Phenom II 960T @ 4 Ghz - Performance

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cristispot

Nov 11, 2013
set the CPU-NB back to 2ghz and increase the core frequency. At that voltage you should have no trouble hitting 4ghz. I am at 4.3ghz cores on my 965 x4 at 1.475v. I thought I couldn't get past 4ghz but it was actually the CPU-NB holding me back.

I run my CPU-NB at +0.2v so 1.3v and 2.6ghz.

Pushing the cores faster takes more CPU-NB voltage if the CPU-NB is overclocked at all.

well i based my asumption of nb frequency on this :
http://www.overclockers.com/the-importance-of-northbridge-overclocking-with-the-phenom-ii/

i had no problem with nb at 2000 but why not pushing it to 1400 if i'm allowed.
i can get 4.0 with no problem, but i have to put the core voltage to 1.5 and i don't like the ideea because in cpu-z, i also have reading of 1.6v on cpu which i find pretty much for it .
i don't want to use it in x6 because i saw that it performs worse in games than an OC x4 cpu.

cristispot

Nov 11, 2013
Darn, that's too bad you can't get to 4GHz, but it isn't a special magical barrier, it is just another ~5% clock speed, which honestly wouldn't likely be very noticeable.

Sorry, I missed your earlier question... what resolution do you game at? You'll probably bottleneck the GTX680 a bit, I game on a 4.03GHz PhII x6 with a 7970 (pretty close in performance as a GTX680) and have no complaints, though I am sure the Thuban holds it back some. But I play more RPG's and strategy games, so it isn't really a problem for the games I play. The PhII is a good CPU, but it is what it is, a budget part these days... don't expect miracles. :)

What happens if you push the multiplier to 19.5, it crashes? I run my PhII at 1.5v, but that is probably pushing it for most people. Any luck unlocking it to an x6?

i play at 1680x1050 and everything on ultra,where the game allows that .
i could probablly push it to 19.5 also, and get like 3.9 ,but it won;t be such a big difference so i let i like this for now.
i'm sure i could squeeze more juice out of it, but with the price of getting hotter and louder fan noise.

Dec 30, 2004
well i based my asumption of nb frequency on this :
http://www.overclockers.com/the-importance-of-northbridge-overclocking-with-the-phenom-ii/

i had no problem with nb at 2000 but why not pushing it to 1400 if i'm allowed.
i can get 4.0 with no problem, but i have to put the core voltage to 1.5 and i don't like the ideea because in cpu-z, i also have reading of 1.6v on cpu which i find pretty much for it .
i don't want to use it in x6 because i saw that it performs worse in games than an OC x4 cpu.

leave the cpu voltage as is
turn down the CPU-NB to 2000, turn the frequency to 4ghz, and re-stress-test.
is it stable?
I'm fairly certain your instability is due to the CPU-NB. If so, then you need to increase your CPU-NB voltage, not downclock from 4ghz. Does this make sense?

cristispot

Nov 11, 2013
yes it does. i'll try to do that, but i just hope that it won't make my cpu hotter.

EDIT: i did that u asked me to, but all i get is bluescreen:( i guess i have to give more voltage eighter to the cpu or nb.

i tried with 1.45 v to cpu and 1.2 to nb but it didn't work

Last edited: