PETA threatens Clay Aiken

miguel

Nov 2, 2001
PETA threatens Clay Aiken with Ad unless he posts neutered info on his website.

Another Source

From the article:

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals has delayed a new ad campaign with the slogan "Get Neutered, It Didn't Hurt Clay Aiken (search)," while it waits to see if Aiken will apologize for negative comments he made about cats, PETA officials said Tuesday.

The ad features the crass puppet Triumph the Insult Comic dog (search) from "Late Night" with Conan O'Brien urging pet owners to spay or neuter their animals. The barb came from Triumph, but PETA allowed the ad because of an interview Aiken gave to Rolling Stone Magazine in June where he said he didn't like cats.

[PETA] said if Aiken will post a message on his Web site urging pet owners to spay or neuter their animals, and give an interview for PETA's Web site, the ad campaign will be modified to "Cut 'em off. They don't taste that great anyway."

daniel1113

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
So now people can't dislike cats without hearing from PETA? I better not tell anyone that I despise felines... oops... already did :)

miguel

Nov 2, 2001
Originally posted by: tnitsuj
Who the hell is Clay Aiken?

It's mentioned in the articles who he is.

Aiken, runner-up of "American Idol," recently released a solo album "Measure of a Man," debuted at No. 1 last month and has sold about 1 million copies.

JackDawkins

Aug 15, 2003
Can't Aiken sue PETA if they run that ad? I don't know anything about this Aiken guy but I'd think that unless he's been neutered that ad is defamation of character. Then again, I'm proabably wrong.

rahvin

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: JackDawkins
Can't Aiken sue PETA if they run that ad? I don't know anything about this Aiken guy but I'd think that unless he's been neutered that ad is defamation of character. Then again, I'm proabably wrong.

It would depend, he's a public figure so he has less protection. I would like to see him sue and win though, a nice bankrupt peta would be a good thing.

konichiwa

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Doubt it -- seems like the Larry Flynt case. It's protected parody because no reasonable person could really believe that Clay Aiken would be neutered and would make an ad about it.