashes.

Kenneth's demos. Unimpressive. Water flowing through a pipe and a cube with stuff. Its really underwhelming.

Nvidia physX screensaver: now that suprised me. It is by far the awesomest physX demo ever, its awesome. I wouldn't use it for a screen saver of course, but i played with it for a quarter of an hour.
This is great at showing the potential of physX... although, it is severely limited by ram right now (a lot of times objects will disappear on screen due to vram running out.. on my GTX 260 which has... was it 864MB? some weird number. made me imagine the fun of a potentially physX accelerated http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katamari_Damacy
In a construction zone!

All those demos are showing some real issues with physX, if I rotated the basic fluids demo, at a certain angle the water would just vanish halfway through the tube.
There are far too many "materials" available for use.
Cloth clips over itself horribly, and metal sheets don't work right at all, i mean, it looks behaves and reacts to impacts completely and utterly wrong. (such as, the ball going on top, and it getting "punched" in after it passed, and looking completely wrong).

That being said. It obviously has a lot of potential. It was really awesome seeing the ball plaugh through a huge pile of bricks or wood and seeing them flying into other object / silk clothe and tear through them :)

nRollo

Banned
Jan 11, 2002
Originally posted by: FalseChristian
Warmonger is the best game since Daikatana.:)

LOL- that good, huh?

Heh- I'm not saying it's HL2 good, but it is fun to just run around blasting guys and getting blasted. This game lets you blow away cover to get at guys.

And it's free.

If you like any of the UT games, you should like Warmonger.

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
thats like saying that if you love getting it on with <insert celebrity of choice> then you would LOVE getting it on with joe the trannie. The UT games are the best shooters EVER MADE. (well UT gold and UT3... we don't speak about the ones in the middle... they don't exist!)

Anyways, physX as a technology is awesome. nVidia should and COULD have made a much better push for it. sponsoring the right companies would have gone a very very long way.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Originally posted by: nRollo

LOL- that good, huh?

Heh- I'm not saying it's HL2 good, but it is fun to just run around blasting guys and getting blasted. This game lets you blow away cover to get at guys.

And it's free.

Theres a reason for that. How much do you think they could have sold it for?

Spike

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2001
Originally posted by: Spike

I've paid money for much worse games than Warmonger, and it's free. Can't beat that!

Guess that just means you have bad taste in games ;)

Nah, sometimes they just don't turn out they way you hoped and I like UT3 type games. Sometimes it's fun to just run around shooting guys. :)

Wait... there are other types of games apart from this!?!?!?!?

nRollo

Banned
Jan 11, 2002

I've paid money for much worse games than Warmonger, and it's free. Can't beat that!

Guess that just means you have bad taste in games ;)

Nah, sometimes they just don't turn out they way you hoped and I like UT3 type games. Sometimes it's fun to just run around shooting guys. :)

Wait... there are other types of games apart from this!?!?!?!?

I've heard there are....but never seen one......

;)

nRollo

Banned
Jan 11, 2002
Originally posted by: WelshBloke

LOL- that good, huh?

And it's free.

Theres a reason for that. How much do you think they could have sold it for?

Probably a $9.99-$19.99 bargain bin shooter like Serious Sam 1 ended up soon after release.

Not a $50 title, I agree.