Philippines' Duterte, in China, announces 'separation' from US

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
This is dumb for the new PH leader. Wait until bully china swallows the rest of the islands/islets and then it will be too late.

No it won't be too late. That's the beauty of the plan, you get to play both sides. China wants influence and looks generous now, so take the money. If things change the Philippines can come running back to the USA screaming "protect us! protect us" and we will.

It's not the end of the world for the USA either. The Philippines isn't all that important to Pacific strategy now, so let China pay to be their friends. If/when things change and they want to cozy up to us again we'll be able to strike a much better bargain as we'll have more leverage then than we do now.

Reactions: HamburgerBoy

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
It's like a preview of a Trump presidency.

How about you wake up to the current reality where world leaders laugh at our president
FGrWeoZ.jpg

http://www.thepoliticalinsider.com/obama-china-humiliated/
And I don't blame them.

Hillary? A backstabbing liar? I'd be surprised if they talked to her at all.

Last edited:

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
How about you wake up to the current reality where world leaders laugh at our president
FGrWeoZ.jpg

And I don't blame them.

Hillary? A backstabbing liar? I'd be surprised if they talked to her at all.

LOL just have to find a way to deflect don't you? You're so sad, so sad.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
A more insightful take on the topic, because if you think the democrats haven't alienated much of the world, even more so with the leaked revelations, you have your head in the sand.

DrDoug

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2014
A more insightful take on the topic, because if you think the democrats haven't alienated much of the world, even more so with the leaked revelations, you have your head in the sand.

You already posted this irrelevant shit in another thread, now you're spamming, parrot (or is it pigeon?)...

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
You must be kidding. America was the primary catalyst for China's rise. It is now the world's greatest manufacturer and every year the gap between it and the rest of the world increases. Having ships there does not change this underlying truth. America WILL lose influence over there, that is a matter of physical reality and having ships over there won't do a damn thing to slow or stop it in any way.

SO TRUE, Americans have been brainwashed to compartmentalize different issues so they can fit in their nice safe space boxes not realizing how many of those actual issues influence and affect what they want to believe are not related

The Chinese used the perverted "Profit only Matters". mentality that so many (that both liberal and conservative executives subscribe to as gospel) to build up their country while we destroy ours for the benefit of the one percent,

and thanks to corporate greed that blinded otherwise intelligent people to the fact that China played them using their own greed against them to move the technology and know how to their country willingly,
in exchange for letting them exploit workers that had none of the American labor, safety, and environmental regulations that these same executives told their short sighted shareholders were getting in the way of profits while indirectly helping build up the Chinese military.

http://qz.com/771727/chinas-factori...ime-for-the-rest-of-the-world-to-get-over-it/
Your brilliant Kickstarter idea could be on sale in China before you’ve even finished funding it

Jack Ma, founder of Alibaba, drew criticism when he told investors in June (paywall) that fake goods “are of better quality and of better price than the real names” and come from “exactly the same factories” as authentic goods. But there’s some truth to his comments.

Gee Wiz, how did this happen, don't tell me those greedy overpaid CEO's didn't see this coming

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
I've seen this response twice now. When it came to the mass rape in Vietnam, ol' Magnus said the same thing. Quoted the hundred odd veterans that testified to it, and he just ghosted. Same thing that happened with Piasabird and the shit the Native Americans go through.

I dunno, I guess it's just some sort of huff-come-defense tactic.

Anywho, let's begin!

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/nation/2012/02/116_105839.html

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-agents-military-idUSBRE83S09620120429

A fairly decent first hand report from one of the sex trafficking victims: http://www.equalitynow.org/campaigns/trafficking-survivor-stories/alma

'Nother good article: http://www.politico.eu/article/my-body-was-not-mine-but-the-u-s-militarys/

I think the refusal to even look at the problem, stems from the soldier worship you guys have in the US. The soldiers are oft. portrayed as victims who were sucked into the war machine, who do no wrong and are morally upstanding heroes who fight for America's freedom.

It ain't anywhere close to that, but the telly will tell you otherwise.

Do you not know the difference between Prostitution and Rape?

Not saying that rape never happens, but it isn't the bullshit you are spreading.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

You really are one dumb motherfucker, aren't you?

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
You do know how WWII started right? Remember how people said Hitler and Nazi Germany would just do this and that (bullying smaller neighbors and nothing else) and Imperial Japan would just leave the US alone after they took over weaker neighbors. We all know how things turned out.

And guess what after bully china takes over the whole SCS? It take on Japan ( Senkaku islands) and by treaty, the US will have to get involve.

Linky - http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-pacific-11341139
I doubt that the US gets involved when China begins taking Japanese possessions. China is ascending, America is descending. More importantly, I doubt that the respective nations will let it get that far along. The USA cannot (or more accurately, will not) even defend its own sovereign territory against Mexican drug gangs, preferring to simply mark areas off-limits to Americans. I don't see any sane nation risking its existence on the chance of the USA coming thousands of miles and taking on Red China. It isn't a question of having the might - we do - it's having the will. We do not.

The likely lone exception will be Vietnam, but they won't be relying on the USA.

My point is the US can use indonesian water ways if necessary. Why do you guys just not get this? I never said we could walk to vietnam. Sheesh.
We probably could use Indonesian bases today, but likely not in a decade or two. Both China and Russia are courting Indonesia, and both are willing to overlook whatever repression might be required as Indonesia becomes a more orthodox Islamic nation.

It has got to be a tempest in a teapot stirred by the new leader. A link from Wikipedia:

ART-20161018105149_prm.jpg

http://www.sws.org.ph/swsmain/artcldisppage/?artcsyscode=ART-20161018105149

In other words, Filipinos like America. China is negative as it is and on its way further down.
Doesn't matter who Filipinos like. It matters who they trust to do what they say. They trust China to be a bully and follow through on its threats. Will they trust America to be a protector? Their behavior over the last couple decades suggests they do not. It's one thing to like America and to want American tourists and the American export market, but if the choice is between being a Chinese vassal state and being a Chinese target of takeover dependent on the USA to protect them, they'll separate their foreign policy from us and fight for whatever sovereignty they can wrest from China without chancing a war.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Do you not know the difference between Prostitution and Rape?

Not saying that rape never happens, but it isn't the bullshit you are spreading.
He's still working on the difference between his ass and a hole in the ground. The difference between prostitution and rape is waaaay in the future.

Reactions: pcgeek11

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
No, it is the continuing legacy of international failures by the Obama administration. It brings the end of the US dominance in the Pacific closer to its enviable end.

And you would be wrong. Duarte is the issue here not Obama. But for the sake of argument what SPECIFIC actions would you like Obama to take to have prevented this from happening?

Last edited:

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
I'm glad Duarte acting like this now. I think he's an example of what having a leader that "tells it like it is" would be like. Reminds me of someone.... who could that be.

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
Being the dominant naval and air power in the world confers certain advantages that helps to maintain our interests, to realize these advantages you have to sail. Allowing China's unchallenged ascent to total regional dominance in Asia is not in our interest or that of our political/military/economic allies in the region.

What do you think the end game of total regional dominance would be? China exists right now because they trade, particularly so with us. What advantage would there be in blockading the entire sea and cutting us off?

Latest news, look at how commie china is behaving toward S. Korea - http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/op...iled-south-korea-embrace-161019091000159.html

And S. Korea is A LOT stronger (military power) than PH. Good luck to the new PH leader if he thinks china will treat him well.

A submerged rock in international waters apparently originally discovered by the British in the first place, yeah, that's really worth making a big deal over.

No it won't be too late. That's the beauty of the plan, you get to play both sides. China wants influence and looks generous now, so take the money. If things change the Philippines can come running back to the USA screaming "protect us! protect us" and we will.

It's not the end of the world for the USA either. The Philippines isn't all that important to Pacific strategy now, so let China pay to be their friends. If/when things change and they want to cozy up to us again we'll be able to strike a much better bargain as we'll have more leverage then than we do now.

lol, this.

TheGardener

Golden Member
Jul 19, 2014
And you would be wrong. Duarte is the issue here not Obama. But for the sake of argument what SPECIFIC actions would like Obama to take to have prevented this from happening?

How about diplomacy? How about not drawing lines in the sand that Obama can't back up? Pushing the Philippines closer to China helps whom? It's just another large mistake of international relations on top of his litany of major failures. Just help me understand what international accomplishments Obama has achieved? Even Clinton correctly sized up Obama up in 2008, on how he said he would deal with Iran. I'll bet even she was floored with the latest financial and nuclear deal, though she would never actually say it.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
How about diplomacy? How about not drawing lines in the sand that Obama can't back up? Pushing the Philippines closer to China helps whom? It's just another large mistake of international relations on top of his litany of major failures. Just help me understand what international accomplishments Obama has achieved? Even Clinton correctly sized up Obama up in 2008, on how he said he would deal with Iran. I'll bet even she was floored with the latest financial and nuclear deal, though she would never actually say it.

How did Obama push the Philippines closer to China? Try to limit your answer to the Philippines and it's president's desire to buddy up to China instead of ranting about Syria and Iran.

Keep in mind the US has been aggressively pushing freedom of navigation patrols and pushing back on China's claims in the South China Sea which until Durate was elected was in line with the position of the government of the Philippines as well.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
What do you think the end game of total regional dominance would be? China exists right now because they trade, particularly so with us. What advantage would there be in blockading the entire sea and cutting us off?

Their regional neighbors, several of whom are our allies, depend on access to the SCS shipping lanes and increasingly the resources that exist there. Control of the SCS amounts to considerable strategic and economic leverage. Obviously the end game is to force their neighbors into a closer economic and political orbit with China thereby increasing their own power both regionally and globally.

baydude

Sep 13, 2011
Duerte's response to US canceling over $400m in aid money to Philippines.

Calls US hypocrites

Jul 9, 2009
You do know how WWII started right? Remember how people said Hitler and Nazi Germany would just do this and that (bullying smaller neighbors and nothing else) and Imperial Japan would just leave the US alone after they took over weaker neighbors. We all know how things turned out.

And guess what after bully china takes over the whole SCS? It take on Japan ( Senkaku islands) and by treaty, the US will have to get involve.

Linky - http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-pacific-11341139
No they don't know, they're idiots.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
just wait until Trump goes to visit the Phillipines and comes back and buys a motorcycle.

Actually NM, Trump is too lazy and worried about his businesses to visit too many foreign countries. He is just gonna lay back and chill.

Jul 9, 2009
just wait until Trump goes to visit the Phillipines and comes back and buys a motorcycle.

Actually NM, Trump is too lazy and worried about his businesses to visit too many foreign countries. He is just gonna lay back and chill.
Laying in the backprint of Obama?

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Trump has already shown laziness in regards to getting briefings. It was also widely reported he offered the VP position with the promise it would bring new forms of power.

Obama has been an exemplary president by any measuring stick. You could only wish you had someone as good as him in the office right now