Phi Eta Sigma - worth it?

KnickNut3

Platinum Member
Oct 1, 2001
Hello. I'm a college freshman and have been offered a place in Phi Eta Sigma, an honor society. Apparently I'm eligible because of my >3.5 GPA. It'll cost me $40 to join (only fee ever), and I pretty much don't have to do anything--it goes on my transcript and I can optionally participate in some things.

Is this actually an honor? Or is it like buying your way into a "Who's Who" book? Thanks for the insight.

Lager

Diamond Member
May 19, 2003
What school? Is it like animal house where you and the other frats feud for superiority?

KnickNut3

Platinum Member
Oct 1, 2001
I don't think I'm clear enough. This isn't really a fraternity. It's an honor society. I'm not sure how much they actually do together, but it's definitely optional, and I'm sure many people just do it for the name (the impression I get from this)

I actually am pledging a fraternity (I'm at Duke), and this is separate.

Lager

Diamond Member
May 19, 2003
Originally posted by: KnickNut3
I don't think I'm clear enough. This isn't really a fraternity. It's an honor society. I'm not sure how much they actually do together, but it's definitely optional, and I'm sure many people just do it for the name (the impression I get from this)

Duke? Doesn't that mean the entire school population is in honor roll?

Anyway, you should join. Do activities, have fun if you are antisocial or something and want to fit in. Sure beats wasting away your life at ATOT.

bradruth

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
I've recieved invitations to the National Collegiate Honor Society two years in a row now. $60 membership. It's a bunch of BS that's used to pad a resume. Any self-respecting employer would see through it.

ArmenK

Golden Member
Oct 16, 2000
Hello. I'm a college freshman and have been offered a place in Phi Eta Sigma, an honor society. Apparently I'm eligible because of my >3.5 GPA. It'll cost me $40 to join (only fee ever), and I pretty much don't have to do anything--it goes on my transcript and I can optionally participate in some things.

Is this actually an honor? Or is it like buying your way into a "Who's Who" book? Thanks for the insight.

If you have to pay for it, they are not really honoring you.

KnickNut3

Platinum Member
Oct 1, 2001
Originally posted by: Lager

Duke? Doesn't that mean the entire school population is in honor roll?

Anyway, you should join. Do activities, have fun if you are antisocial or something and want to fit in. Sure beats wasting away your life at ATOT.

It's not a very socially-oriented group, I don't think. Oh, and I do about 25 hours of organized social activities a week between sports, performing, and volunteer groups, so I don't being antisocial is a worry ;)

Originally posted by: bradruth
I've recieved invitations to the National Collegiate Honor Society two years in a row now. $60 membership. It's a bunch of BS that's used to pad a resume. Any self-respecting employer would see through it.

That's what I'm trying to consider. Are any of these legit? I mean, $40 dues (which includes a "banquet") isn't too much of a price to pay if someone thinks it's something... are these things actually worthwhile?

Oh, Lager--I think you're confusing Duke with Harvard. ;) Only about 30% of students are above 3.4 or so, IIRC, and I work my ass off to get the grades I do here. I know you're kidding, but I wouldn't say there's much grade inflation here. Most are curved to a B-/C+ regardless of class performance.

TuxDave

Lifer
Oct 8, 2002
Phi Eta Sigma was the first honor society that I joined just to have something on the resume. Then came Tau Beta Pi, Eta Kappa Nu. At that point when the Golden Key Honor Society asked me to join if I paid X dollars, I finally said I had enough societies.

grrl

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2001
Originally posted by: bradruth

sandmanwake

Golden Member
Feb 29, 2000
Being a member on some honors society will get you discounts on auto insurance. For instance, I'm getting 10% off my car insurance which after the first year more than pays for the one time membership fee.

Also, if you're ever going to work for some branch of the government, I've run into instances where they'll start you off at one pay grade higher out of college because you're in xxx engineering honors society.

Do your research as to what honor society can get you what type of perks though as most honors societies are just a waste of time for most people.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
I'm also a college freshmen and I did it. It's 40 bucks and some fluff you can throw on your resume for work/grad school. Nothing involved other than paying the money .. no biggie, and since it doesn't interfere with any other "fraternities" (I'm also a part of Alpha Epsilon Delta .. the Premed Honors Society) you may as well.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
Who says you actually have to pay to use it on your resume? It's not like employers scout the honor society roll books in search of your name.

I personally think it's a waste of cash although I did join a couple of them myself. Maybe I'm just annoyed at all of the junk mail I get thanks to the honor society 'business partners'.

I'm in Beta Theta Pi as well.