pfSense and email port forwarding question PIA openVPN

BirdDad

Golden Member
Nov 25, 2004
How do I forward a port in pfSense (587) so that my parents can get their precious email sent?
it is unencrypted with an unsecured password. my ISP blocks anything that is attempted to be sent(email wise) through a VPN and I cannot get them to switch to something like Gmail.

BirdDad

Golden Member
Nov 25, 2004
it is the smtp only that I have problems with, there is nothing wrong with pop.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Some ISPs block port 25 outgoing which means you can't connect to an outside SMTP server to send mail that way. Is that the problem you are running into? I'm just not sure on the exact setup you have can you give more details?

I found out that my ISP blocks 25 outgoing, so what I ended up having to do is make postfix (on my email server) listen on port 26 too. So to send mail I use port 26, but since it's acting as a receiving mail server as well I still needed port 25 open so other servers can talk to it. Postfix thankfully allows this. Basically port 25 to receive mail from other servers, port 26 for me to send mail.

Essence_of_War

Platinum Member
Feb 21, 2013
Some ISPs block port 25 outgoing which means you can't connect to an outside SMTP server to send mail that way. Is that the problem you are running into? I'm just not sure on the exact setup you have can you give more details?

I found out that my ISP blocks 25 outgoing, so what I ended up having to do is make postfix (on my email server) listen on port 26 too. So to send mail I use port 26, but since it's acting as a receiving mail server as well I still needed port 25 open so other servers can talk to it. Postfix thankfully allows this. Basically port 25 to receive mail from other servers, port 26 for me to send mail.

I don't think this is what the OP is trying to do. Port 25 is supposed to be for mail-server to mail-server communication, clients submit mail to servers on port 587, I think. The OP isn't trying to run a mail server.

OP, have you read any of the pfsense documentation?
https://doc.pfsense.org/index.php/How_can_I_forward_ports_with_pfSense?

BirdDad

Golden Member
Nov 25, 2004
I read what you posted and also the troubleshooting link on that page. All I want to do is set 587 to go outbound and not have any traffic come in that way. We won't have this ISP for long hopefully(they MIGHT be installing cable here, if so I can dump this DSL).
But my parents are old and wont even attempt to use gmail. They like Thunderbird and I need to set it up so that they can get their email for as long as we have this service.
The service is unencrypted password sent insecurely and a whole mountain of poop reasons on why we should ditch it.

Essence_of_War

Platinum Member
Feb 21, 2013
I read what you posted and also the troubleshooting link on that page. All I want to do is set 587 to go outbound and not have any traffic come in that way. We won't have this ISP for long hopefully(they MIGHT be installing cable here, if so I can dump this DSL).
But my parents are old and wont even attempt to use gmail. They like Thunderbird and I need to set it up so that they can get their email for as long as we have this service.
The service is unencrypted password sent insecurely and a whole mountain of poop reasons on why we should ditch it.

You'll have to be more clear about what your problem is then.

Do you not understand the pfsense syntax? Do you not understand how to find the NAT menus? Something else?