Perfect Encryption

ramirez

May 6, 2005
Me and a coworker were having a convo about this. I read somewhere that every encryption technique is breakable, given enough time. Is there any truth to this? Is there such a thing as a perfect encrytion algorithm that is unbreakable?

orakle

Golden Member
Nov 28, 2002
Every encryption scheme is just a matter of time - eventually you'll run out of possible keys. It's just that sometimes a matter of time is a matter of decades or centuries of CPU time.

ramirez

May 6, 2005
Originally posted by: orakle
Every encryption scheme is just a matter of time - eventually you'll run out of possible keys. It's just that sometimes a matter of time is a matter of decades or centuries of CPU time.

This is what I was trying to prove. Do you know of any good links to prove this? I couldn't find any...

totalcommand

Platinum Member
Apr 21, 2004
Originally posted by: ramirez

This is what I was trying to prove. Do you know of any good links to prove this? I couldn't find any...

Well, amount of CPU time depends on the encryption algorithm.

Just think about it logically.

Every encryption needs a key, and in strong encryption it's a matter of guessing the key. So it's just a matter of time (it can be a long time) before the key is guessed.

Juice Box

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2003
Originally posted by: totalcommand
Originally posted by: ramirez

Well, amount of CPU time depends on the encryption algorithm.

Just think about it logically.

Every encryption needs a key, and in strong encryption it's a matter of guessing the key. So it's just a matter of time (it can be a long time) before the key is guessed.

Right, there are only so many letters/number/characters in existance...that being said, there will always be the potential to "guess" the key

slackwarelinux

Sep 22, 2004
A 'one time pad' encoded message with a truly random key the same length of the message is unbreakable (not accounting for user error).

The problem is that it is hard to be that random, and user error happens.
So.. uh.. nothing is perfect.

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000
There is one that is said to be unbreakable - they use a fiber link between two points and due to quantum mechanics any listener can be detected.
http://www.nist.gov/public_affairs/releases/quantumfiber.htm
Conventional encryption is typically based on mathematical complexity and may be broken given sufficiently powerful computers and enough time. In contrast, QKD produces encryption codes based on the quantum states of individual photons and is considered ?verifiably secure.? Under the principles of quantum physics, measuring a photon's quantum state destroys that state. QKD systems are specifically designed so that eavesdropping causes detectable changes in the system.

Its explained very well in "The Code Book", along with lots of other cryptography stuff.
http://www.amazon.com/Code-Book-Science-Secrecy-Cryptography/dp/0385495323

biggestmuff

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2001
With encrypted comms, why bother trying to break the transmission encryption? It'd be quicker and easier to find where the data is stored and take it from there. Most stuff today is bulk encrypted via a KG-75 (FASLANE) or a KG-175 (TACLANE). You won't be cracking those in your lifetime even if they didn't perform keychanges.