Phenom II X4 stock HSF- How noisy?

Rand

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Anyone know how noisy the stock HSF on the X4 Phenom II's are?

Ordered a 965 yesterday, and uncertain whether I should bother with an aftermarket solution.
Trying to avoid throwing any more money into this system then I have to as it's an AM2/DDR2 system, basically a dead end upgrade wise so the Phenom's merely a stop gap before a major overhaul sometime in the future, likely on the Intel side of things.

Should note I'm not planning on overclocking it at all, so cooling ability is irrelevant. Planning to see how low I can drop the VCore and maintains stability at stock speeds.
Only consideration is noise.

Visually it looks very similar to the coolers used on the older DualCore S939 Opteron's, uncertain whether it's the same unit though. If it is then I'm fine with it, as they were adequate enough.

Pederv

Golden Member
May 13, 2000
With cool-n-quiet enabled I can barely hear the CPU fan, during normal usage.

When I throw Prime95 at it, the CPU fan gets pretty loud.
The CPU temps get up to 58C in a 20C room.

I should be able to max it out until summer comes, without worrying about it getting too hot.

I have a 140W version.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Any good 120mm fan aftermarket cooler will be quieter. For the most part the bigger the fan the quieter it is as it needs to spin alot alower to move the same amount of air. My Xigmatech 1283 is alot quieter than the stock HSF was on my 940BE. Spend the $20.

ramj70

Aug 24, 2004
The stock HSF for my 945 gets pretty loud when playing games. I think 95W 945's came with a smaller HSF fan though, but it is loud. I'm going to replace with something else

Bigun08

Nov 14, 2008
with what you are planning you can leave it cool and quiet and since you are going to drop the voltage as low as it will be stable.. you may never hear it.. these next gen AMD chips run really cool.. if noise is a concern.. you could definitely get an inexpensive passive air cooled cooler and it would work great.. I have a 550, 940 and 955 and overclock the mess out of them and they are all very cool running chips if my 55 ever gets above the 30s c i wouldn't know about it.. its a great ride.. good luck