photo gurus: best settings to convert digital pictures to put online?

LordSnailz

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
My pictures without any editing or resizing looks good, nice and sharp, but I went and resized to a smaller size and reduced the dpi to 72, the picture coming out are really grainy.

What settings should I shoot for when putting a tons of picture online ... I don't want to load the original since it'll take forever to load and take up a lot of space.

Thanks in adv!

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
No need to touch the DPI, that's probably the problem.

For my family website I tend to resize my DSLR pics to 800 pixels the long way (maintaining aspect of course) and set to 80%-85%...or-so jpeg quality for compression. That should give you reasonable file sizes, with big enough pictures for effect...

Even smaller sizes (600 pixels) are usually plenty adequate, if you're just displaying them online.

Eos

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2000
I think I misunderstood the question. :eek:

I thought the OP was asking what program to use to batch convert from full size to published size.

My horizontal images are reduced to 1200w x 900h and the verts are reduced to 1200h x 900w.

Seems to work pretty well. I found a batch program that converts well, but only about 90% of the images. Major PITA having to go back and hand resize the remaining 10%.

LordSnailz

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
I think goober got the question, I'm not sure what to resize my pictures to or to what DPI in order to keep the quality there yet have quick loading and low diskspace.
Currently, I'm using infranview and it working pretty well so far.

I thought the higher the DPI the bigger the file? Also, is reducing my images to 640 in the horizontal length hurting my pictures?

thanks again.

Pikachu

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
Just downloaded and installed Irfan View 3.98. Resized a 2560 x 1920, 1.2MB, 72DPI file to 1024x768 using default Lanczos resample filter, and leaving default 72DPI selected. From there, I saved it as a jpg, with 67% compression. That created a very viewable 100KB file. If you want it better than that, just bump the jpg compression up to higher quality.

Eos

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2000
For printing.

When I used to print from digital, I changed the DPI while letting the pixels change. I can't recall which boxes I checked or unchecked. Try a couple variations. Change the size of the image to 8x10 or whatever and if the dpi goes above about 200, you can get a good print. IIRC, anyway.

This was in Photoshop 6, so, um yeah. >_>

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
Originally posted by: eos
For printing.

When I used to print from digital, I changed the DPI while letting the pixels change. I can't recall which boxes I checked or unchecked. Try a couple variations. Change the size of the image to 8x10 or whatever and if the dpi goes above about 200, you can get a good print. IIRC, anyway.

This was in Photoshop 6, so, um yeah. >_>

An 8"x10" at 200 px/in is 1600x2000 pixels and ~10MB.

Versus an 8"x10" at 72 px/in is 576x720 pixels and ~1.4MB.

DPI/PPI is the definitive resolution of an image, regardless of what proportions you choose. So if the OP was reducing the DPI below displayable quality, for the resolution he was choosing, that's why he was getting grainyness.

Here's a good explanation of DPI from DeviantArt (which requires at least 100 dpi to sell art via their print service).:

http://help.deviantart.com/152/