Phenom 2 outrageous temps

houe

Nov 10, 2005
I have an ECS A780GM-A Ultra motherboard with a phenom 2 940 installed. AMD overdrive is reporting the 4 core temps as about 50C idle and I've seen them up to 75C load. So I got rid of the stock heat sink/fan and installed my ol xp-90 with a am2 adapter. It helped only slightly and the temps are still insanely high. I am not overclocking and keeping default bios settings. I'm using arctic silver 5 thermal grease. I can't think of much else, but maybe the ECS board is reporting the wrong temps? Thoughts or experiences with this mobo? Yeah i know its ECS, but come on!

drizek

Golden Member
Jul 7, 2005
What case/cooling do you have? Did you have another processor on the motherboard before? Which one and what temps were you getting?

Dec 24, 2008
its not that bad, my phenom 2 gets about 65C at load, and thats with a xigmatek cooler and 2 92mm fans. At idle, it's about 44C.
Whats your ambient temperature, and also, check using overdrive, or other software and if its still high, reapply the cooler/thermal paste.

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
Originally posted by: houe
75C load

What do you mean by load? prime95 on my E6600 will run at 60C but linpack runs at 70C. taltamir is right about the 125W TDP. it's possible that 75C is a normal operating temperature.

edit:
while running OCCT's linpack to check that temperature, it detected errors. God damn this hot weather!

edit again:
In desperation I've set the E6600 back to stock speeds and stock voltage with its stock heatsink. Load temp in OCCT is 75-80 celcius after it's running for a few minutes. If your Phenom is running at that temperature and it's not having any calculation problems, I would say that sounds perfectly reasonable.

houe

Nov 10, 2005
Originally posted by: drizek
What case/cooling do you have? Did you have another processor on the motherboard before? Which one and what temps were you getting?

Got the board and cpu and a combo deal. I came from an intel so I did not have another cpu in it before.

edit: I have an antec solo case.

houe

Nov 10, 2005
Originally posted by: Asianman
its not that bad, my phenom 2 gets about 65C at load, and thats with a xigmatek cooler and 2 92mm fans. At idle, it's about 44C.
Whats your ambient temperature, and also, check using overdrive, or other software and if its still high, reapply the cooler/thermal paste.

Room temp now is 78F. Those temps i gave were from overdrive. I've seen people talk about mid 50s for a load temp so I was getting a bit concerned.

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
keep in mind that modern processors are usually rated for 95 to 105 degrees C of max operating temp, (depending on model and make).
Although I prefer much much lower temps. (maxing them out is a good way to have your processor fail right after the warranty ends. in fact intel says this is what they base their binning on, their aim, is to clock it just high enough for failures to start at 3 years)

Before asking you what your room temp or case temp are. I am gonna give you the benefit of the doubt (you did upgrade the HSF after all) and instead ask you... what is your VID? (use CPUz to find out)...
Although... actually forget benefit of the doubt, I'd be doing you a disservice if you really made a mistake... It wasn't mentioned yet so let me ask. which thermal paste did you use and how did you apply it, and how much did you use.

houe

Nov 10, 2005
Originally posted by: taltamir
keep in mind that modern processors are usually rated for 95 to 105 degrees C of max operating temp, (depending on model and make).
Although I prefer much much lower temps. (maxing them out is a good way to have your processor fail right after the warranty ends. in fact intel says this is what they base their binning on, their aim, is to clock it just high enough for failures to start at 3 years)

Before asking you what your room temp or case temp are. I am gonna give you the benefit of the doubt (you did upgrade the HSF after all) and instead ask you... what is your VID? (use CPUz to find out)...
Although... actually forget benefit of the doubt, I'd be doing you a disservice if you really made a mistake... It wasn't mentioned yet so let me ask. which thermal paste did you use and how did you apply it, and how much did you use.

I used arctic silver 5 paste. I've installed a lot of heat sinks and believe my technique is pretty good. Used a thin layer over the whole cpu. Room temp is no more than 80F. I guess from what i'm hearing I shouldn't be too concerned about these temps?

Edit: oh I have cpu-z and I don't see any information about a VID...

drizek

Golden Member
Jul 7, 2005

Got the board and cpu and a combo deal. I came from an intel so I did not have another cpu in it before.

I have the same case and my X3 idles at around room temperature, and at load is between 40-50C, depending on room temperature. I think you just need a better cpu cooler, and make sure you have Cool n Quiet working to lower your idle temps.

houe

Nov 10, 2005
Originally posted by: richierich1212
VID = core voltage in cpu-z. What is your CPU's core voltage as listed in cpu-z?

OK Thanks. The voltage is 1.36V.

houe

Nov 10, 2005

I have the same case and my X3 idles at around room temperature, and at load is between 40-50C, depending on room temperature. I think you just need a better cpu cooler, and make sure you have Cool n Quiet working to lower your idle temps.

In vista64 my idle temp is around 36C (8-9C lower than XP). Vista drops the voltage to 1.00V and underclocks to 800Mhz. XP pro doesn't seem to do this. This morning a stress test showed about 68C load, but its a bit cooler in my room this morning. WEll the XP-90 is better than the stock cooler, but maybe you are correct and I should get a high end cooler....

LoneNinja

Jan 5, 2009
Have you tried messing around with your case fans? I discovered my Phenom 9850 runs coolest with just a single exhaust fan on the side of the case. Putting the case fan in the back of the case, or having both an intake and exhaust fan regardless of where I placed either one, caused nearly a 10c increase in my cpu temp. Personally my Phenom II 940(in a different computer) idles below 30c(800mhz) and after an hour of stress testing under prime95 reaches 63c(3.4Ghz) and that is with a single case fan and the stock cooler.

drizek

Golden Member
Jul 7, 2005
Use a program to drop your idle voltage even lower. I have mine at .775v instead of 1.000v, and it does help. You can also lower your max voltage as well if you don't want to overclock.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com

In vista64 my idle temp is around 36C (8-9C lower than XP). Vista drops the voltage to 1.00V and underclocks to 800Mhz. XP pro doesn't seem to do this. This morning a stress test showed about 68C load, but its a bit cooler in my room this morning. WEll the XP-90 is better than the stock cooler, but maybe you are correct and I should get a high end cooler....

High end cooler?

i am using a $30 Cooler Master Hyper N212 to cool my Phenom IIs :p

the *difference* is that my 550 X2 idles at 50 C at 3.7 GHz with the stock cooler and 20C cooler with the N212 .. that is as far as i got with my OC with the stock cooler; it is 3.9 GHz with the better cooler and the temps never go over 40C now
rose.gif

Eureka

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
I think Phenom IIs just run hot in general... my 955 at 1.4v runs 44C/60C with a Xigmatek S1283 with a Scythe Slipstream 1900rpm fan.

Spoelie

Oct 8, 2005
my 920 @ 3.36ghz @ 1.325v runs 30°C idle and 56°C load (prime95) - locked multipliers so just did a 20% HTT thing

Yes I got CnQ running, prefer it that way

Scythe SFLEX 1200rpm on Thermalright Ultra120A (original 4 heatpipe, non-extreme, non copper version)

eternalone

Golden Member
Sep 10, 2008
Depends on your luck with the cpu you get. Some 940's run notoriously hot, some dont return it and exchange it for another 940, maybe you got one of the ones that run abnormally hot.