Phone interview tips?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zixxer

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2001
Arg.... he called at 10am and said he was slammed, and could I call him back at 1

I called at 1 and he was still at lunch, said to call in 25-30

I called at 1:30 and no answer.. I left a msg saying I'm free for the remainder of the day and to call me back at his convenience.. will update later

Eos

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2000
I once did a phone interview using a cell phone while driving a semi truck.

Got the job...

JDMnAR1

Lifer
May 12, 2003
Originally posted by: zixxer
So how persistent should I be? Call back?

Not today, no - at least I wouldn't. At this point, the ball is in his court. There is a fine line between persistence and pushiness, and another call today would put you across the line, IMO. If you haven't heard from him by the end of the day, a follow-up on Monday would be appropriate.

Feb 19, 2001
Pretend it's a REAL interview. You sit at your desk with a glass of water. Have your resume out and a pen. You do not need google. If you're googling answers, you're probably gonna fail the real interview then.

I go with a headset usually when I do phone interviews.

Sit up straight and imagine a live interview.

Oct 20, 2005
1. Keep some water near by in case you get dry mouth from talking. My mouth gets unusually dry when I'm talking and nervous.

2. If you're on a cell phone, make sure you have plenty of juice.

3. Use a hands free kit if you can so that you can write stuff down that you need or look up information

4. Keep all necessary documents near you (resume/technical documents maybe/blank paper/etc)

5. Close all the doors where you are and make sure you are in an abosolute quiet place.

6. Make sure you have a strong phone signal/connection and make sure you can both hear each other loud and clear.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: DLeRium
Pretend it's a REAL interview. You sit at your desk with a glass of water. Have your resume out and a pen. You do not need google. If you're googling answers, you're probably gonna fail the real interview then.

I go with a headset usually when I do phone interviews.

Sit up straight and imagine a live interview.

most interviewers know when one is googling.

In all seriousness too, don't play the cell disconnect game either in many interviews. If you are being relied on for connectivity showing you cannot stay on a single call for a few minutes got you booted already.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Originally posted by: Scribe
I wish our company was an Exchange shop. I hate Lotus Notes. It's like using software from 1985.

The new Notes mail templates are pretty good. The app itself is still slow as hell to load, though!

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
Just try not to "Umm" and "uhh" a lot while on the phone.

I think when people use filler like that over the phone, its much more obvious/annoying.

Pshawn5

Aug 8, 2001
Originally posted by: ultimatebob
Originally posted by: Scribe
I wish our company was an Exchange shop. I hate Lotus Notes. It's like using software from 1985.

The new Notes mail templates are pretty good. The app itself is still slow as hell to load, though!

i dread opening up lotus at work sometimes because of how slow it loads.