Peter Molyneux & GODUS Kickstarter

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
I'm with you 100% GoodRevrnd

Molyneux is so full of shit when he talks about what you'll be able to do in his games.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
I funded Wasteland 2, Project Obsidian, Grim Dawn and Shadowrun (single-player) but I'm going to pass on this one.

Molyneux's games have been hit or miss for me, so I'll need to see him deliver something I want before he gets any of my money.

DooKey

Golden Member
Nov 9, 2005
Agree with all of the above. Molyneux will only get my money once the reviews come in and then friends recommend it.

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
I might buy into this; I have to look at it more closely. There's a lot of companies I give the benefit of a doubt that they were hamstrung by publishers (Obsidian being the clearest I think), but this guy seems to have too big of ambitions for them to be feasible regardless of publisher actions. If it looks like it's just pie in the sky/would take an army of doctorate comp sci programmers to implement, I'll pass.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I like his innovation and am backing it. Concerned about it being 'PC and mobile' though.

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
I'm glad no one is going to listen to you guys.

Black & White
Fable
The Movies
A dozen games with Bullfrog all game changers
Fable

I found Black & White to have been grossly over-hyped. The Fables were all generally uninteresting. Don't know anything about The Movies. Fact is there's been too much disappointment since the Bullfrog days for me to give him a chance.

AdamantC

Apr 19, 2011
I like his innovation and am backing it. Concerned about it being 'PC and mobile' though.

Except the man tends to promise the stars... then delivers a Yugo with the stars painted on it by a crazy hobo who's not even done painting said stars.

He's kind of like a John Romero that keeps getting money for some reason.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
Except the man tends to promise the stars... then delivers a Yugo with the stars painted on it by a crazy hobo who's not even done painting said stars.

He's kind of like a John Romero that keeps getting money for some reason.

How can you compare him to Romero who delivered virtually nothing. Molyneux has delivered countless classic games over a long period of time, his works are often innovative and genre creating. Every company from Firaxis to EA to Introversion promise the stars and often fall short.

Sure, his stars aim higher and fall further than most, but at least he delivers something instead of vaporware while delivering mechanics that are well outside the boring box of most.

I found Black & White to have been grossly over-hyped. The Fables were all generally uninteresting. Don't know anything about The Movies. Fact is there's been too much disappointment since the Bullfrog days for me to give him a chance.

Over hyped is also a classic situation that most developers find themselves in; it seems to be a PC norm. The Movies and Black & White alone brought elements to gaming that hadn't been seen before. I understand what you guys are saying, but you can't deny what he's done for PC gaming and without him around we would have even more mindless, unchanged in 10 years shooters to look forward to.

Last edited:

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
I wont deny he has brought good to gaming. But he has used up all his good well and then some from the Fable series and how he repeated hyped it up and it feel miserably short each and every time while not doing anything new or at least note worthy. That is why he gets a lot of crap now, he talks big game and fails to deliver, acknowledges he did so and then repeats the whole process over.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
I want to play new games from Obsidian and Brian Fargo, but based on the last decade of his work I probably won't want to play Molyneux's.

It's like cutting edge classical music or haute cuisine. You can stand back and admire the innovation, but that doesn't mean you enjoy it.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Molyneux has one huge problem: he thinks of too many interesting ideas. This problem gets exacerbated in one of two ways: it's not feasible (money or time-wise) or it just doesn't work that well.

Honestly, the prior doesn't bother me that much unless you follow the game's development and lap up all that he spews. However, it's the latter that ends up bugging the crap out of me, and Fable 3 is the most egregious example of it yet. I recall hearing him talk about how he would give players this awesome area to go to when you hit start: your sanctuary. What I never realized was that he would end up removing almost all the menus that we're accustomed to. Now, I'm not one that is against change simply because it's different, but I am one that's against change because it makes things worse. Fable 3's menus made everything simply take longer to do and for very little added benefit, and even though he gave us an "improved map", it was still terrible and completely worthless.

It makes me wonder who in the world play tests his games. It took me only a few minutes to realize, "Wow... this is terrible." :\

EDIT:

To sum it up, Peter Molyneux is the gaming equivalent of George Lucas.

Last edited:

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
How can you compare him to Romero who delivered virtually nothing. Molyneux has delivered countless classic games over a long period of time, his works are often innovative and genre creating. Every company from Firaxis to EA to Introversion promise the stars and often fall short.

Sure, his stars aim higher and fall further than most, but at least he delivers something instead of vaporware while delivering mechanics that are well outside the boring box of most.

Over hyped is also a classic situation that most developers find themselves in; it seems to be a PC norm. The Movies and Black & White alone brought elements to gaming that hadn't been seen before. I understand what you guys are saying, but you can't deny what he's done for PC gaming and without him around we would have even more mindless, unchanged in 10 years shooters to look forward to.

I just don't think he even delivers on his "innovative features." By the time they actually make it into the game they are a minute fraction of what he was claiming they would be. I found the Fables to be generic action RPGs with nothing particularly innovative or interesting in them. Black & White fell sooooo flat from what we were made to expect. The gesture system was grossly oversimplified while still being cumbersome to use, and beyond that there wasn't much of a game at all beyond a dumbed down Populous.

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
I wont deny he has brought good to gaming. But he has used up all his good well and then some from the Fable series and how he repeated hyped it up and it feel miserably short each and every time while not doing anything new or at least note worthy. That is why he gets a lot of crap now, he talks big game and fails to deliver, acknowledges he did so and then repeats the whole process over.

To be fair, a publisher makes certain demands that even a big name/brand can't brush aside. The most obvious of which is a deadline. But there are other less obvious and perhaps even subtle requests a publisher will make (demand) that may completely alter the creative energy of any product.

Going the Kickstarter route, Molyneux should be able to approach publishers with at least a little more leverage, but I'm not donating. I think Black & White are the only games of his I am remotely interested in, and both fell short of really impressing me.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
I just don't think he even delivers on his "innovative features." By the time they actually make it into the game they are a minute fraction of what he was claiming they would be. I found the Fables to be generic action RPGs with nothing particularly innovative or interesting in them. Black & White fell sooooo flat from what we were made to expect. The gesture system was grossly oversimplified while still being cumbersome to use, and beyond that there wasn't much of a game at all beyond a dumbed down Populous.

I didn't play Fable so I'd be lying on what he didn't or did deliver.

I never played a game prior to Black and White that allowed gesture control, the training of your 'animals' and elements where they went dark or light depending on how you trained them. That's pretty innovative to me.

Same for The Movies, there's never been such a free form movie construction set like it which alone makes it innovative in my eyes.

Again, I don't know too many devs that deliver on what they promise.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
To sum it up, Peter Molyneux is the gaming equivalent of George Lucas.

This line says it all

I imagine he's resorting to kickstarter because he doesn't have any devs that'll support is ridiculousness any longer. He may have had some good ideas in the past, but now he's just bullshitting his way through releases.

Soundmanred

Lifer
Oct 26, 2006
Like others have said, he's used up his chances and failed to deliver consistently.
I HAVE played his other games including Fable, and while the Fable series is OK, it's a far cry from what he said it was going to be. It's average at best, and uninteresting and tedious at least.

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
tl;dr, Peter Molyneux gives enough ppl hardons, that hes raised 170k with 25+ days to go.

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
I was considering funding it, I do like god games. Then I watched the supposedly funny videos about the game and frankly they are laughing at the audience about how they wont deliver the vision.

Mandres

Jun 8, 2011
He's burned up all his goodwill with me. I haven't enjoyed a molyneaux game is 10+ years.

pretty much exactly like George Lucas.