Phenom II Black Edition, Cool n Quiet and Overclocking

Spoelie

Oct 8, 2005
I was wondering how the multipliers behave when enabling Cool n Quiet on a overclocked PII. Cool n Quiet isn't a feature I'm willing to give up on, and now that it's been "fixed" there are a few lingering questions:

*Is it possible to change the maximum multiplier on a black edition PII and still leave cool 'n quiet enabled?
->If so, does this mean all the other P-states stay the same and only the maximum P-state has a larger multiplier, or do all the P-states change? Same with voltage, if you change cpu voltage, what effects has this on the other P-states?
->If not, then changing the base clock is the only way to do some uncore and core overclocking and still leave CnQ enabled? Which makes a black edition kinda pointless.

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
Originally posted by: Spoelie
I was wondering how the multipliers behave when enabling Cool n Quiet on a overclocked PII. Cool n Quiet isn't a feature I'm willing to give up on, and now that it's been "fixed" there are a few lingering questions:

*Is it possible to change the maximum multiplier on a black edition PII and still leave cool 'n quiet enabled?
->If so, does this mean all the other P-states stay the same and only the maximum P-state has a larger multiplier, or do all the P-states change? Same with voltage, if you change cpu voltage, what effects has this on the other P-states?
->If not, then changing the base clock is the only way to do some uncore and core overclocking and still leave CnQ enabled? Which makes a black edition kinda pointless.

I will guess ...

Yes

If so, does this mean all the other P-states stay the same and only the maximum P-state has a larger multiplier, or do all the P-states change? Same with voltage, if you change cpu voltage, what effects has this on the other P-states?
No. I would assume the p-states are variable.

If not, then changing the base clock is the only way to do some uncore and core overclocking and still leave CnQ enabled? Which makes a black edition kinda pointless.
[/quote]
No. I would assume all power management options are available (though some will most certainly behave better than others in an OC senario).

I don't own a Phenom II so this is all conjecture. I'm pretty much basing my assumptions on previous chip power management, and experience with tools such as CnQ, PowerNow and CrystalCPU (which allows independent clock states, multipliers and voltages).

DrBombcrater

Nov 16, 2007
In my experience, no, any change of the PhII's clock multiplier disables CnQ. Not sure if that's a general rule or a quirk of the Gigabyte motherboard I'm using.

Dec 30, 2004
Originally posted by: DrBombcrater
In my experience, no, any change of the PhII's clock multiplier disables CnQ. Not sure if that's a general rule or a quirk of the Gigabyte motherboard I'm using.

RMClock allows control of the CPU multiplier and voltage.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Originally posted by: DrBombcrater

Depends on the motherboard. It worked fine just increasing the multiplier with my 9850 in an Asus M3A78-T but doesn't work in my Gigabyte 790GP-DS4H (I like the Gigabyte though...easier to overclock (although I had to RMA because the BIOS got corrupted and the backup didn't kick in) and at lower voltages than the Asus board but the layout sucks...oh and better cooling on the NB and VRMs).

I wish CnQ worked fine but I'm at 3GHz at only 1.35v so that's low enough voltage for me to not worry about it too much.

DrBombcrater

Nov 16, 2007
Originally posted by: soccerballtux
RMClock allows control of the CPU multiplier and voltage.
RMClock doesn't work with the Phenom II. I'm not sure it even supports the original Phenom.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Actually with the Asus M3A78-T m/b and 9850 BE I had, each core was being clocked independently depending on the load, which you could set in the power options.

EDIT: From the XS thread linked above, if CnQ doesn't work this program may be an option:
http://www.geocities.com/k10stat/

EDIT: Wow that K10Stat program is useful. I got my 9850BE idling at 1000MHz at 0.9v right now.

Dec 30, 2004
Originally posted by: thilan29
Actually with the Asus M3A78-T m/b and 9850 BE I had, each core was being clocked independently depending on the load, which you could set in the power options.

EDIT: From the XS thread linked above, if CnQ doesn't work this program may be an option:
http://www.geocities.com/k10stat/

EDIT: Wow that K10Stat program is useful. I got my 9850BE idling at 1000MHz at 0.9v right now.

Wow, cool! No more bummer!

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Originally posted by: soccerballtux
Wow, cool! No more bummer!

And no crashes or anything while switching between profiles..and this is in Windows 7. :)

Annoying thing is that I can't get ATI Tray tools to load the shortcut (during gaming) that automatically loads the high power or lower power profile...it will only load the program...oh well, it's better than nothing even though I have to do it manually.