Phanteks RGB LED Combo & Asus Z370-I - Works?

dclive

Elite Member
Oct 23, 2003
I have the older (ie not the brand new "digital" RGB) Phanteks RGB LED Combo kit:

https://www.amazon.com/Phanteks-PH-...1526181667&sr=8-1&keywords=phanteks+led+combo

And I have an Asus Z370-I :

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-Z370-I-GAMING/

The Phanteks combo includes "Asus Aura" details (Works with...) on the box.

I have the Phanteks cable plugged into the Asus MB's RGB connection. The Asus MB has a 12V pin, and I've connected that to the 5V pin on the Phanteks cable. (Or the reverse...)

When I open up Aura (latest version 1.05.32.2) I see my RAM and the RGB headers on the motherboard, but it still says "ADD STRIP..." in the Aura utility (implying to me it doesn't see the strip....) and I can't control it or do anything with it.

What am I doing wrong? I've never used a MB LED strip before. I just got something basic to try it....

Dec 12, 2001
The Asus Aura software is incredibly buggy and it doesn't even see my motherboard on there. I gave up trying to make it work. I have a feeling it's the software and not your setup.

dclive

Elite Member
Oct 23, 2003
The Asus Aura software is incredibly buggy and it doesn't even see my motherboard on there. I gave up trying to make it work. I have a feeling it's the software and not your setup.
Out of curiousity, what motherboard do you have?

Dec 12, 2001
What version of the Aura software are you running?
Whatever the latest one is on their site. It worked fine for a day. Then out of the blue my lights were just a solid color on my case fans and motherboard LEDs. I tried going back into the software to change it and it wasn’t seeing my motherboard. It gave me some odd errors trying to uninstall and reinstall so I had to use a 3rd party app to force it to uninstall. Tried installing again and no errors but still didn’t work. Finally I uninstalled it and just left the motherboard default of cycling through the colors. The ROG forums have a lot of complaints about the software, some pretty harsh.